It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I Ask ATS Members to Commit to a Random Act of Kindness?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and it just seems that as the saying goes “If nothing changes, Nothing Changes” , we are doomed to repeat everything we do each and every single day, day in day out for a week, a Month, a year...our lifetime.

We all know what just happened and this is the point of my thread. I’m not going to turn this into another Ct shooting thread or anti/pro gun legislation. It’s all going to play out exactly as its supposed to. Either we win or we lose.

People around the World are feeling this grief. I’m Canadian and I can tell you that there were a lot of tears shed in my town as this unfolded. We are all in this.

No. What I am asking for is a random act of kindness. The most selfless, warm-hearted and most appreciated act we as humans have at our disposal. A random act with no expectations and sometimes even going without acknowledgement of the act because it’s done anonymously.

A random act of kindness can put a smile on a neighbor, stranger, friend, family member and just about anyone on the receiving end of the act. This is what we need at this time. A showing of humanity in an otherwise terrifying and depressing time. Kindness.

My act?

Well to be honest it’s not going to cost me anything at the start.

I do a lot of shopping at a local grocery store for my take-out biz. I mean a lot! At this time of year they run a promo with what is referred to as ‘Turkey Dollars’. For the Month leading up to Christmas they hand out a dollar certificate for every $25 spent. Cash them in on a turkey a week before Christmas. Dollar for Dollar. Most people are lucky enough to gather 5-10 and sometimes maybe 20 of these dollars which they use towards their turkey.

I have so far gathered over 100 of these dollars...
I don’t shop for household groceries but rather for my business. So, can I use 100 dollars worth of turkey? Of course I can. I can use it in my business for soup, sandwiches etc. But this year I’m going to pick 3 nice birds (I figure I’ll have another 50 turkey dollars this week) and give them away to 3 families I know that are in need. If I can stretch it to four, I'll do it. They come into my store on a regular basis when they know we have our 1 dollar breads on display because they can’t afford more than that.

I can’t do it anonymously because I don’t know where they live but I’m going to tell them that I have too many turkey dollars this year and not enough freezer space. I don’t know if they would be embarrassed with the truth but why even bother if it’s not important? And it isn’t. It’s not much but it’s something I can do.

So now I’m asking others on ATS to think about what you can do as a random act of kindness. So many people are discouraged, feeling alone, empty etc. One small act can give a bright moment if only for a little while at least. It can be anything that you either won’t miss or even a small sacrifice that you will feel. Even the one you don’t miss will be welcome by someone else.

If you have an idea of what you might do, post it here so others might get a spark or an idea of what this is all about.

A few ideas. Follow the link for more.

loveistheword.org...
prepare a meal for a homeless person
smile

call your mother to tell her you love her
write a handwritten note
knit a beanie or blanket for a homeless person
put change in the washer/dryer for the next person
fill an expired or about to expire parking meter
leave some extra money in the vending machine
buy a little extra grocery for the local food bank
plant a tree
send your favorite grade school teacher flowers
write a thank you letter to your parents
pay the toll for the person behind you
tape a nice saying or thought to a bus window
instead of just thinking it, compliment someone
give a sad looking stranger a happy music cd
ask someone “how are you?” mean it. and listen.
make some baked goods for your neighbor(s)
hug your loved ones for no particular reason
make breakfast for your partner or housemate
call someone you haven’t talked to in a while
give someone a flower …or a dozen
offer someone else your seat on the bus/train
visit a senior center or nursing home
say “thank you” for the otherwise routine, mundane
pick up trash
donate one of your favorite possessions
give someone a fruit basket
collect clothes to take to a local shelter
stop to have a conversation with a homeless person
give an inspiring book to a struggling friend
leave your favorite book in a public place with a note
donate books to your local library
visit an animal shelter
volunteer at a soup kitchen
build a home with Habitat for Humanity
mentor local youth
pay for the person behind you at the drive-thru
buy dessert for someone eating out alone
pick up the tab for a random table at a restaurant

Merry Christmas.

edit on 15-12-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Yeah give'em the bird!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I've been struggling lately with what I can contribute to the world

How about we start with smiling? It's free

Pass it on.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I can't post any thing I plan to do because my acts tend to be arbitrary. But automatic stars for those who do post.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
One act is not enough. Kindness must a routine, not something one does on Saturdays.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
One act is not enough. Kindness must a routine, not something one does on Saturdays.

Ok, I guess you are starting it for the rest.

Please post your act and remember...Santa's watching...

A random act might be enough to show that it is indeed not a Saturday thing. One act might be 2, 3, 4...

Peace

edit on 15-12-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
What a lovely post.

It only takes a second to do a random act of kindness. It doesn't have to be big or grand, just heartfelt. Once you get the hang of them, they become quite easy.

After what happened, logging onto this site, I am very glad this was the first post I saw.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Great idea jude, and thanks for the suggestions

We need these ideas dropped into our awareness every now and then, particularly now brother.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter
What a lovely post.

It only takes a second to do a random act of kindness. It doesn't have to be big or grand, just heartfelt. Once you get the hang of them, they become quite easy.

After what happened, logging onto this site, I am very glad this was the first post I saw.

It's as simple as providing a quarter for someone who is short for a bus ticket.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Little does anyone know that I commit to an act of kindness on a near-daily basis by not strangling some mental defective that so desperately deserves it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Absolutely lovely!

Makes my heart smile!

My dad paid for a ladies groceries once, because her card declined, and I've always thought that was really awesome and super nice.

So I think that's what I will do. Pay for someone's groceries. That would be the highlight of my day if someone did that for me. So that's my plan.

I will pay for someone's groceries when I am at the store again.

Increase the peace! -nat

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia
reply to post by jude11

Absolutely lovely!

Makes my heart smile!

My dad paid for a ladies groceries once, because her card declined, and I've always thought that was really awesome and super nice.

So I think that's what I will do. Pay for someone's groceries. That would be the highlight of my day if someone did that for me. So that's my plan.

I will pay for someone's groceries when I am at the store again.

Increase the peace! -nat

Nice!

I truly hope you do as it will mean so much to someone else that you most likely won't know.

Just a little is all we need...

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Little does anyone know that I commit to an act of kindness on a near-daily basis by not strangling some mental defective that so desperately deserves it.

It just warms my heart to read these words...

Peace

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It seems that some might need more examples:

loveistheword.org...

put $10 on a random gas pump
buy flowers for the cashier at the grocery store
visit an orphanage with some goodies
prepare a “to-go” breakfast for the morning mailman
mail a friend some cupcakes
send anonymous flowers to your office receptionist
buy an extra umbrella on a rainy day
give your waiter or waitress a huge tip
tape an anonymous joke to your boss’ monitor
send a nice card to a family member, just because
don’t lose any opportunity to say: i love you
leave a funny or kind note in an unexpected place
invite a non-local friend over for dinner with your family
read to a child
rake someone’s yard
be a courteous driver
hold the elevator
visit a lemonade stand
recycle
offer someone an unexpected tip
set up a free lemonade stand on a hot day
take some soup or hot chocolate to a homeless person
leave a collection of positive news clippings in a waiting room
practice patience
refrain from gossiping; speak well of others
act as if the glass were half full
turn off a leaky faucet
let someone get ahead of you in line
listen intently
prepare a nutritious sack lunch for a homeless person
babysit for a single parent
wave a “honk if you like to smile” poster at a street intersection
be bold in your appreciation of life around you
create an inspired piece of art and gift it to someone
give a lottery ticket to a stranger
compliment a stranger sincerely
run an errand for someone
give something awesome away on craigslist
leave some extra stamps at the post office
send a friend an old photo and recall that time
send a random person in the phone book a small gift
send your sibling a small gift anonymously
donate an hour of your professional services
invite someone who is alone over for dinner
leave chocolate for your co-worker
spend time with the elderly
share your secret recipe with a friend
write a letter of appreciation
introduce yourself to someone you always see around
anonyously send a friend in need some cash
throw kids in your neighborhood a pizza party
tape some change to a payphone
put up anonymous, lovely post-it notes for strangers to find
donate blood
cook dinner for a busy parent
give a little one a lollipop
make time
speak gently
laugh heartily
share your last bit
one time, stop everything to help someone else

Give a child a lollipop, cook dinner, laugh, listen. say hello to a stranger...Say "I love you"

If we can't do these small things that are so welcome by the receiver, what the hell are we saying about ourselves?

Peace

edit on 16-12-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Hey Jude......
I feel you ATS friend......The World is at a critical point and time, and whatever may come at us, we need to make everyday count, and acts of kindness tend to have a "chain reaction"...even a smile.....

I haven't commented yet about the tragedy that occured yesterday, and am processing it still before I do. Like many of us I have been in a state of "shock" and horror. One thing that has made me feel a little less helpless is a project I'm working on with a group of people making goodie baskets for a homeless shelter.

It's amazing all the great stuff that can be collected just by going through our own homes, I found clothes, gifts, beauty products, lol, you name it, that were all brand new and never used that someone else will hopefully use and enjoy.

My baby is 21 now, and doesn't live at home, but I think if I had young children still, this would be a really great kinda of thing to do with them, maybe balance out the "good" in this world by helping them to think of something they can do to be kind to others...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
Hey Jude......
I feel you ATS friend......The World is at a critical point and time, and whatever may come at us, we need to make everyday count, and acts of kindness tend to have a "chain reaction"...even a smile.....

I haven't commented yet about the tragedy that occured yesterday, and am processing it still before I do. Like many of us I have been in a state of "shock" and horror. One thing that has made me feel a little less helpless is a project I'm working on with a group of people making goodie baskets for a homeless shelter.

It's amazing all the great stuff that can be collected just by going through our own homes, I found clothes, gifts, beauty products, lol, you name it, that were all brand new and never used that someone else will hopefully use and enjoy.

My baby is 21 now, and doesn't live at home, but I think if I had young children still, this would be a really great kinda of thing to do with them, maybe balance out the "good" in this world by helping them to think of something they can do to be kind to others...

Thanks,

I hear you. I haven't commented on the event but have offered opinions on the pro/anti gun legislation issue.

I can't bring myself to talk about the event on the net. Feels too anonymous and therefore not sincere.

I know there a lot of people that I can connect with in cyber but I feel this is best served on a face to heart level.

So, the only thing I can do on the net is offer up what I will do to help others and hope that it takes on some motion.

Peace

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This is a lovely breath of fresh air. THANK YOU for starting this thread.

I'm quite an introvert, so I'd like to propose that a random act of kindness be shown to other members on ATS.
There is way to much egotistical hate speech going on right now, and by god if this is our last week on this earth why are we fighting over petty issues and politics , making mountains out of molehills, pointing fingers and tossing insults, instead of banding together like the race of humans we are supposed to be?
I dare, ...no I triple dog dare for anyone who is flamed by another member on this board in any thread, to put your ego aside, and respond in kind.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How about a turkey and half a dozen bags of groceries to the food bank.
A box of food and gifts to a needy family.
A special surprise to a few very young family members just getting started in life.
A helpful hand to my brother, who never asks.
A small payback to someone who helped me beyond measure in my younger years, yes a payback, but far enough out that she will be pleasantly surprised.
Jars of homemade jelly as a Thank You.
Cookies to our neighbors, especially a couple of them.
Toys for kids who may not have much in their lives, gotta be a kid!
A small gift certificate just waiting for the person it belongs to.
Baby clothes to families that have other financial priorities.

It's been a good month, but somehow I am still having a hard time getting into "the spirit" this year.
I try to stay anonymous, and never ask for a tax receipt, but I figured I would throw this out there.
Maybe it will help with ideas.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Thank you for bringing this up!!
It is a wonderful thing to teach our children! My son just donated a large black bag of his own toys yesterday. Every time we walk past a Salvation Army pail one of my sons will put something in, whether it is a dollar or just a few pennies. It makes a difference in teaching them to think of others.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks!! I think that the gift card has found it's home on a gas pump!!!
I like that idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join