It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Moon a Mothership ?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by Anunaki10

From your link about the moons rotation at digipro.whatever.

You might be struggling against the nuances in the meanings of the words "rotate" and "revolve." The Moon ROTATES about its axis at exactly the same rate as it REVOLVES around the Earth. That's an important point about tidal locking.

Which means that the same side of the Moon always faces the Earth, which again means that the Moon does NOT rotate on it's own axis in relation to the Earth...

edit on 29-12-2012 by Anunaki10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anunaki10
Which means that the same side of the Moon always faces the Earth, which again means that the Moon does NOT rotate on it's own axis in relation to the Earth...

Sorry, but it does mean that the Moon does rotate on its own axis in relation to the Earth. My astronomy teacher used to illustrate it by having one of us shuffle around a pole whilst always facing it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Did you even read that whole article you linked?

I ask because the article states numerous times that the moon does infact rotate and it does it just as others have been telling you...

In fact here is one of the questions asked in their FAQ..

I have just read the article titled "Why Doesn't the Moon Rotate?" and am trying to end a long-standing family discussion about the Moon and rotation. Having said that, and having read the article is this statement true? The Moon doesn't rotate about its own axis, rather it rotates about the Earth's axis. True or False

Well, True and False. You might be struggling against the nuances in the meanings of the words "rotate" and "revolve." The Moon ROTATES about its axis at exactly the same rate as it REVOLVES around the Earth. That's an important point about tidal locking.

If you really want to squirrel-up the concept, neither the Earth nor its Moon rotate exactly about their own geometric centers. Nor do they rotate exactly about their own centers of gravity. The axis of rotation for each body is actually skewed toward the neighbor, the Moon's axis being closer to the Earth, and the Earth's being closer to the Moon. In absolute distance, the Earth's axis is closer to the center of the Earth than the Moon's axis is to the center of the Moon. This is only because the mass of the Earth is so much greater than the Moon's. To underscore, imagine a system where the planet and the moon were of the same mass. The axis of rotation would be half way between the two centers. Which would be the planet, which the moon? Who then revolves around whom?

www.digipro.com...

You may want to read a bit more of that article you linked to as they feel different from you as they say it does rotate and it does revolve around the Earth..
edit on 29-12-2012 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

So now what does this have to do with the moon being a mothership?

Just wondering????

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Sorry, but it does mean that the Moon does rotate on its own axis in relation to the Earth. My astronomy teacher used to illustrate it by having one of us shuffle around a pole whilst always facing it.

Unfortunately for you, either your teacher is extremely stupid and wrong, or you completely misunderstand what your teacher is telling you!
The Moon does NOT rotate on it's own axis in relation to the Earth, and i'm not saying that just because facts shows so (as shown below) but because i know that, and have always know that www.digipro.com...

In comparison, the tidal effect on the Moon is static because the Moon no longer rotates in relation to the Earth

As you can see for yourself, the facts shows that the Moon does NOT rotate in relation to the Earth...

Ah, let me guess, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

So now what does this have to do with the moon being a mothership?

Just wondering????

IMO it stems from these assertions from the OP, Ben81

dont wonder why it never rotate on itself like a normal planet
always showing the same side .. an elongated mega ship cant really rotate on itself
www.abovetopsecret.com...

im saying the moon can be an elongated mega ship since it doesnt rorate on itself
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparently this must be defended at all costs.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The Moon ROTATES about its axis at exactly the same rate as it REVOLVES around the Earth.

It (your link) also say this the line before the words "tidally locked" that you seemed to have solely focused on.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

So now what does this have to do with the moon being a mothership? Just wondering????

I think you need to ask 'DenyObfuscation' about that, since it was 'DenyObfuscation' who brought it up on Page 4 this thread were 'DenyObfuscation' said >>It's not quite like that. Earth rotates once per day. The Moon rotates once per revolution around Earth, approximately 27ish days.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You ONLY mentioned this thread, you NEVER mentioned if the debate about the Moon's rotation have been mentioned in any other thread than THIS thread...

Yeah, so?

Like I said I mentioned references to it in THIS thread because it is THIS thread I'm posting in.

Why is that not clear?

Again I ask: Are you clinging to this false idea that the moon does not rotate, because a mothership apparently wouldn't rotate??

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I think you need to ask 'DenyObfuscation' about that, since it was 'DenyObfuscation' who brought it up on Page 4 this thread

What, this post on page 4 or another of his also on page 4 that asserts the same in different wording??

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by Ben81

i know the moon rotate but NOT ON ITSELF

You're referring to its revolving around Earth which it does. It also ROTATES on its axis which it does ONCE PER REVOLUTION.

If the Moon did not rotate we would see all sides of it.

edit on 12/29/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Correct me if I misinterpreted my understanding of the moon all these years but, if the moon were NOT rotating would we not see a new face of the moon all the time? Doesn't this this simplicity show right there it has to rotate at least as much as it does in order to show us only a side of it? I hope my history teacher was right in the old adage "KISS- Keep it simple stupid" (that was said at no offence to anyone but it has remained a true motto for myself when thinking about certain things).

EDIT: It seems there has already been a post with the same idea, I must of missed it with all the extra information piled on top of what seemed like a simple enough topic.
edit on 29-12-2012 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

PS: I would assume this idea can be easily demonstrated with an apple and a grape with one side marked.
edit on 29-12-2012 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
the words "tidally locked" that you seemed to have solely focused on.

Once again, which means that the same side of the Moon always faces the Earth, which again means that the Moon does NOT rotate on it's own axis in relation to the Earth...

www.pbs.org...

Although from Earth's view the moon doesn't rotate

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

From your above PBS link (in fact just a line or two after the one you focused on out of context):

Take a look at the animation above. Look only at the moon. (The red dot marks a fixed point on the moon's surface.) See how it does rotate on an axis?

...And yet Again I ask: Are you clinging to this false idea that the moon does not rotate, because a mothership apparently wouldn't rotate??

btw: An inaccurate youtube video doesn't suddenly become correct when it has dramatic music added to it.
edit on 12/29/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Unfortunately for you, either your teacher is extremely stupid and wrong, or you completely misunderstand what your teacher is telling you!
The Moon does NOT rotate on it's own axis in relation to the Earth, and i'm not saying that just because facts shows so (as shown below) but because i know that, and have always know that www.digipro.com...

In comparison, the tidal effect on the Moon is static because the Moon no longer rotates in relation to the Earth

As you can see for yourself, the facts shows that the Moon does NOT rotate in relation to the Earth...

Ah, let me guess, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT!

Actually my teacher was an excellent astronomer and knew a great deal. This is a very simple concept and I am puzzled as to why you don't get this. Perhaps it's the fact that the moon does not seem to rotate in relation to the Earth. That's the key point. The moon does still rotate, it's just that its rotation speed has become locked in to the Earth. It's that simple.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
* Closed - pending review *

top topics

<< 29  30  31   >>

join