It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun ownership responsibilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am a moderate gun enthusiast that is sickened by events like these. The gun show loopholes can be closed without reducing ownership rights, but in general, the biggest problem with gun misuse in not the acquisition of firearms but rather responsible ***ownership*** of a firearm.

If a gun owner provides open access to their firearms by other individuals - especially those who cannot acquire them independently - then the gun owner should share legal responsibility for the acts committed with their firearms.

My guns and ammo are locked down - my sons cannot access and will not gain access until they are 21 and pass a background check to purchase ontheir own. Too many gun owners toss weapons in drawers or closets, or provide routine access to children or friends thinking this is OK. Legislation regarding responsibility in this area is what is needed.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Endure

Err... Please define how you understand "Gun Show Loophole" to work? This term was used in California state laws being passed which criminalized the transfer of ownership of ANY Firearm (outside specific selective types) between anyone. This includes friends and family to be technical and specific. It also presumes a universal required registration of ownership, which of course The People's Republic of California has.

Conversely, states like Missouri and many others in this area of the nation DO NOT have ownership registries. The state has no clue who owns what beyond the federal verification of being qualified to buy it....IF you are buying from a retail location. I can and have both sold and purchased firearms at yard sales. I sold my AR-15 at a yard sale of my own. Perfectly legal here. ......and we don't have mass shootings any more frequently than hard gun regulation states like CT, CA and IL.

It's the people, not the laws and you can't legislate morality or a respect for the life of others. I wish we could.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
You picking up on some of my comments from one of the CT shooting posts. Like I said there. "I welcome the debate (on the issue of more legislation on owners being responsible for their weapons)." "Gun Control" starts where they are stored...and to whom access is given. That would also save a lot of needless tragedies of children getting a hold of guns stored in nightstands and closets and killing themselves, a sibling or playmate.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I certainly believe that there are 2 clear needs:

1.) The need to better manage the gun purchase process to include better vetting of the purchaser while closing loophole sales like gun fairs or private ownership sales. Require that anyone wanting to sell their firearm do so through a registered dealer who is required to complete the background check on the purchaser.

2.) More enforcement of training mandates that include safe handling, safe storage and safe use. You could require that someone complete a course and bring a certificate of completion before they would be permitted to purchase a gun.

Neither of these would curtail 2nd Amendment rights and seem sensible to me.

new topics

top topics

join