It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox Hacker (Troll) Pranks Police to get "Even" with another Player

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I subscribe to Popular Mechanics and in the latest issue they had a story about a 16 year old kid talking smack on his xbox....few hours later the police get a 911 from the device deaf people use to make calls that states my father is killing my 4 year old sister and I am scared.

So of course the police sends out a force of 15 officers to the scene and surprise a family having dinner!

Article I found on it

"I answer the door, I'm holding a dog, and there's a state trooper standing there with a gun to my face," Yagerhofer said. The State Police were responding to instant messages sent to the local 911 system over the internet.

The message read, in part, "Please help. My dad just killed my 4 year old sister. He slit her throat. She's bleeding to death"
The message was complete with the Yagerhofer's home address.

The response was a team of squad cars on Lisa's lawn.

"There were about 15 of them. Lights. Sirens. Everything. The sheriff was here. The detective. They just swarmed our house," Yagerhofer said.

But the whole thing was a hoax.

Yagerhofer's personal information was compromised after Lisa's 16-year-old son Tyler played an on-line Xbox game with stranger.

That stranger turned out to be a hacker who cracked into Tyler's Xbox LIVE account and from there was capable of finding personal information like their home address, social security numbers, and credit card information just to name a few.

Northampton County DA John Morganelli says it is mostly young people committing these crimes, who simply do not understand the gravity of what they are doing.

"When you are going across state lines and using phones to call in criminal matters, you're implicating federal statutes. So it wouldn't surprise me that someone who does that would be subject to federal prosecution, as well as, state prosecutions," Morganelli said.

Meantime, Tyler has this warning for on-line gamers.

"If you are younger than me, I would suggest family settings on Xbox LIVE, but other than that, there's honestly nothing you can do," Tyler said.

The hacker swatted the Yagerhofers three times over the past year and wreaked havoc on their personal accounts.

So per the article I read in popular science they went into a little more detail and stated the kid got into a fight with the person that wreaked havoc. More importantly the article stated this kinda thing is starting to happen a lot and wasting tax payer dollars on sending hoards of police on "Prank" calls that are hard to trace.

Since this is in the January issue of Popular Mechanics, I couldn't find there article but I have the digital issue so I am including some screen shots below with links as well as a link to popular mechanics:

Page 1

Image Link

Page 2

Image Link

Page 3

Image Link

Page 4

Image Link

Popular Mechanics

Now I own an Xbox, and I have got into arguments with people online and on my xbox...so I guess this make me think twice. Not only are these "Mega Trolls" messing with people lives but wasting tax payers dollars, and possibly setting up a situation where the police can hurt someone innocent.

Now with that being said...I wonder what this kid said or did to cause this type of repercussions....
edit on 12/16/2012 by Djayed because: I am more of a math guy...

edit on 12/16/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
"hacked" into his account, or was given the information by a stupid child?
Most likely the latter. Kids shouldnt be allowed to have microphones, for starters.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Reason #3,975,429 to not play online games.

That kid would never see another B button for the rest of his life if I were his parents.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

That kid would never see another B button for the rest of his life if I were his parents.

He should be brought up on charges honestly........thats a horrible horrible thing..........

And with police being so gungho these days........someone could have been shot and killed.........

This kid should be doing time.........and paying restitution to the police department.........and then sued by the family.........period..........

Kids have NO respect these days and no concept of boundaries and decency..........

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Agree with you 100%, but if you were his 'parents' you'd be a hermaphrodite.

Wish I could've roused even one cop during the times two times I've been attacked with knives.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by smashdem
"hacked" into his account, or was given the information by a stupid child?
Most likely the latter. Kids shouldnt be allowed to have microphones, for starters.

The hacker actually hacked into the kids Xbox then used AT&T relay to make the fake call....So the called originated at the residence!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

He should be brought up on charges honestly........thats a horrible horrible thing..........

And with police being so gungho these days........someone could have been shot and killed.........

This kid should be doing time.........and paying restitution to the police department.........and then sued by the family.........period..........

Kids have NO respect these days and no concept of boundaries and decency..........

This is really what I thought about...what if by coincidence the father was cleaning his gun...it could have been messy...

new topics

top topics

join