It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your posts can either deny ignorance or breed it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have been reading ATS for over a year. I contribute some (mainly general chit chat and rant). WHY only those forums? Because I cannot understand 99% of the posts in the more technical forums. I want to understand. It is not that I am uneducated. I have a college degree in math. I am really pretty smart. I love the 2012 forum. I love fragile earth. I love the grey area. However most of the posts are so technical from the OP that I am lost at hello.

Can you please...please... please...start out in general terms or paraphrase for those of us that are not at your expertise level?

I come to ATS to deny ignorance but it seems I just feel more ignorant. You cannot expect me to slide over to your side of the fence if I do not understand what you are talking about. I have asked plenty of times for a generalization of the discussion so that I might understand. I usually get laughed at or told to go back to the beginners forums.

Fear is ignorance after all. Not understanding something breeds fear. So if you really want to deny ignorance...start with educating in your posts.

I am capable of learning. I just cannot do calculus without first understanding algebra.

Please take some responsibility in your posts. When you post a complicated diagram of the solar system and point out that a planetary alignment is occurring on a certain date with a scary title..seriously, all I see is a bunch of stars and just do not see what you are showing. SO TELL ME. Your title is scary but I dont see what you are saying. MAKE ME SEE IT.

Sure it will take some time to break it all down, but, I guarentee you that there are people like me who can contribute meaningfully to your thread if you just break it down so we can understand it. So for my example of the planetary alignment...SHOW me how the planets are aligning. Explain to me what it means. Explain to me why it is important. If you dont all I see is a bunch of dots on a black background that mean nothing to me. Make it mean something to me.

Honestly, I even got very lost once in a forum where math was being spewed left and right. WOOHOO I was excited. Math is my thing. I am kind of rain man when it comes to math. The OP spewed the answers but did not explain how he got them and no matter how I tried to get his answer I could not. When I asked how he got his answer I was called a troll and then everything I tried to contribute was ignored. I wasnt trolling...I need to see it. Maybe my numbers were wrong. If so, I want to know where I messed up so I could fix my error.

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well said my friend. S&F for you.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

No...you are not the only one that feels this way; I do too. Thank you for stating (in easy to understand thoughts) what I have been thinking myself for a while.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Sometimes we need to remember that everybody don't know everything. As OP said, the only way to find errors and learn is through understanding. We gotta man up guys. And I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, all contributions (right or wrong) are good contributions.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968
Sure it will take some time to break it all down, but, I guarentee you that there are people like me who can contribute meaningfully to your thread if you just break it down so we can understand it. So for my example of the planetary alignment...SHOW me how the planets are aligning.

In the vast majority of cases, the poster doesnt understand it themselves.
They've just copied it from some other website, or saw it on a youtube video.

In reality, if they DID understand it, they'd reject it as the nonsense it is... so its a kind of selection going on.
Axiom: The only people who post rubbish, are the people who dont understand it.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I can relate to some of what you are feeling....this particular website can be overwhelming at times.

Actually, I can relate all too well....

I spent several years lurking before I could even imagine joining.

Those years that I spents lurking though....they turned out to be quite helpful.

I say that because I can tell you this - Most members on this site will not likely stop and take the time to catch you up on the basics of an ongoing topic or conspiracy.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a freshman forum....perhaps that would make a good start.

Best of luck to you

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
When I pick a topic or headline; it is usually either because I have an interest; or varying levels of knowledge of the topic. If I have an interest; reading the posts expand my knowledge, of the topic...if I am very interested in the topic, then I research the topic. Then after my own research and based on understanding and conclusions; from that I contribute...unless it is a post that I have already done the previous with; the contribution I add to the discussion, varies from several years of interest in the subject; to several months.

I can see how wanting to be engaged in a topic; but lacking the understanding of things discussed, can be disparaging. Experience of the topic helps; and interest in the topic, will encourage a desire to learn more. I suppose if we think of topic the topic like classes; Physics 101 or Physics 512, anyone can sit in on any class, but prerequisites may be required, to get the most out of what is being discussed. The professor and students have those prerequisites; it would be nice, if the professor and other students stopped to bring the person sitting in up to speed; but that may derail the current level of discussion back to the basics.

The language used in posts are natural to the posters, when trying to convey an idea. Some posters do convey with simplicity complex concepts and theories, and some do not. When a posts level holds several people that have studied and researched the topic for many years; to each other the post conversation is in a simplistic context already. So when I run across something I have an interest in and what is being discussed about it; leaves me in the cold, that's something new to study and research, if my interest is genuine or if it just out of boredom, look for another topic I can contribute too.

So my advice; study and research, a lot of posts are debating the topic...when that happens a lot of prior knowledge is required to know whats going on in the volley...either you can sit back with popcorn and wait for a victor...or if you are versed on the topic, aid to a claim or refute on another. It's a weird dynamic, some feelings get hurt at times; because at times people cannot release what is a certainty to them, even when refutable evidence to the contrary exists.

Perhaps this helps...? I would not be so rude to say be gone off to 101 with you. I would stop and take the time. So peoples patience will vary and if they feel like doing that or not...sorry but educating yourself on the topic; before entering into debate and speculation, is my best advice.

top topics

join