It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Find Evidence of Other Universes Lurking in the Cosmic Background

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Good find!

I think studies into the CMB as it relates to Parallel Universes is very interesting. I can't wait until the European Space Agency's Planck satellite gives us more accurate data.

There was also the evidence from Cosmologist and Theoretical Physicist Laura Mersini-Houghton about parallel universes. She made predictions for things like Dark Flow and the Cold Spot on the CMB as evidence of a parallel universe.

In 2007, Mersini-Houghton proposed that the observed CMB cold spot was "the unmistakable imprint of another universe beyond the edge of our own",[2] just as she and her collaborator had predicted in her theory 8 months earlier.[3]

In November 2008, a NASA team led by Alexander Kashlinsky[4] observed the Dark Flow of galaxy clusters in the universe at exactly the velocity and alignment predicted by her [5] earlier in the 'Cosmological Avatars of the Landscape I, II' papers in 2006.[6]

In the same year (2006) WMAP reached agreement with SDSS experiment, that the overall amplitude of fluctuation is less than 1. If these observational findings, predicted in the 2006 papers by Mersini-Houghton et al. are confirmed over the next few years, then they may offer the first evidence of a universe beyond our own. Such confirmation would tie the standard model of cosmology into a more coherent picture where our universe is not at the center of the world, but part of it.

After the observational confirmation of the three predictions (the Void, Dark Flow and Sigma8) her work continues to attract international media attention, GCHEP/UNC, in the New Scientist, Bild der Wissenschaft, Scientific American, and Discover magazine.

Two astrophysicists reported recently that they have found evidence of the northern hemisphere void in analysis of WMAP data.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

Again, she made predictions that were confirmed by experiments. This is science. People may not like the subject matter (Parallel Universes) but either you follow the scientific method or you don't.

She published papers, made predictions and the predictions were confirmed by experiments.

It will get interesting when the new data from the Planck Satellite becomes available.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This is old old news.. over 2 years I think

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Great find! S&F'd. Too bad, the original announcement wasn't noticed publicly. Sadly, that's how a lot of people are. They don't care. All they care about is who's sleeping with who and what no-talent star is eating for breakfast. Sad.

It'd be nice to prove any one of these theories. If only we can slide interdimensionally, like the TV Show Sliders.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

please provide evidence that this universe was not created by another one...

I didn't say it wasn't.
I said that that Penrose did not demonstrate that it was.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Kinda like this....a solar system that is on the move, like our own. Hurtling through space at breakneck speed. Its a miracle we haven't smashed into anything already...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So Phage probably conclusively debunked this. Though I'm still curious about those multiple rings found in the CMB 2 years ago which indicates our universe may have "restarted" multiple times. Unless that has been debunked too?

reply to post by alfa1

PopSci does act strange for me. For about a month when other people could read it, I couldn't at all and even though I can now, sometimes people's links just don't work. 6+ months ago this wasn't ever an issue.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I've got to ask...what do you do for a living Phage? It's not relevant to this discussion, your intellect honestly just seems ridiculous.

Also, that Lithgow avatar is sweet.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I guess this means the universe isn't infinite then?

So, is our universe just like one bubble in a soda?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

Though I'm still curious about those multiple rings found in the CMB 2 years ago which indicates our universe may have "restarted" multiple times. Unless that has been debunked too?

Do you mean the stuff in the OP? That is what the criticism was about.

The study was trashed by the astronomical community because the statistical analysis used to show that the "rings" were due to anything more than chance wasn't valid. This doesn't mean that it has been shown that there are not other universes, just that the evidence presented did not stand up to scrutiny.
edit on 12/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I think evidence of the multiverse will be found in the CMB. There's already theories and experimental confirmations that point to this.

I'm not sure about the cyclic model because it requires the big crunch. Instead I think eternal inflation might be on the right path.

Basically universes expand ad infinitum. So you will have a mother universe expand and then patches of space-time in that mother universe becomes packed with energy and information. At some point, this space can't contain the energy and information and a big bang occurs and universes expand from this mother universe. Those universes grow and then they become mother universes and this occurs ad infinitum.

I think this also means observers in these universes are eternal. In each universe observers have different experiences from the last mother universe they lived in.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That is true friend
I am more interested in the works of Mathew Kleban as well as Alan Gruths work on Inflation. The idea in essence that Inflation could be related to contact between our universe and another.

Cosmic Bubble Collisions

As well as I am looking forward to Planks results

Thus far the conversation has been very interesting and not just referring to just this thread....

Any thoughts?

PS: If your having problems with the screen click on the box in the right hand corner of the gadget. This will take you to an expanded screen that is easier to manage.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Kashai because: added and modified content

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff, my mind can't comprehend it.

But ok, i watched a documentary with Stephen Hawking a few months ago, he was saying the Universe and the Big Bang came from nothing and he doesn't believe in a god.

If there's multi-universes out there what does this say about 'the nothingness' before the big bang? What does this say about god? I'm sure Stephen Hawking knew about the muli-universe theory before he came out and said what he said on his beliefs, so would be interesting to hear what he and other scientists say on the 'higher power' matter if one day we do know FOR A FACT ours is one of many (or infinite) universes out there.
edit on 19-12-2012 by st3ve_o because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by st3ve_o

There are several types of Universe's in respect to Multiverse theory, thus far we have only discussed one of them. Another aspect relates to what is called the Electron cloud. It is the one that has often been popularized in the media, related to Universe's that occupy the same space/time. Consider the potential of a spherical shaped diamond with each facet representing a life experience (one person) in relation to the multiverse as a whole.

And that is just us...

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Here is the thing, Inflation presents that matter traveled faster that the speed of light. The problem is that according to Einstein that is impossible. Nonetheless inflation occurred, in order for our Universe to look the way it does. Here is the dilemma, when it comes to the standard models of conservative scientific ethic, there is no way matter traveled faster than light...but it did....one could say that what happened was that space/time is what actually expanded.

Why???

The thing is I have done everything in my power to insure that scientist actually attend this discussion

Time for a music break...

Any thoughts?
edit on 20-12-2012 by Kashai because: added content

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Here is the thing, Inflation presents that matter traveled faster that the speed of light
No. Inflation presents that space expanded faster than the speed of light. Space is not matter. Matter came later.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As I made clear I feel space/time was what expanded but how??? or why???

By that I mean besides another "Universe", giving birth to this one, what are alternative answers???

Perhaps you can elaborate on the idea of how "nothing" was the cause???

Any thoughts?
edit on 20-12-2012 by Kashai because: added content

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The MV theory, AT FIRST, seems mind-boggling almost in a way that the idea itself is not even conceivable.

But then I realize, it doesn't actually matter. Even "only" ONE universe, trying to conceive dimensions, distances, numbers etc. is already blowing my mind constantly, one just needs to look at Hubble pictures. Or some of those pictures where you see one single *Galaxy* and the billions of stars in it.

So..let's add 10, 100, 10000000 or infinite more universes simultaneously, it becomes almost irrelevant. It's like...a tiny fish somehow realizing what "the ocean" is....and then getting all overwhelmed by the idea there might be more oceans than just one, you know what I mean? Although the idea of different physical laws is of course....fascinating.
edit on 20-12-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I really want to hear your explanation for Inflation???

Perhaps you can provide us with a PDF file???

Any thoughts?
edit on 20-12-2012 by Kashai because: added and modified content

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by allbab

Originally posted by allbab
If Our Universe truly is the result of the colision of two other Universes or "bubbles", this means the energy created during the Big Bang was a transfer from the two others, creating incredible heat loss everytime such creation occurs. If all the Energy inside our own Bubble comes from these two other Bubbles, this clearly is a rise in Entropy in the MultiVerse or the main Universe where all the bubbles are created by collision of other bubbles. With time, this means the multiverse is subject to Entropy just like our own Universe is doomed to lose all of its energy able to do work via heat loss. If there is rise in Entropy in the Multiverse, this means that there is time in the multiverse and that there was a begining at wich Entropy started from. Now, I suppose we could say that the entire multiverse is only a Bubble of its own in an even bigger Bubble, but a begining must have occured at some point. We just pushed it back.

You are thinking too macroscopically. Remember, if other universes exist, that does not mean that they have to follow the laws of THIS universe. Also, the multi-verse is not a big whirlpool of chaos where all of these universes are being formed. They are all connected as ONE in the omni-verse (that "place" - where all the multi-verses are - if it can even be called a 'place').

From the quantum world, we can see that "nothing" does not exist, because the void is actually FILLED with potential energy which can then manifest into more solid forms of energy...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Excellent find

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join