It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clackamas Mall Shooter Was Confonted By Concealed Carrier

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

It is very possible his story is true, and the shooter shot himself after seeing he was not the only one armed.

It is factual that a CPL holder made the decision not to fire because of what was in his sight picture.

So many keep saying that more guns would just be more people getting killed in crossfire.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Conceal Carry = possibly evening the odds against you vs. the threat. POSSIBLY. I personally own a fine 9mm but I'm not going toe-to-toe with a guy with an AR. I'm ducking for cover, maybe seeing if I can get a shot but mostly ducking for cover.

Some jagoff trying to rob you down an alley? Yeah, now we're a little closer to what a CC can fight back against.

Originally posted by exponent

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by exponent

I'm not debating your choice about how you live, nor am I debating with those who choose differently. I'm pointing out an error in thought process, or if you'd rather, a limitation in your understanding.

In this case, the guy did the right thing. He wasn't sure he could eliminate the threat without making matters worse. He got out.

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way. The 'concealed carry = threat eliminated' is a common gun advocate talking point. I appreciate that it doesn't really bear out in reality so I am not gonna disagree.

Thanks for the good post.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I thought Concealed Carry is supposed to stop these incidents?

Actually, no - conceal carry is supposed to be for one's personal protection.
Don't try to be a hero if you aren't sure you can pull it off...
edit on 16-12-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

Actually, you are wrong. Concealed carry IS for personal protection, but it is also to protect those around you in need of protecting.

What if I'm at a store with friends and I am carrying, and someone comes in and threatens one of my friends with great bodily harm with a deadly weapon? Not my problem, right?

Maybe you think that little of YOUR friends.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
The argument that teachers and others like them should be encouraged to carry is silly.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by exponent

Actually, no - conceal carry is supposed to be for one's personal protection.
Don't try to be a hero if you aren't sure you can pull it off...

So you need to carry a concealed gun because everyone else might have concealed guns? Sounds like Mutually Assured Destruction.

It's not a society I'd like to live in, thinking I must be armed everywhere for safety. When I go out I carry my keys, my wallet, my phone. I have no need of knives or bats or guns, I haven't been assaulted in a decade and the chances of me being confronted with any weapon other than fists is pretty minimal.

Why would you choose a society where everyone is armed like that? It seems a dystopian future I wouldn't want any part of.

You might not like this society but, it is what it is. A concealed firearm is not to be pulled unless it is 100% necessary, in this case the permit holder saw an opportunity to present himself, he made the shooter aware of his presence and probably saved many lives because of it. If the shooter was not confronted during the jam he most likely would have cleared the jam and continued with his original intention.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Yeah, we should arm all the children to. ALL form of gun control is EVIL straight out the NAZI regime. AGE LIMITS are a government overreach.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by MrWendal

Yeah, we should arm all the children to. ALL form of gun control is EVIL straight out the NAZI regime. AGE LIMITS are a government overreach.

Yeah, arm children who have no clue how to shoot.

Your statement is just idiotic at best. How did you even make such a leap based on what I posted?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join