It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preconceptions could be fun.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Preconceptions, i love them

We all have them, and as long as we are aware of that we do, they can be really fun

If i for example, a swede far from the United states of america, think about the southern part of us,
I think about tothless hillbillys in trailers with the confederate flag tattooed on the shoulder.
Blonde bimbos in homemade jeans shorts.
All talking with a funny accent, and all rasist to the core.
Everyone has a shotgun with wich they target practise on empty beerbottles hanging in strings from an old swingframe, while sitting crazy drunk in an old served out armchair.
Haha i know that the real life dont look like that except for probably some extreme cases

But still, that is the picture i get in my mind, and thus it is a preconception.

Australians, if i think about them i get an image of really pale people, pale because in australia everyone except crocodile dundee is afraid of the sun and skincancer

Ive never been to either the us or australia, so if i should make an example of a place nerby where ive actually have been.

Finland "soumi"
All finnish dudes go around with knives, knives that they have made themselves, they hardly ever talk,
And they all are afraid of showing emotions and even more afraid of their wifes. Who is even more bad ass then the guys

And norweigans

They are all not so smart
they are kind of dumb and gullible

I know many finnish people wich i love as dear friends. And i know that its only preconceptions. The same goes for norweigans

So if looked upon in the right light, preconceptions can be fun

Please share your similair preconceptions of people from different places than yourselves, and please please let me know how the world see the swedes preconception wise

Have a nice time whatever time of the day or night you find yourselfs in

Jimmy

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jisujaaljo
Everyone has a shotgun with wich they target practise on empty beerbottles hanging in strings from an old swingframe, while sitting crazy drunk in an old served out armchair.

You target practice on bottles/cans with your rifle or pistol. You use the shotgun with clay pigeons.

I prefer pepsi/cocacola cans and bottles my self, because I don’t drink alcohol.
If you fill a can with water, it makes a nice boom/splat when hit by a rifle.

Empty food cans also make a good target. Fill them with water and put them on a hard surface. When you hit them dead center, then they will literally fly up in the air four of five feet, with water going all over the place.

I’m one of those hillbillies, I just know those things.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Haha, love your reply

Oh im swede, we aint allowed to have rifles or guns the way you are, so i wouldent know what to shoot with what

edit on 16-12-2012 by jisujaaljo because: Just added a line

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jisujaaljo

I've had preconceptions for the longest time that people from the countries of Sweden, Finland, and Norway are all cut from the same cloth.

You all bring an interesting twist to a conversation. More naive in some ways than Americans yet more insightful in others. Just when you think you know where a situation or conversation is going, one of you "thick bloods" come along and throw a monkey wrench into the works diverting everything in a different direction. For good or bad, you keep everyone on their toes and thinking.

Kind of like this topic. I've been here for many years now and not once, if memory serves, have I ever read a topic of this nature. I could see this topic going in many different directions and, if for that reason alone, you deserve an applause from staff.

Seriously.

In the meantime I'll treat you with 2 songs from one of your own. Good guitar lessons if anything. There's another preconception.......everyone in Scandinavia considers Eddie a Norse God.

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

Stay warm my friend.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
HAHA I'm from australia, and as much as the masses will flock to the beach for that ultimate golden tan, there is a lot of caution regarding skin cancer. We have ad campaigns warning against skin cancer, and tans.

To be honest, i don't know what the hell we try to achieve half the time

When i think of skandinavians (in general), i think of civilization and "modernity" and everything white and in order. I think of how my mates describe their love for metal. I hold no particular thoughts for individual Scandinavian nations (other than norway's ikea) - rather i see them as a whole. Maybe i'm just not well-read on their differences.

My thoughts regarding the southern US are almost identical to yours. Pro guns, conservative, logic-defying patriotism (not to be confused with genuine patriotism), religious people. EDIT: Before this goes off the deep end, this isn't a bad thing - it's good that they have something they can live for and believe in. but like i said, i'm not well read on such

I don't know about any other countries, i always see a lot of positive parts of every country, and i try and read as much as i can, so i'm not really one to dwell on a stereotype, like the view that some people have that we are all badasses/crazy people.
A lot of our people are city dwelling morons. We still have idiots in traffic, stupid young girls and teenagers that follow popular american culture. And then we have the groups of people that try and change our identity to a more multicultural one, while other groups will try and keep us as "aussies" and will cast out foreign people.

We are a very mixed up nation that has racism, kindness, modernity, backwards thinking patriots, american culture, alcoholism, people that try and do the right thing, people that hate people that try and do the right thing, etc.
edit on 16-12-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
When I think of Sweden I think of hot, blonde, large breasted chicks named Inga.

Any places in Sweden full of chicks like that?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
People make preconceptions simply based on avatars.

I'm actually a 19 year old fat guy living in my mom's basement playing "Games of War-Death" and eating hotpockets.

or

An eighty year old Asian grandmother working for the Iranian Mafia.

(
)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Thank you so much for your kind words

And about your preconception,
Perhaps we are a bit naive, i mean we do live in a bubble up her in the cold north

For the rest of it, i just have to agree because it sounds so good
true or not

Keep warm your self friend
Jimmy

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

Haha, awesome reply

Well, it is clean, and now it white as well,
Ikea is swedish, norway has its oil, and the finnish have the best beer and the best sausages in the world

Jimmy

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

Lol, uhm, yeah!!!!
We got those everywhere, only they aint named Inga

Its names like "maria, Susanne , Lisa, Berit , Josefin, Eva , Lotta "
Jimmy

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I actually thought of you as a crying bunny,

Or...

A dude in his 50s with a beard and a hockey haircut

Lol
Jimmy

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jisujaaljo

I notice that all your examples are of Caucasian people.

I guess it's OK to indulge in this kind of game about white people because that's "safe" but I guess you would feel differently writing the same kind of post about other races.

I wonder why this is? The media teaches is that it can be "fun" and acceptable to target Caucasians this way, but is is the deepest possible sin to make fun of other races the same way. Is this fair? Think about it.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Well, thats easy, it about preconception in a fun way, and one of my preconceptions about other races is that some of them pull the rasism card as soon as they get a chance, and therefore, just as you said its safer to do it this way.
If we take black folks in Amerika for example, i could say that my preconceptions are that all of them where to big sized pants, and that they all barbeque in the park while drinking beer from those big beerbottles you have in the states, but in doing so, i would risk that someone pulls the rasist card on me wich would take the fun out of a thread thats meant for fun.
So now a question to you, why so serious?
Hugs n kisses
Jimmy

new topics

top topics

join