It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger son's school killing spree? Friends say she believed world

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm not necessarily subscribing to that theory but I could not figure out why the mother bought the weapon that looked similar to a AR-15...I said similar not the same before I get corrected. Just thought it was not a gun a mother would want to shoot and just assumed she bought it so her kids could use it...yes that's a sexist comment but that was my initial thought..wonder if she belonged to any local gun ranges...what's the fun of owning a gun if you are not practicing now and then...

I dont mean to be disrespectful but this is way off base.
It looked like an AR-15 because it WAS and AR-15.
By all that I have read so far about her firearms she was an avid shooter and was very much interested in target shooting and self defense.
No one has produced any evidence that she took her sons shooting. Either of her sons. Apparently this is a hobby that she only recently became interested in, supposedly since her divorce. That is to say sometime in the last 5 or 6 years. Her oldest son is 24 and most likely was out of the home before she took up shooting. The shooter was very much home bound and intorverted and no one at the local ranges has reported that he shot there however they have reported that she shot there.
There is very little evidence that he actually shot the weapons at all. The fact is this could have been the first time that he actually fired them.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I am not buying it. I would like this BS to be confirmed first. What neighbors? Sorry, I don´t think so.

Next they will say his,

prepper, veteran, cash carrying, constitutionalist, mother planned the whole thing. Um, no.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You don't need a family member for that. He had a Facebook page so he was on the internet. You can find information both pro and con by using Google. Society did/is doing something to our children. Mental health issues aside, there is not just one singularity at fault. It is an accumulation of things.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

Yeah, I'd like to know about the second suspect who was arrested at the scene wearing camo pants and a dark jacket. It was reported on CBS and here on the Washington Post initially: www.washingtonpost.com...

Also, a local story reported a person in custody:
www.inquisitr.com...

And here is another: fox43.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have been reading these threads and the stories about this incident since it happened and I would like to say one thing.
We do not build our society around the possible actions of madmen.
For everyone screaming for more laws and more government intervention PLEASE stop.
We cannot fathom the mental workings behind these types of actions. We cannot understand the meaning because there IS NO MEANING! The logic behind these actions is the logic of the twisted mind. Its not the logic of healthy individuals and therefore we cannot understand it or make calculations by it. That being the case we cannot design law or social norms around it. Does anyone think that it is the fault of cheap and readily available automobiles that cause people to get intoxicated and smash innocent drivers? NO Is it the proliferation of home swiming pools that cause the thousands of drownings each summer or the seemingly endless number of unsecured 5 gallon buckets? NO we rightly place the blame for these tragedies where it belongs.

In this case it is the mentally defective youngman and not his method of "problem solving" that is at fault. Was he under medicated or over medicated or not medicated who knows? Was it the forced intergration into "mainstream" school classes that placed him into very uncomfortable social situaitons he was incapable of handling?
Was it a decade of his mother telling him how super and special he was smashing head long into the reality of how he was not at all like the other kids? Are we seeing the inevitable result of a decade of social work methodology that gave us the "self esteem" movement? This kid had no ability to fuction in a social environment but I bet he had some trophies for participating!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well, not knowing the full details, I can't really weigh in on the mother.

However, knowing a bit of human psychology, I can give opinion on child rearing.

Teaching a kid how to be thrifty and cautious is a good thing. There is great value in this, be it for simply being a responsible adult, or living well in the bunker during the zombie apoc sort of thing.

But freaking them out about end of the world nonsense and stuff...leave all that out, and when your discussing it with someone old enough to be considered responsible, then make damn sure they know its only your opinion and worry verses a objective fact....

I am well above 30 now, and on paper, far my mother and fathers mental superior, however, if mom says something to me, even now I hear it as a son verses a equal, and give a lot more benefit of the doubt than I would with anyone else...something most parent/children share for like ever...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragoon01
We do not build our society around the possible actions of madmen.

Actually, this is incorrect. Most laws, rules, etc are not for the majority, its for the few minority.
Most people won't murder in a civil society...some will, which means laws and punishment must be implemented..not because without them, everyone would go nuts and murder each other..but because sometimes someone will go off the range and do that, and we have created a structure to know how to deal with this craziness when it happens.

the "honor system" only effects the people with honor...not everyone, as not everyone has honor. Most do, many don't.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

Was their a second gunman involved in this recent shooting?

is right up where you are thinking....

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerdyclutzyblonde
What struck me as the oddest in this article (assuming the media has got it right) is that NO ONE went into her home. Her son spent 99.9% of his time at home. No one in his family has had much (if anything) to do with him including his brother & his father, in the past two years.

He was never left alone when he had a babysitter - even when he needed to use the restroom????

I'm all about privacy & don't care for having strangers or even acquaintances in my home. But no one being in the home. No one in his family having anything to do with him - for years???

Very strange to me.

Not strange really. Sadly. I've been there. Soon I'll be there again. I'm still trying to find a way out of the hole. Family doesn't visit because of two things. Some family doesn't want to see it because they don't want to be reminded that their kid too could have had autism. Other family don't visit because they believe you are a horrible parent and they do not want their child associating with yours for fear their child will suddenly become bad too now.

Also, if other kids saw him as "weird", he likely didn't have many friends, so he didn't go to many houses, nor many kids to go to his. So his mom didn't have many mother's to socialize with. (I know from experience.) I'm sure he was left alone when he used the restroom. Unless that was in an article somewhere????
Where did you see that??? Odd. Maybe for fear of him hurting himself to feel pain? His brother was at college and then went on to a job, his dad, well, the divorce was acrimonious. Though I AM surprised that dad hasn't at least attempted to claim his body through the coroner yet. I understand the wife, but at least claim your son!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
They have reported that the mother loved to take her sons to the shooting range. Right?

Didnt the older brother claim he had not talked to his younger brother in over 2 years?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What a way to spin this.

First attack firearms.
Now, attack Prepers and Survivalist.
Looks like the Govts plan is going along nicely.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I am trying to link survivalists and economic collapse to shooting up a school full of children. I could see her triggering him to attack those who she thinks are responsible for the economic collapse, but children..

this sounds like a stretch

I think he true motivation was a craving for attention and hatred of his life. Maybe because no one payed attention to him since his mother was obviously to busy prepping.

Then he saw on tv how some other kids his age became known, feared and awed at. He saw how news stations, radio stations could not get enough of those kids... and all they did was shoot up a school.

Shooting up a highschool had been done. ... shooting up a college had been done... hmm what's left to make him stand out?? OH YES SHOOT UP KIDS UNDER THE AGE OF TEN.

what will be next a daycare.??

We need to stop glorifiing these jerks.

but blaming the media is inconvenient right OP??
edit on 17-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMasterMinder

"Looking for things to blame other than the shooter himself is pointless."

I have not seen anyone not blame him, we suspect he very well did do it and even if he didn't he is dead so its mute. But if there are more and more pieces to the puzzle falling out of the box, then there's no reason continuing to look for more blame on others if they are involved? Or should we just let anyone else involved go because , well we got one dead shooter anyway and that good enough? I don't understand that thinking, if it was my kids id want to know every damn last piece of evidence, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem at the time.

But the only way to know you have covered every angle no matter how weird, is to cover those angles and discuss them. and discuss them into the dirt until that angle is dead.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

From what I've read about this woman, she was a prepper. Also, she was considered a pillar of the community. The media can say what they like but I know she was a good woman.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger son's school killing spree? Friends say she believed world was on edge of collapse

www.dailymail.co.uk

The mother of the loner who massacred 26 pupils and staff at a US primary school may have played a major part in his catastrophic mental breakdown, it emerged last night.

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid ‘survivalist’ who believed the world was on the verge of violent, economic collapse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

what was her ATS account name?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

What a way to spin this.

First attack firearms.
Now, attack Prepers and Survivalist.
Looks like the Govts plan is going along nicely.

2 birds with 1 stone... currently

They will find more birds

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kituwa
They have reported that the mother loved to take her sons to the shooting range. Right?

Didnt the older brother claim he had not talked to his younger brother in over 2 years?

Why has no one bought up the fact if she had a child who had mental issues and she knew it why was she taking him to the shooting range and not therapy?!!?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29

What struck me as the oddest in this article (assuming the media has got it right) is that NO ONE went into her home. Her son spent 99.9% of his time at home. No one in his family has had much (if anything) to do with him including his brother & his father, in the past two years.

He was never left alone when he had a babysitter - even when he needed to use the restroom????

I'm all about privacy & don't care for having strangers or even acquaintances in my home. But no one being in the home. No one in his family having anything to do with him - for years???

Very strange to me.

Not strange really. Sadly. I've been there. Soon I'll be there again. I'm still trying to find a way out of the hole. Family doesn't visit because of two things. Some family doesn't want to see it because they don't want to be reminded that their kid too could have had autism. Other family don't visit because they believe you are a horrible parent and they do not want their child associating with yours for fear their child will suddenly become bad too now.

Also, if other kids saw him as "weird", he likely didn't have many friends, so he didn't go to many houses, nor many kids to go to his. So his mom didn't have many mother's to socialize with. (I know from experience.) I'm sure he was left alone when he used the restroom. Unless that was in an article somewhere????
Where did you see that??? Odd. Maybe for fear of him hurting himself to feel pain? His brother was at college and then went on to a job, his dad, well, the divorce was acrimonious. Though I AM surprised that dad hasn't at least attempted to claim his body through the coroner yet. I understand the wife, but at least claim your son!

I'm not here to judge. I just think it is strange that NO ONE (assuming the reporter got this info correct) was inside her home.

As far as him not being able to use the restroom alone:

Ryan Kraft, who babysat for Mrs Lanza when Adam was ten, said the boy was prone to serious temper tantrums. The fiercely protective Mrs Lanza insisted the babysitter never left Adam on his own for a moment, even to go to the lavatory.

The whole story is just plain, down right sad and tragic. And it gets weirder and weirder by the day.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellbjorn012

Originally posted by Kituwa

Why has no one bought up the fact if she had a child who had mental issues and she knew it why was she taking him to the shooting range and not therapy?!!?

Sometimes it's hard to see what is right in front of you. My husband constantly called our daughter spoiled. Manipulative. Not understanding she was autistic. He refused to see it. He left me and her and she was in and out of hospitals and psych wards and yes, even jail because she didn't understand why daddy left and I did everything in my power to help her. Finally after a year of being told by him that it was my fault she was in this position and that he could do better, I drove her up there to drop her off.

He was pissed I interrupted his life. After 2 days he called to brag how awesome she was behaving and he didn't know what my problem was. Until 3 days after that, when she attacked him and his lover because he wouldn't give her more kool aid until dinner was done. A week after that she attacked a small boy because he sat in her imaginary friend's chair. The school gave my husband an option. Jail, or a psych ward.

After bouncing through 4 psych wards, she finally went to an autistic home with 5 other autistic children and stayed there for 6 months. She underwent behavioral therapy, counseling, among other things. She's fine now and most of her emotions under control. She makes a mistake now and then, but we all do. He didn't want to see that she was autistic. Was it because he saw it as he failed her somehow? I don't know. For years I told him, doctor's told him, but he didn't want to listen to it. I understand it. I didn't want to believe it either. He wanted me to keep trying for another baby. But every time I miscarried, he'd push to try again. And I'd miscarry again. Finally that's why he left. Because of my 5th miscarriage. I just got too depressed. I was 2 months along and I couldn't do it anymore. It's too much on you. I think he wanted the perfect child, but to me, we already had her.
edit on 12/18/2012 by happyhomemaker29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I'm not here to judge. I just think it is strange that NO ONE (assuming the reporter got this info correct) was inside her home.

As far as him not being able to use the restroom alone:

Ryan Kraft, who babysat for Mrs Lanza when Adam was ten, said the boy was prone to serious temper tantrums. The fiercely protective Mrs Lanza insisted the babysitter never left Adam on his own for a moment, even to go to the lavatory.

The whole story is just plain, down right sad and tragic. And it gets weirder and weirder by the day.

No, no, no, no. Don't get me wrong at all! I don't think you were judging. I apologize. I don't want you think that. I just wanted to give you an inside perspective is all. A been there, done that, if you will. There were times, when my daughter, in her tantrums, would dump all the shampoo bottles etc..., and my husband being the man who knows everything, insisted we not change our life for her so the bottles stay. Ugh. He didn't believe she was autistic, just that she was a "manipulative brat". Personally, it's so much easier to put the bottles on the shelve in the hallway and the razors, than it is to have to shell out almost $70/month replacing shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, body wash, etc... for every single person, and it's not like I can stop her from going to the bathroom. What am I going to tell my kid? Pee in the bucket? Plus, my daughter had maladaptive behaviors. She would purposely pee her bed or the floor just to tick him off and claim it was a seizure. (Because when she has a seizure she wets herself and she knows it.) Trust me when I say, autism is HELL when it's tantrum time. And they have MR and their brain is that of a 3 year, but family says not a # thing is wrong with them, so your spouse listens to family because they're a doctor now, serious double ugh! I can understand why not many people came through the house. My daughter's room looked like a hurricane hit it. ALWAYS. I was told by her doctor and her therapist she preferred it that way because she found comfort in chaos. It's possible the Lanza home wasn't always clean either and she didn't want people to see that.

And I definitely agree, sad, tragic, and downright WEIRD!
edit on 12/18/2012 by happyhomemaker29 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join