It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe The World Ended Last Friday. America Certainly Did

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
America--one of the most violent countries in the world---showed its true colors last Friday.

How do we judge whose fault is the senseless murders of 20 children? Is it our lack of proper mental health care? Is it the instability of society that is absorbed by unstable individuals? Does merely being alive in these times make us crazy?

Is it gun laws? Video games? Divorce?

I submit that it is all of the things.

Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

It is the unraveling of the fabric of our society.

When 20 six-year-olds are no longer safe in their 1st grade classrooms, its time to take stock.

But we never do. Not after Columbine. Not after Virgina Tech.

Rather than sit down and collectively search for a way to repair our country of its immoral, substanceless, possesion driven existence---we sit and watch on the news as Obama flies into Newtown to save the day, or as crazed reporters run around the streets trying to interview children.

Band aids---all of it.

Until we can address the real problems----all of them---then we are doomed to repeat these scenarios over and over again.

America showed its true colors last Friday---that we are unable to protect the weakest of our citizens. That we are still the same old 24-hour coverage America that refuses to learn lessons from its past.

We will blame guns. The New World Order. Videos.

We will point to anything but the real truth.

No one wants to admit that we are morally bankrupt, incapable of seeing our problems in any concerted way.

So, we'll watch CNN, debate about whether there is a god or not, make new gun laws...and wait for the next tragedy.

I look at this country and I have hard time making sense of it anymore. Like a lot of people I am scared, dissilusioned, and exasperated.

When a morally bankrupt society cannot see its own failings...

what is left to do?

We watch it fall.

Because there is nothing left to do, but watch it fall.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Or maybe its the fault of the mentally insane individual that pulled the trigger.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I find it interesting that in your OP, you state that America is morally bankrupt. Then in your signature, you say not to be too moral?

I'm confused

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Red Alert! Red Alert!

Drama Queen has landed.

It's over. They're burying the dead. Get over it.

BTW, you couldn't pick one of a million other threads to post in?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
When 20 six-year-olds are no longer safe in their 1st grade classrooms, its time to take stock.

And the millions of other six year-olds who were safe in their classrooms elsewhere in the country?

By the same logic it's time to take stock on the epidemic of people being struck by lighting during thunderstorms, as the odds are pretty similar.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Your timeline is way off. It ended on 4/19/93.

The Feds killed 25 children (and 50 adults) at Waco that day.....

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

You have let the media think for you.

We Americans are just as human as the next man in the next country, don't get carried away with fearful thoughts. You know we do try to do right by our children as a whole. We love them just like you, and make tough decisions daily on their behalf, and sometimes they even dislike us for it! Good parenting 101.

Sure there are bad elements, but we are a HUGE country with mostly normal law-abiding citizens. This is starting to feel like 911. People are so overwhelmed byt the attrocity that they are going to let our govt steal everything that we stand for.

Please stop with the Drama, we're sad enough already.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
All and all our society is obsessed with violence.
The bar of violence constantly moves higher and higher up...

I remember my grandmother telling me when I was a kid, that she and her family back in the days were terrified when listening to the "horror" radio shows, and really, it was not that scary back then.
They were in awe and truly terrified just from hearing about someone sneaking up from around a corner while carrying a gun holstered on the hip.
Now people watch movies, made as realistic as real life experiences and they laugh when someone is being slaughtered in the most gruesome way possible with blood gushing everywhere, and kids sit around all day whilst playing computer games where they kill and cause havoc. Just to name a few things.

People have gotten used to extreme violence, ultra violence.... A clockwork Orange in todays standard is still a brilliant film, but seriously, if that is ultra violence, what the **** is it that the entertainment companies produce today...?
And it just gets worse and worse...

Everything in our society is getting more violent.
People do not respect each other in general and small children are being obnoxious towards the elders. No respect and no remorse.
People are just so used to violence. Seeing it everywhere. People get numb and constantly raise the level of what they can deal with.

I can only see this get worse.
Sad to say, but I do believe it to be the truth.
I do not really now if this has anything to do with this thread in particular, but I have been thinking about it for a while, and this felt like a moment just as good as any to write it.
edit on 16-12-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The USA did not end Friday.

Tomorrow is still Monday.

Children died this weekend because of starvation, no medical care and even stomach worms in several countries in our world.
I can testify about the abundance of stomach worms in children as I have given medication to many in Mexico, Jamaica and other countries on mission trips.

Our bombs kill people in other countries.
Countries other than the USA drop bombs on other countries and kill women and children.

It is my most humble opinion that two of the problems in the USA are improper mental health care and bad parenting.

But if you have given up on the USA OP then find yourself a safer country to move to.

These are tough times and we need tough people not those that give up as quickly as you seem to have done.

We need to bury our dead and continue to look for ways to make our country better.

edit on 16-12-2012 by dizziedame because: corrections

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I am not going in to the debate of gun law, but...
I think it would do more good to totally ban all entertainment containing violence. Movies, games etc etc.
Over a generation or two I think it would drastically lower the levels we have now.
Is it really that important to have that as a genre for entertainment??

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

I don't disagree on the violence in entertainment. I do think rating violent entertainment as a type of "x" rating of some sort, would be good, and tv should go back to the way it was 10+ years ago, before severing someone's head(Sons of Anarchy) can be shown on tv, period.

I don't like censorship, but it's there already in entertainment, and seems to have been invaded by people that can be easily bought.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well, folks, to each his own opinion.

2,000 children are murdered in the United States each year, and you don't find that problematic?

Oh, I'm just being dramatic?

Really?

What tree did you just fall out of?

I guess you can't imagine there's a problem here,

which makes YOU part of the problem.
Thank you for so perfectly making my point for me. We live in a world of people who prefer to live in denial.

You know what...

I dislike this site more and more everyday.
edit on 16-12-2012 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

I guess you can't imagine there's a problem here,

Of course people see there's a problem.

But a single incident implying that no one is safe anywhere is silly, as no one is ever safe anywhere. America hasn't ended because a crazy person used a gun.

Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

Our society didn't treat these children to this, one person did. One crazy, crazy, person did.
edit on 12/16/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

I don't disagree on the violence in entertainment. I do think rating violent entertainment as a type of "x" rating of some sort, would be good, and tv should go back to the way it was 10+ years ago, before severing someone's head(Sons of Anarchy) can be shown on tv, period.

I don't like censorship, but it's there already in entertainment, and seems to have been invaded by people that can be easily bought.

I would personally not have any problem with a complete ban of violence in entertainment. Simple as that.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Apparently, I'm not the only brain in America who sees what I am trying to say

America is crumbling from within and even the wanton killings of the innocent children of Sandy Hook Elementary School have failed to touch hearts hardened over long years of brutality.

www.presstv.ir...

The murder of twenty children, mostly five and six-year-olds, in an otherwise peaceful town in Connecticut is conveniently called a “tragedy.” It is much more than that.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I don't live in denial. I just don't fall to pieces every time something bad happens. I suppose I could be a pussy like everyone else but that's not what survivors do.

Survivors, people who aren't even involved, carry on.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You know what always helps? Insulting people who disagree with you.

Move along everyone, just more of the same wanton decisiveness from the real problem in this world, the emotional knee-jerk everybody with a dissenting opinion is wrong crowd.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

No one is falling apart.

Some of us are responding to a tragedy that deserves your compassion and your attention----

not your ridicule.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I can see the ghouls are out tonight.

Good night folks.

If you dont turn into a toad first, maybe pray for the sweet little ones who died last Friday.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

It didn't affect me. They're not my family. I don't know any of them. It's sad, yes, but I'm not going to beat the drum for people I don't know. It's morbid and counterproductive.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join