It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the news media motivating potential copycat killers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Reading some of the theories here about mind control, and remote controlling killers and assassins, maybe there is a very real aspect to this going on right now...

When is news coverage of a tragedy considered too much coverage?

Are they glorifying these acts of mass-murder in the minds of compromised people?

Of all of the recent mass-shootings there has been endless coverage by the major news networks, and the attention and focus on particular aspects seems to be way too much. Almost seems obsessive, there are people who are literally watching hours and hours of coverage. I don't believe any of this is a problem for the vast majority of people who are consumers of the mass-media, it is also to a degree understandable, when people are seeking answers and explanations for unimaginable events like these.

What I am worried about are those few out there who are extremely depressed, potentially violent, loners, suicidal, and mentally ill... They too are exposed to the nonstop coverage, watching and maybe obsessing over these events, every detail, for hours and hours, and even days, or longer.

Seriously, could the coverage of these events not only glorify the killers in some way, but also inspire and motivate other potential killers who may have not otherwise been motivated or inspired?

Why not just cover the breaking news, then move on, with occasional brief updates? Does it really have to be so all consuming and obsessive?

I know there are those who will say that if people are going to kill they would do it regardless of the news coverage of these events. But I believe they are wrong at least in some cases. It is a cycle that seems to be growing and becoming repetitious.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Monkey see; Monkey do.

^^ That is the formula to humanity.

Now you know why everyone has an iGadget; wears the same clothes; talks the same way; etc...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Monkey see; Monkey do.

^^ That is the formula to humanity.

If we were as simple as monkeys then the solutions would be easy. Humans are more complex and diverse.

The problem here I believe is defining the line between necessary news coverage and too much coverage exploitation, potential glorification and/or the influence that could have on already compromised individuals.

If the past is any indication for the future, you can expect more mass shootings soon, with many similarities as well.

Will all of this coverage have had any influence on that, or not?
edit on 16-12-2012 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
No it's because the media knows what they do for a living is meaningless.

Being heartless cowards, they take a situation like this and turn it into media coverage - for their benefit.
Not the families, not anybody. It's a selfish act.

What is the purpose of covering this story any further than it needs to?
To push somebody else's agenda.
As to what that agenda may be I don't know, but I have my theories...

Yes we know!! There ARE crazy people out there! Enough is enough.
Let us now put our collective efforts into avoiding this tragedy from happening again.
Let us not dwell on this story any further. There's nothing to gain from airing this story any more.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The media has made many references to copycats after this week's tragedy. Seems scripted, and (I hope I am wrong) an advanced warning to the next one, in the very near future. Again I hope I am wrong, but if this kind of horrific tragedy (not unlike 911) is what it takes to change a whole nation's mindset, add one or two more in succession and anti-gun law will be an absolute slam-dunk.

Do you think we would have accepted the Patriot act and invading the M.E. without 911?

Just speculation and again, hope I am way off.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

It actually is not any more complicated.

You learn from a human. You try to fit in with other humans.

People do what they see other people doing.

You fixated on 'monkey' rather than the message encoded in the saying.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan001

What is the purpose of covering this story any further than it needs to?
To push somebody else's agenda.

If their agendas are to use the tragedies for ratings and financial gain alone (exploitation) then that alone would be a logical explanation. Greed driven coverage? ... Not unheard of, and to a degree entirely predictable.

Also could be an agenda to expand the debate on gun control, and help to push forward more regulations without actually addressing the real problems.

Regardless of the agendas, there could be (I believe there are) unintended consequences here, and that is that they are helping to motivate already compromised people to commit similar acts.

The similarities in all of the mass-shootings in recent times are striking to me, and seem to be repetitious, and I can't help but wonder if somehow these acts were glorified in some way, and motivated some of this through all of that obsessive coverage.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan001
Yes we know!! There ARE crazy people out there! Enough is enough.
Let us now put our collective efforts into avoiding this tragedy from happening again.
Let us not dwell on this story any further. There's nothing to gain from airing this story any more.

Amen, but you know that isn't going to happen as long as their viewership and ratings are high.

You also know this is going to happen again, and again there will be similarities, the coverage will be no less exploitative, consuming and intense... and then?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There needs to be a clear definition made of appropriate and necessary coverage of these events.

Considerations need to be made by qualified professionals. More than video games or any other form of fictional acts of violence, this kind of nonstop coverage can be dangerous, and will lead to more of the same at some point in time. It will be the unspoken truth many will avoid.

The news media needs to accept the responsibility that comes with this, and the impact that their coverage can have on susceptible people. There will be more.

Okay, I'm done with this thread.

Good luck

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ausername

well idk about all the heavy undertones of mind control and such but if your mature enough to realistically rationalize such topics feel free to use them in my opinion as long as you dont go overboard into fiction.

now i would like to state on the media glamorizing such behavior which is the problem when discussing societal decay. It seems to me no one wants to address the white elephant in the room and i have no problem doing it....

i am a 20 year old gamer i like games like GTA military Sims and other games as well. i usually mostly enjoy space sims and strategic management games but anyways back to my media bash.... im all for censored content more so now that people are becoming more idiotic in there rationalizations on these topics which is a direct reason why our rights are being taken away... futhermore i would like to state that any content rated 17 and mature should be limited to older individuals...sorry for going offtrack but i feel it is directly related here. And to answer your question too much coverage gose into the glamorizing category sorry for those of you who cant see this you should probably go spend more time on the playground and observe how we behave.... /endrant

edit on 19-2-2013 by GRS1234 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join