It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife's have multiple uses, guns don't

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Answer

Many things that you use every single day were designed to kill human beings or make it easier for others to do so.

Like what?

What do I use every day that was originally designed to only kill another human being like the AK-47 was

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by Answer

Many things that you use every single day were designed to kill human beings or make it easier for others to do so.

Like what?

What do I use every day that was originally designed to only kill another human being like the AK-47 was

Right now you're posting on the internet which was developed by the Department of Defense.

I'm sure at some point in your life, you've flown on a passenger jet... making good use of technology invented for war.

Ever used GPS? Military technology.

How do you think the satellites that you utilize every day got into space? Rockets designed as weapons delivery systems.

I'm sure you get my point, even though it's a silly one to make. Just because an item was developed for use in war does not mean it can ONLY be used for that purpose. The vast majority of AK47's in the world have never even been pointed at a human being so, logically, you must admit that they have more uses than killing people.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Answer

No I am talking about something that is designed for no other reason to directly kill another living being.

Examples would include Guns

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You are good at discussion. Call us evil more, it is helping your cause.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Answer

No I am talking about something that is designed for no other reason to directly kill another living being.

If you're going to continue to be so selective about my replies, you'll just continue to highlight how poorly you've crafted your argument.

The AK47 was designed for war, yes. If that's your only criteria for wanting to ban it, you better include a lot of other items in that list.

Attempting to narrow the argument down to "they're designed to kill people!" is pointless. If I seek out a firearm for self-defense, of course I want the one that is effective at killing a person as that is often what is required in a self-defense scenario.

The part that you and so many others fail to understand is that 1 or 2 highly publicized shootings a year does not indicate a trend. Firearm related crime has been on a steady decline for the last 20 years, even in light of looser restrictions on firearm ownership. We have, however, seen an increase in mental illness and testing of various medication on those individuals. Again, it's so much easier to go after guns than to say "mentally ill people need to be looked at more closely." That would be insensitive to them, right? Well, your desire to attack responsible gun owners is insensitive to us, as well. Unfortunately, you'll never see it that way.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is an interesting topic which I'd like to throw my 2 cents into. . .

A gun certainly can be used for killing and or harming another human. In fact that is what it was created to do. It can take a life just as it can save a life.

I was raised to believe my body and mind are the best weapons available to any human and although that has not changed, I now believe a gun is an equalizer, for me at least.

In my youth, I had size, strength and vitality which would allow me to use my mind and body to prevent harm to myself from another, but now as my body feels the years of physical abuse and damage done to it, it will not perform as it once did. Hence the firearm, the great equalizer. A firearm can be a deterrent to violence and has been one on more than one occasion for me.

It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. A basic principle of life. Is it not better to have the ability to protect yourself and never need to use that skill or trade than to have the need to protect yourself and not have the skill or trade?

I am now, and have been for some years, an owner and proponent for the firearm, yet believe it should be the tool of last resort; as it certainly has the capability of taking a life, and the mind can and should be used before any form of physical force.

A gun can, if used correctly, hit the intended target where the operator wishes. Yet when the gun has no more ammunition, what use does it have then?

An all steel weapon can be used to bludgeon a person, thus preventing harm to one self said perpetrator. I know I would use my firearm to bash someone across the face if I felt my life were in danger and had no other way to defend myself. Would anyone else?

No onto an absurd note:

A gun can be used like a hammer, if it is empty and made of steel, not composite.
A gun can be thrown at a target such as a rabbit or small game if the throwing arm is accurate enough. (it may even return to you like a boomerang)
A gun makes an excellent paper weight. (not once have I had to run around collecting paper when my gun was resting atop it)
A gun may be used to prop up a coffee table when a leg breaks and you have no wood or books in the house.
A gun can be disassembled and its' spring used to fix a ball point pen.

Be creative and I am sure those who feel guns should be banned etc can find a good use for them.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Answer

I appreciate your point as much as the original OP point, but like her..I'd point out the premise is faulty. Guns are no more single purpose today than the bow and arrow is. Both were originally made with only one purpose and that is to kill other living things. That was the original intent. The same can be said for Fireworks as well. This is also a product with an original intent of only one thing. To kill human beings as efficiently as possible.

However, fireworks entertain today. The bow and arrow is far more a thing of sport and skill development than actual hunting (In most cases) and rarely ever used in war anymore. Likewise the gun has many more uses than simply killing animals and people. While it's very good at those two things, it also serves as the base for sports that have risen to Olympic level in their own right. They are good for Action Shooting which is a growing national sport as well as traditional skill based competition.

To touch on killing but without malice or ill intent, guns are effective at predator control, rodent control and defense from wildlife when misadventure brings man and beast into unintended contact. With a gun, it's not even necessarily...many times..to kill. The noise will scare most animals away, even among predators.

So..guns are used for far more than simply the taking of life either man or animal. I wish folks would realize the fixation on killing things with guns doesn't mean it's their sole purpose.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't smoke nor do I recommend it but I thought this was funny.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Undeadlady

Some people hunt to eat,and eat everything they kill.Would you take away they're ability to feed they're familys due to some people wanting to kill others? If you ban all guns would no one be murdered then?

Sorry,people have been murdered since time began,took quite a while before guns entered the scene.If someone wants to slaughter people,they will find a way.

edit on 16-12-2012 by Dimithae because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A knife has only one purpose.
Too cut.

Please keep in mind that a stab is a motion used to cut.

This alone makes your OP pointless and nothing more than a rant.

Thank you.

ETA: Tell a person who just spent $6,000-$15,000 on a race gun, that it is for killing and not a competition.

edit on 12/16/2012 by GunzCoty because: I really should proof read this stufff

edit on 12/16/2012 by GunzCoty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Im just gonna end this and say what we are all thinking.

I like turtles.

/endthread.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Guns kill, however the species killed is determined by the holder of the weapon, Many things kill, I mean dude if you eat enough wheaties you'll get all m^$*%#d up. Media has created a nation of pretenders, and most of us belong without knowing. It will get interesting as we get closer to 2013, those ready will just sit back and watch....

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Guns are also for SAVING lives.

Do the police carry guns only to kill or are their guns for protecting too?

A knife can't save a life like a gun can.

Guns, the real peacekeepers.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Undeadlady
The reason for me making this thread is because i have seen lots of comments on various threads saying things along the lines of " why don't they ban knife's as well then" This is not a valid point, knife's have multiple uses, cutting meat, eating with, skinning things, carving things.
Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me. So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .

I understand what you are trying to convey and of course it is silly to ban guns. Guns do kill, there is no getting around that, but they are not all used to kill people or commit these awful crimes. Guns are a tool no different than a knife is a tool. These tools have different purposes of course, but in the end they are only tools. Guns are also used to hunting, should we not allow anyone to hunt? Guns are used for protection, should we not allow people to be able to protect themselves? If you take people's ability to protect themselves away and give all power to military/police/govt/ect.. and what have you then you have the very high possibility of tyranny and oppression of people.

Just because a gun kills doesn't make it a tool that doesn't still have a much needed use. Cars also kill, but they have other uses. How many kids and people in general die every day in car accidents? Obviously we can't ban cars, but the simple act of driving a car is very dangerous. I believe it is something like 70 people die every day in the US due to automobile related accidents, but you won't see people turning against cars and wanting to ban them.

I am very torn on this subject because it is so easy to just want to get rid of guns, but logically I know that getting rid of guns is not going to stop violence. We are treating a symptom, what we need to do is fix the human factor. Violence is the problem, not the tools the violent people use to commit their crimes against humanity.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Knives cut things
Guns shoot things
/thread

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you, but there are still people in this world that have to hunt in order to survive. Not all of us live in a big city, and not all of us have a welfare office we can just go to if we're poor.

I agree with you that the primary use for a gun is to kill, but that in no way, shape, or form justifies banning them.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This topic drives me mental.
IT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.
all of these pro ban morons should sit back for a second and realise that it is also illegal to kill in the first place. The fact that it was illegal did not stop the killing. Therefore legal status does not define how someone will behave or what they will behave with.
A GUN HAS NEVER KILLED A PERSON WITHOUT SOMEONE PULLING THE TRIGGER.
How do they profess to solve violent crime that happens without the use of a weapon, I know lets ban hands, fingers, feet, brick, walls, heights and pretty much everything else in the entire world.

To the person that said a gun was a thing of evil i was wondering if you could please tell me how you would feel if when said person went into the school and was about to shoot it up, Someone came along and quickly shot him first in order to defend everyone. Would he still be an evil person using an evil tool or do you admit that your so called "evil tool" (used only for evil purposes remember) Can potentially be used for good.

Threads like this and people with opinions as blatantly naive and ignorant as this really make me wonder whether or not people on here are actually paid shills, Because i find it hard to believe anyone that frequents this site is so completely incapable of taking in new information or responding to valid points.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

I hate to break it to you, but there are still people in this world that have to hunt in order to survive. Not all of us live in a big city, and not all of us have a welfare office we can just go to if we're poor.

I agree with you that the primary use for a gun is to kill, but that in no way, shape, or form justifies banning them.

Often times those who hunt don't even do it because they have to do it in order to survive. I know a lot of people who hunt because it is better quality meat. It isn't the crap you get in the stores in those little Styrofoam packages. The animal you eat isn't fed god only knows what or given god only knows what drugs and or hormones. A lot of people do not like to rely on corporations to provide them with food, food that often times is questionable anyway! Pink slime anyone?? Self reliance is a good thing and many people hunt for their food simply because they can and feel they should have the right to do so.

Sorry, I'm not actually disagreeing with you.. just adding to your thought.
I read your reply and it made me realize how hunting is seen as such an alternative choice compared to the average person just relying on some big farm/corporation/slaughterhouse/ect.. to give them their food. I support hunting and the need or want to do so. I couldn't kill an animal myself so I decided to go vegetarian because it felt hypocritical to me.. well almost vegetarian, I can fish and kill a fish, therefor I eat fish. LOL I want to know that if I had to or even wanted to, that I could hunt and kill my own food and not have to be dependent on a grocery store for meat.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
IT IS ILLEGAL TO KILL - DOES THIS STOP PEOPLE KILLING?
IT IS ILLEGAL TO OWN A GUN - DOES THIS STOP PEOPLE OWNING GUNS?
IT IS ILLEGAL TO STAB SOMEONE WITH A KNIFE - DOES THIS STOP PEOPLE FROM BEING STABBED?
ITS ILLEGAL TO USE BIOCHEMICAL WEAPONS - DOES THIS STOP THEM FROM USE?

No law in the land will ever stop anyone from doing anything if they want to bad enough.

Lets play devils advocate and assume that all guns have miraculously been erased from existence, Not one single person can deny the fact that human beings would find some other way to murder multiple people with ease.

"oh damn. I really wanted to murder lots of innocent children today, If only i had some device to quickly create havoc and murder mass groups of people. Owell i guess ill have to just be a decent honorable human being now instead"

Take away a gun fine, But tell me how you intend to take away fire? Or perhaps how you stop people from using naturally occurring elements to build a bomb, Far deadlier than any gun.

Human beings will have the capacity to kill regardless, for so many people who actively seek knowledge, How can you all be so blind to see the problem doesnt lie with the tool. It lies in the hands of the person holding it.
The problem in american is not guns it is education. Not just school and grades either its about educating children on how to be people and treat others like people also

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Swizzy

Knifes can kill just as quickly if handled properly.

Not really. In a single instance, maybe: comparing one shot against one shot/throw maybe. But pulling the knife out of one body in order to stab someone else, and again and again? No comparison to the hit rate of a gun.

Subsequently you gave support to the necessity of guns for self-defense.

If I had to defend myself and family against a home invasion, and that person had a gun, I would be unmatched if I was only armed with a knife or a baseball bat. Sure I might get lucky...but as you said, the gun trumps the knife.

It's a sufficient killing weapon. I wish the world was rid of them. However, it's not pragmatic to think they will be gotten rid of any time soon and people should be able to provide adequate protection for their homes (and schools, etc).
edit on 16-12-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join