It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5th Planet: Phaeton

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Whether it's a modern scientist or cavemen from a time long forgotten, Man has peered to the sky in awe of what the universe provides. Not only are we struck by it's beauty, but also it's dark side of destruction and mystery. One particular mystery that intrigues me is the theory that there was once a 5th planet in our solar system.

There are a variety of theories and circumstances within out solar system that proponents use to suggest the existence of a former 5th planet, Phaeton and in this thread I will attempt to bring them to light. Please keep in mind that there is, of course, no evidence to completely support this theory. Keep an open mind while we speculate on what may have been.

Bode's Law

The Titius-Bode Law is rough rule that predicts the spacing of the planets in the Solar System. The relationship was first pointed out by Johann Titius in 1766 and was formulated as a mathematical expression by J.E. Bode in 1778. It lead Bode to predict that another planet between Mars and Jupiter existed in what we now recognize as the asteroid belt. This highly-criticized "law" is used to estimate where planetary objects can be predicted to exist according to a certain mathematical formula. The equation fit well with all of the planets minus Neptune and Pluto, and was even able to predict the orbit of the object Ceres.

Even though this theory is no longer accepted as a viable method of finding objects orbiting a star, I find it interesting that the theory was able to surmise that a 5th planet should reside where the asteroid belt is today.

Planet V

Planet V is a hypothetical fifth planet theory posited by NASA scientists John Chambers and Jack Lissauer to have once existed between Mars and the asteroid belt, based on computer simulations. Chambers and Lissauer presented this idea during the 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held from March 11 through 15, 2002.

This theory suggests that the 5th planet's orbit was "unstable" and that the gravitational forces of other planets were enough to pull the planet off it's orbit. This slight deviation was enough to cause the planet to collide with the asteroid belt. Needless to say, this caused havoc with many of the inner planets and is theorized to be the cause of the Late Heavy Bombardment.

The Late Heavy Bombardment (commonly referred to as the lunar cataclysm, or LHB) is a period of time approximately 4.1 to 3.8 billion years ago (Ga) during which a large number of impact craters were formed on the Moon, and by inference on Earth, Mercury, Venus, and Mars as well.

The Planet V theory goes on to state that after the planet bounced through the asteroid belt, it was pulled to it's demise by the Sun's gravitational forces....no more 5th planet. But it does not require a stretch of the imagination to recognize the possibility that the 5th planet could have broken-up in its interaction with other planets, sending object towards these planets causing the impact craters on Earth, the moon and possibly impacting Venus causing it's backwards rotation.

Venus is Backwards

Venus is the only planet in our solar system that spins clockwise. All other planets spin on their axis counter-clockwise. Many theories attempt to explain this but the most interesting is the theory that Venus was impacted by an object, possibly during the period of Late Heavy Bombardment (LHB).

Nibiru (Planet X)

As suggested by ancient astronaut researchers like Zecharia Sitchin, Nibiru may have been the culprit that set the entire chain of events into motion.

In theory, this "rogue" planet enters our solar system and either impacts planet Phaeton, or comes close enough to pull it off its orbit. While Nibiru continues on its merry way, Phaeton breaks up by hitting the asteroid belt or becomes the asteroid belt due to impact. Debris from the event causes the LHB and effects other planets, such as the rotation of Venus, the eccentric orbit of Mars and impact craters on the Earth and Moon.

I happen to find this theory quite interesting, no matter how far-fetched it may be. Please feel free to to add information or theories you may have and lets discuss.

Thanks for reading!

Phaeton
LHB
Titus-Bode
Planet V
edit on 12/16/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Great thread. I have always felt that is a high possibility. Seems to make very good sense.

Makes you wonder of other possible planets that were destroyed over our solar system's history.
edit on 12/16/2012 by mcx1942 because: edit

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Venus is Backwards

Venus is the only planet in our solar system that spins clockwise. All other planets spin on their axis counter-clockwise. Many theories attempt to explain this but the most interesting is the theory that Venus was impacted by an object, possibly during the period of Late Heavy Bombardment (LHB).

And at the speed to make it appear to have no spin, which is what scientists had reported right up until after Tesla, and after their work on scalar technology began in secret, and after they themselves realized that the moon and Venus had no spin, and no magnetic poles. Earth spins on free energy. Iron core magnet, magnetic poles, and the electric gridline and magnetic lines are like a coil, she's a free energy device. That was actually noted by observation of the solar system.

So, nah, don't believe them about their reverse spin.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Planet V = Tiamat.

This is from Sumerian creation story, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Nice presentation.

Surely you have more. Please share

Stars and flags coming right up

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Planet V = Tiamat.

This is from Sumerian creation story, isn't it?

Planet V is the theory of Nasa scientists as indicated in the OP.

Tiamat, while also being known as a Babylonian god, I believe is what the Sumerians called Earth. I think another part of that theory says that Tiamat (Earth) was the 5th planet and was pushed in during the passing of Nibiru.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can elaborate.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Good thought! It is interesting that there is a line of astoried in a belt and no others down the line! Even today we now have 10 planets say 11 if we take Pluto! No other belts out that way.
So what if a planet did blow up or something else came along and smashed it some. I do believe there was a planet there, could be a fence though. Far out there to even concider that idea!
As for a gas planet who turned into a star, could be possible! Last somehow we were there and blew it up and ended up on Earth. That one would be the worst possible idea but then again so is Adam and Eve.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

As suggested by ancient astronaut researchers like Zecharia Sitchin, Nibiru may have been the culprit that set the entire chain of events into motion.
Except that Sitchin claimed that Nibiru is still part of the Solar System and returns to the inner reaches on a 3,600 year orbit.

It is understood that the early Solar System was a chaotic place. It settled down a lot more than 4 billion years ago.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Can you show me a spinning planet that isn't located near a star? It's not "free energy". The energy is being emitted from the sun.

Do you consider solar power "free energy", and solar panels a free energy device

How do you think we can access this "free energy" from the rotation of the earth?

I posit that if nano-fibers are feasible, we can tether a cable from points just off the equator, out into space. You can use the controlled tension/friction in space to store energy, and beam it back to the earth.
edit on 16-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hello,

thanks for the interesting read

Top 5 reads on ATS for today, for sure. I don't have much to add sorry...

SS

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Agreed. I believe one theory suggests that this event could have taken place during the existence of Man.

Although, I have not delved into that area yet.

ETA: I believe there was a culture in the past that talked about the Earth having a moon, then two moons and then the second moon simply went along it's merry way.

I will have to dig into that.
edit on 16-12-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

You are correct. Tiamat(Earth) was moved from fifth to third planet after the collision. My mistake.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

There's only been a little bit of info I have read on that theory, but I find it a bit hard to believe that the Earth could have moved orbits without some sort of geological evidence supporting it.

But that is well beyond my expertise.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I would agree with that. It's a bit of a stretch.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Zecharia Sitchin has been fully discredited in regards to his claimed "translations" that serves as source material to many claims. There is a site that has the original text side by side with the translation of it you can probably get to it from here Anunnaki.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Phage

Agreed. I believe one theory suggests that this event could have taken place during the existence of Man.

Although, I have not delved into that area yet.

ETA: I believe there was a culture in the past that talked about the Earth having a moon, then two moons and then the second moon simply went along it's merry way.

I will have to dig into that.
edit on 16-12-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

A problem with having the LHB as late as when humans were around is the effect of that bombardment. Computer simulations done back in 2009 show that not all life would be wiped out, but about the only surviving organisms are microbes.

It would have been a very bad day for anything larger than a single cell.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I'm not prepared to completely dismiss Sitchin's translations yet, but I do believe he may have embellished for the sake of his books.

I believe Sitchin was a friend of Alexander Kazantsev, one of the original ancient astronaut theorists, and a proponent of the Phaeton theory. It may not be far-fetched to say that Sitchin incorporated a little of Kazantsev's "science fiction's" into his translations to add flavor to his books.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

That is your prerogative but for me the problems that people raise had me always thinking that something was fuzzy. I'm no linguist so I really take all the info that is unverified (especially if unilateral presented) with a grain of salt, since I saw the documentary putting down some of the abusive ideology presented on the series Ancient Aliens from someone reportedly claiming to be a linguist and pointing our logical reasons why Sitchin claims ought to be have at least a good solid relation to the source and it does not, the problematic translations do not clearly reference the specific location of the source and some of the possible interpretations are made outside of the temporal context that the source material was created. To me and until someone comes with a clear translation and better arguments it seems to close that area...

Note that I do not dismiss ancient aliens (or even contemporaneous "visiting"). I just think that Sitchin should not be given more air time beyond a science fiction aspect (the tale is interesting, has some logical quirks but continues to be interesting to contemplate).
edit on 16-12-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I completely understand that Sitchin's writings must be viewed through a skeptic's eye. The OP contains other information, such as the Planet V theory from NASA scientists, in order to illustrate that this theory does not originate from one unreliable source.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I agree with the idea that the asteroid belt is not the remaining of the formation of the sol system, not as simple byproducts as is often described, but the result of some higher order collision(s). I wouldn't dismiss the notion of a 5th planet.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join