It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help With Gun Selection, Christmas Gift for The Wife

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
You are kind of wanting two contradictory uses.

Turkey hunting is traditionally done with a shotgun. It doesn’t do as much damage to the turkey. And it poses less danger to stuff down range of the turkey you are shooting because of the inherent limited range. Most state laws for turkey season state that you have to use a shotgun because of that.

Coyote hunting is best done with a rifle. You need a projectile with accuracy, and deep penetrating capability at range to penetrate the rib cage, or head. And coyote engagement will usually be at distances beyond the usable range of a shotgun, unless you have a small yard, or really brazen coyotes.

Beyond 60 yards or so, the velocity of bird shot drops off to the point that it won’t penetrate the animal. Beyond 100 yards or so, it won’t even hurt the animal, unless the animal gets hit in the eye with a piece of shot.

Buck shot is usable at ranges of a 100 yards or so on larger animals like deer. But the pattern opens up at such ranges to the point that a hit on a smaller animal is just pot luck.

You could use a rifled barrel for you shotgun, and use slugs, but the accuracy really isn’t up there for long range head, or vital area shots on a coyote.

So, prioritize. If coyotes are the biggest priority, get a rifle first, then a shotgun. If the turkeys are the priority, then get a shotgun first.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
scratch that i reread your OP, dont like the handguns.

Then i recommend a Mossberg SA-20

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FinalCountdown

Especially cause the break actions are so light by design that a pump or auto with just the heavier action and magazine is going to have considerably less recoil than a break action. An overunder would add some weight. A scoped .243 is pretty handy on varmints

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
You are kind of wanting two contradictory uses.

Turkey hunting is traditionally done with a shotgun. It doesn’t do as much damage to the turkey. And it poses less danger to stuff down range of the turkey you are shooting because of the inherent limited range. Most state laws for turkey season state that you have to use a shotgun because of that.

Coyote hunting is best done with a rifle. You need a projectile with accuracy, and deep penetrating capability at range to penetrate the rib cage, or head. And coyote engagement will usually be at distances beyond the usable range of a shotgun, unless you have a small yard, or really brazen coyotes.

Beyond 60 yards or so, the velocity of bird shot drops off to the point that it won’t penetrate the animal. Beyond 100 yards or so, it won’t even hurt the animal, unless the animal gets hit in the eye with a piece of shot.

Buck shot is usable at ranges of a 100 yards or so on larger animals like deer. But the pattern opens up at such ranges to the point that a hit on a smaller animal is just pot luck.

You could use a rifled barrel for you shotgun, and use slugs, but the accuracy really isn’t up there for long range head, or vital area shots on a coyote.

So, prioritize. If coyotes are the biggest priority, get a rifle first, then a shotgun. If the turkeys are the priority, then get a shotgun first.

Thanks. I do realize that hunting coyote should be done with a rifle.
However, I don't want to "hunt" the coyote, just blast them with bird shot and get them off my property and away from my chickens and dogs and cats

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

What Mr. Tranny said is correct.

Turkey hunting=shotgun.
Coyote cleanup=rifle.

If you are getting a shotgun, and have any concern with kick, today's 20-guage shells are just as viable as a 12-guage, particularly for birds.

As far as a rifle, I'd go with a 30-30, 30.06, or maybe a .308, though you're looking at a substantial kick and a helluva messy kill on a skinny coyote with a .308.

You could go with an AR chambered in .223. Not only do you have plenty of killing power you, you have plenty of control even your wife has a small frame.

Or a Kalashnikov in 5.45X39. Both would be fun to shoot while you're cleaning up the pest problem.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
However, I don't want to "hunt" the coyote, just blast them with bird shot and get them off my property and away from my chickens and dogs and cats

Trust me, after you have no more chickens, dogs and cats left, you will be regretting your restraint. I have already learned the lesson myself, the hard way. Shoot to kill when you get the chance, otherwise you will be shooting for revenge later, after you have nothing left.

After they survive a few interactions with you, then they will learn when they can do what they want on your property, and they will take full advantage of that knowledge.

Originally posted by iforget
A scoped .243 is pretty handy on varmints

Yes, anything from 204 ruger 22 hornet, 220 swift 223, 243, through 25-06 will be plenty enough for a coyote.

When you start getting into the .270 100 grain and higher range, then you are kind of getting into the overkill area. Yes, it will kill them, but why pay a dollar for a hard kicking round when a $0.30 more easily manageable 223 round will make them just as dead?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
I would definitely go with the 12 gauge. Great all around hunting weapon.

just remember to hold tight to the shoulder, some shotgun shells have a serious kick to them.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Benelli m4
Semiautomatic 12 gauge.
No kick.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi-Point makes pistol caliber carbines that are excelent defense weapons for a woman or a man. They are also reletively cheap. I was thinking of getting one chambered in .45 cal for my wife for Christmas this year.

www.hi-pointfirearms.com...

Check it out. May be ust what your looking for. 12 gauge shotguns are excellent home defense weapons as well. Load it with 00 or 000 buck and she could fire it from the hip and take care of any intruder or danger.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Trust me, after you have no more chickens, dogs and cats left, you will be regretting your restraint. I have already learned the lesson myself, the hard way. Shoot to kill when you get the chance, otherwise you will be shooting for revenge later, after you have nothing left.

After they survive a few interactions with you, then they will learn when they can do what they want on your property, and they will take full advantage of that knowledge.

Originally posted by iforget
A scoped .243 is pretty handy on varmints

Yes, anything from 204 ruger 22 hornet, 220 swift 223, 243, through 25-06 will be plenty enough for a coyote.

When you start getting into the .270 100 grain and higher range, then you are kind of getting into the overkill area. Yes, it will kill them, but why pay a dollar for a hard kicking round when a $0.30 more easily manageable 223 round will make them just as dead?

That sounds about right
thanks

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Bass Pro has a pellet gun that will kill a deer. I like high powered bb guns, the bb/pellet machine guns that work from freon, they can cut down a tree. Im know your lookin for the real deal though, Ive just been into bb guns lately.They cant take those.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazztrance
Ive just been into bb guns lately.They cant take those.

Um...Define ……“bb gun”……
That is where they get you.
Canada and the UK have already put restrictions on bb, and pellet guns a long time ago.

They do it by classifying them as “firearms” if they have a energy, or velocity over a specified amount.

If you bought a “high powered” pellet gun years ago in the UK when they had no laws over such thing, and you still have it in a closet in the back of your house, and you don’t have it registered, with a gun permit, then you are in possession of an illegal firearm, and you can be locked away.

Anyway, in the line of high powered air rifles, I kind of like this sucker.
www.crosman.com...

edit on 17-12-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Please dont do that. Kill them, dont maim them, that is very cruel. Either shoot to kill, or fire a warning shot to scare them, dont pelt them with some kind of shot. Then you might have a sick, dying coyote roaming around your house, that is dangerous.
I say shotgun because it can do what a rifle can to an extent, but a rifle cannot do what a shotgun can. Far more versatility with the shotguns.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

That is called the judge its a nice gun

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
My Taurus Millennium fits nicely into my purse. If I need bigger - I have a Ruger P58. I have to carry a bigger purse for that one. You guys have no fashion sense!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

It's The Judge made by Taurus.
It is easier to carry while wrangling kids and a dog, and the 410 slug will take out a black bear.

I should have kept reading, it is a good gun though, easy to carry and handle.
edit on 17-12-2012 by woodsmom because: should have read on

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Greetings ATS and Happy Holidays!
I want to get my wife her first gun for Christmas but I don't know what kind.

It would mainly be used for turkey hunting or coyote shooting, around the house.

Shotgun or rifle?

I think hand guns are too dangerous and not necessary for around the house shooting.

Right now I am leaning towards a single shot 12 gauge. Any thoughts?

Rugar .22 from walmart or dicks sporting goods. Seriously, The perfect beginners rifle. Easy to use, light, no kick, and is inexpensive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join