It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game changer : Russian Iskander (SS-26) Mobile Ballistic Missile Delivered to Syria

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

I agree.. No side is innocent but the way things have panned out, it seems it has only made things worse while giving know terrorists a get out of jail free card or even criminals to become terrorists.
edit on 16-12-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

The bit I find interesting is how it is said that Russia is in fact risking lives, by giving Syria these weapons and if extremists were to get a hold of these weapons.........

yet the Syrian opposition forces are receiving arms from the west and other Arab states and they are saying Russia is basically acting in an dangerous manor.......

What will be the next act on this chess board

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ANDERSON23

I agree this is a stupid move by Russia..
They should be delivering medical supplies not more weapons of death,makes them no better than the countries supporting the fsa
edit on 16-12-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This was news a week ago. There is already a thread here about this. It is simply BS. Russia is not going to hand over its best weapons to Assad.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

both sides are being stupid, however pretty much every move within this conflict that we have seen from the west and other nations supporting the opposition had actually been fairly mute just condemnations here and there and now its changed rapidly and aggressively especially since Obama's re-election, Russia may in fact see that there will be no let up and they can't and wont stand for it as it harms their interests within the global community......

now that the batteries of Iskander are either in place or will be soon in Syria how far will Russia go to stop the hardware from getting in to the hands of the west that is the key question here.....

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Its not a matter of if but when,NATO and friends have alot more resources than Syria..
and they seem steadfast and determined to take down its government,no matter how many lives are lost

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
This was news a week ago. There is already a thread here about this. It is simply BS. Russia is not going to hand over its best weapons to Assad.

I agree with you as Russia would have to put boots on ground in a move like this, they wouldn't want to take the risk of west getting a hold of their hardware and jeopardizing their Tech against the BMD, If this however does turn out to be true at some point then that would be a key indicator of some serious troubles heading our way

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yes Russian forces would operate this system.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Then that would be trouble as Opposition forces would seek these weapons out, but I believe it is going to Russia's version on BMD

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It makes no sense for Russia to give Syria these weapons. IF they were going to give them weapons, then SAMs that could be used as the opposing force to the Patriots on the way to the region make more sense. Iskander missiles don't, because they aren't going to do much good, even if they can dodge the Patriots. All they're going to do is blow the entire region up, because they're going to have to be used against fixed targets, which means Turkish cities, or the Syrian people. Either of which is going to beg for massive intervention.

Russia and the US, during their proxy wars during all those years, always did a tit for tat escalation. One side gets helicopters, the other gets Stingers. They get Stingers, then the other side gets better defensive systems. This would be anything but that kind of escalation, and would serve no purpose, except to ensure that Syria gets invaded.

Not to mention that these missiles are expensive. Russia wouldn't just give them to Syria, and I'm not sure Syria can afford them right now. They need more "normal" weapons, not some weapon that they can't use.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I am just getting reports that America has backed down after being told by Iran & Russia that a World War will happen over Syria,,, within hours of Russia saying this American Aircraft Carrier & War ships have already left Syrian waters, well done Russia, I knew you were top dog over USA, always have and always will be, we need a strong Russia to keep yanks in check these days.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Uhm, your sources are so wrong it's not even funny. The Eisenhower was never there for anything but transiting the area to come home to Norfolk. She came through the Suez Canal to head to Norfolk for maintenance. She was never going to be part of anything in the area.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Just my two cents for what it is worth I have a good aquantince of mine who is from Syria and who,s family is still in Syria. (outside Homuz). And he is a Christian who is pro Assad, He says Much of what we hear is bull, My friend fears for the christian's living in Syria if Assad Is toppled.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0352

Christians throughout the region should be afraid.

Assad was brought up in an Alawite faithful family, and is/was more tolerant of Christians than other sects, particularly Sunni Muslims. Alawites are aligned religiously with Shia Muslims, the predominant faith in Iran. The sectarian disputes are very old in the region and have changed very little for centuries. IF the western backed rebels are successful at overthrowing the Assad regime and take power in Syria, no doubt that Christians will be persecuted, and perhaps worse. Any group(s) that were seen as supportive of the Assad regime will be the targets of the rebel forces, especially Christians, and that will be a problem for the west when the time comes, because they have backed these rebels, and even officially recognized them as the "legitimate representatives" of the Syrian people. A tough position to defend when the brutality comes down after the Assad regime falls.

What most people don't know is that there are covert elements in Syria inciting and instigating most of this, and their objectives are driven too by their faith, they wish to fulfill prophecies and to make war with the great Satan.

The Alawites and Shiites believe in the end time prophecies, the time of conflagrations between Muslims, the battles with the "Great Satan" and the return of the Twelfth Imam. There is a clandestine group that has been covertly involved globally in acts of Islamic terrorism since the 90s, their insanity and their faith are one and the same now.... They believe they can make all of this happen, and gain religious justification to attack and destroy their ultimate enemies Israel and the USA, the "Great Satan" usher in the return of the Twelfth Imam, establish and rule the world for a time under Islam (a global Islamic caliphate).

You'll just have to see what happens next to believe it....

That said, if you know Christians in Syria, and if they can they should get out as quickly as possible, IF possible.

edit on 16-12-2012 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
To be honest it was Assads troops who were firing live bullets at demonstrators......in the beginning....
I realy Doub that Assad has recieved these first line missiles from Russia...they are so new the russians dont want to lose the tchnology im sure...
If these are really in Syria, then look to the west to try to capture at least one of them....
But Russians are not that stupid as to gove away high tech to where it could be lost......

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I realy Doub that Assad has recieved these first line missiles from Russia...they are so new the russians dont want to lose the tchnology im sure...

I don't know if the report is true or not, but the Russians have more contempt for NATO and western influence than they do interest in defending the Assad regime.

These missiles aren't as much as game changer as they could be an equalizer. Assurance that NATO defenses in Turkey can be bypassed, the patriots rendered potentially ineffective. And could serve as a warning to keep NATO/US influence OUT of Syria.

It could be a bluff, or a lie, or the truth, nothing can be taken at face value that is being reported from Syria, and/or from the region.

We'll see...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I just thought we should list some lovely targets that these weapons can hit.

Israel's Nuclear Reactor would be number 1.
Israel's Nuclear weapon storage if Assad knows where they are.
Any port facility for loading oil exports.
Saudi's Royal Palace.
War ships.

The problem will be what to do if the US does try to enforce a no fly zone. Will the US then try to destroy these missile batteries because if she does try, it is logical to assume that Assad would fire them all rather than have them destroyed.

I also wonder if Russia has given similar tech to Iran in the form of help to build their own.

Interesting times.

P

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yes a good few targets, consider though that Russia isn't likely to want their tech to fall in to the hands of the west mainly US hands as it is one of the Russians game card against the BMD, if this move is true than I would say Russia would be responsible for these units, and would have to have an active role in defending these Units as well

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by ausername
The Russians defended the Assad regime while they were killing thousands of people, many innocent civilians. They used their veto power in the UN to stop tougher diplomatic sanctions.

Wait a minute.. The Assad regime wasn't killing thousands of people before foreign mercenaries began invading Syria. The blame cannot be simply put on Assad because the very oppositon which the west is supporting are committing the same atrocities even to the point they are using children to commit war crimes.

Have you heard what the Saudis have been up to? They are releasing prisoners on death row only if they go to Syria and fight with the opposition... The war in Syria is not a civil war.. If the same was to happen in your country, it would be called an invasion. Syria are fighting terrorists and foreign fighters which have hijacked the revolution.

You seem confused. This started with peaceful demontrations like in the other Arab states, When the police could not get rid of them Assad sent the army in to start shooting. Many army units refsued to fire on civilians and changed sides. The bulk or rebellions fighting forces remains Syrians forces that have changed sides.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

If you are talking about during this war, there is no PROOF that the civilians were actually killed by the military. There is more evidence that they were killed by the rebels. Don't believe everything you read.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join