screw humanity. what about the Earth?

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
everyone is sooo concerned with these shootings.

yes. it sucks that some kids got killed. ok.

why doesn't everyone get this worked up over the new oil spill in new york? our perspective is sooo selfish and small. we really do only truly see ourselves.

20something kids die...and the world weighs in on the US constitution and gun control/reform. 100,000+ gallons of oil spill into the ocean, killing who knows how many fish, other ocean creatures and the animals that will eat them but that's not really news. there's a bird sanctuary on staten island right near the spill that is threatened? how many birds will die?

yeah yeah...i know...what's a bunch of fish and birds in comparison to some school kids? well, quite honestly, you don't know those school kids and never would've...however, you might end up eating that poisoned fish! but you don't really care about that fish, now do you?

how can we fail to see the interconnectivity of life so often? consider Gaia our petri dish. humanity is merely one of the "cultures" being grown inside of this petri dish. yet we only care about ourselves?

we are a virus. we are ONE. we've spread like AIDS all over the earth.
"TAKE THAT GAIA.", screams the virus.

well...Mom's immune system will restore order if we don't kill ourselves first. either of those options would be good for the world.
neither of them are all that promising for our current way of life.

UH-OHS...

yes...the shootings suck but a bunch of kids getting shot doesn't matter as much as tankers full of oil spilling into our oceans. i promise.

let's be real people. but we can't...we have emotions to revel in!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Screw the earth, what about humanity?
2nd

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

If you honestly believe that you are a virus, why are you not eradicating yourself?

Be the change you want to see. Maybe others will follow your glorious example.
edit on 15-12-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I agree with you that there are larger problems at hand, and sadly it seems that the majority of people are ignorant to this fact. However, I find it naive of you think that mankind could ever really deal with these problems when we are still busy going around shooting each other.
So especially because there are these apparent apocalyptic threats lurking in our near future, it is of the greatest importance that we put an end to tragedies such as the recent shooting in the states.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You got it right!
The Earth is fine,and will be.
Humanity is but a flea on the Earth.
Once she shakes us off,she will feel better.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You go ahead and do your best to save the earth while I will do my best to save the innocent people that live on the earth.

The earth is not a living creature. The earth has living creatures on it. Until we can get together as a people and understand our worth we will never be able to understand the worth of the earth that we live on.

I understand what you are trying to say but to downplay the tragic death of so many children compared to oil-spilling is somewhat heartless. I know that we have to protect the earth or we will all die when we destroy the earth but hey, we have to get it together ourselves first.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Another thing that I don't understand is what the diference of killing kids and defenceless adults. It looks exactly the same to me.

But people freak out when children die.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

That virus analogy has been made countless times...

Caring for the Earth, while caring for our own species, is just as important. We sometimes tend to place ourselves before anything else, simply because we're human.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

I think it is a matter of children usually being more innocent then adults. In the sense that they could hardly be blamed for anything, their whereabouts, behaviour or such, where as an adult would, could and should. In the sense that if an adult person is involved with crime and is shot because of that, we would most likely blame their choice of lifestyle. But a child has not yet been able to make this choice. So I can see why people are more upset.

But looking at it though determinism, we are all without blame, in which case I would agree with you.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

The Earth hasn't got a problem.. People do and if we feel the need to destroy our environment, then we deserve everything we have coming. Just remember though, the Earth will still be here afterwards regardless of what we decide for ourselves even if it is a bare rock floating around the sun and lifeless.
edit on 16-12-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

World Population

127,138,500 Births this year

178,884 Births today

54,299,744 Deaths this year

76,400 Deaths today

72,838,756 Net population growth this year

_________________________________________________-

4,993,614 Forest loss this year (hectares)

6,722,755 Land lost to soil erosion this year (ha)

32,220,773,024 CO2 emissions this year (tons)

11,522,560 Desertification this year (hectares)

9,402,773 Toxic chemicals released in the environment this year (tons)
www.worldometers.info...

We are indeed a cancer to earth right now. Our population is to big, we are not in harmony with nature. Our population should be kept at 500.000.000 to stay in balance with nature.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
reply to post by DarknStormy

World Population

127,138,500 Births this year

178,884 Births today

54,299,744 Deaths this year

76,400 Deaths today

72,838,756 Net population growth this year

_________________________________________________-

4,993,614 Forest loss this year (hectares)

6,722,755 Land lost to soil erosion this year (ha)

32,220,773,024 CO2 emissions this year (tons)

11,522,560 Desertification this year (hectares)

9,402,773 Toxic chemicals released in the environment this year (tons)
www.worldometers.info...

We are indeed a cancer to earth right now. Our population is to big, we are not in harmony with nature. Our population should be kept at 500.000.000 to stay in balance with nature.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

Yeah well dear mother earth is doomed with or without us! The natural systems we depend upon today are destined to fail as they have time and time again. We give these events of catastrophic failure the prestige of being responsible for creating diversity on Earth. Consider that 98% of all species that have ever existed are now extinct!

Humankind cannot hurt the Earth friend! We need a population of a trillion and a planet wide city should be our goal! Certainly we strip the oceans pollute the atmosphere and hurt the natural systems we depend on. An even larger population demands that we master and manage these natural systems. Even now we should be managing ocean stock. It is a simple principle to farm the oceans, and put back what you take out. Our fisheries have fished out the arctic cod, blue fin tuna and many others, and no one has ever attempted to repopulate the fisheries by artificial means like releasing millions of fry? Why is that friend?

In order to survive we need a large populous which will force mankind to farm/manage the oceans and completely master/control the natural systems we depend upon. We must fully manage the oceans and atmosphere all of the systems we depend on. It is also this forcing that will push mankind to the stars and thus possibly ovoid the single point failure that is Mother Earth.

If Earth is managed right it can support trillions of people! To prefer the notion of extinction for your own species over other species which are doomed to extinction with or without us is just plain stupid!

Certainly we need to manage things better, but at the end of the day all of the Earth should be used for the purpose of supporting human life! The technology to accomplish this goal should be at the forefront of science.

If Humankind did manage to bring about some massive extinction event killing ourselves and 90+% of other species, we will have just created a window for future diversity! That is likely impossible though even if we tried

Your hate for humankind speaks more to your self hate than it does to common sense! Humankind does not survive, nor does he keep himself above the animal world by the principles of humanity, but rather by means of the most brutal struggle. We won't fix it until we break it, but if we do develop the tech to manage our ecosystems we will survive as will many species that would have perished if left to nature alone.

Mother Nature loves humankind best of all because it is Humankind that may bring the torch of life to other world! Die for a whale if you like, but leave the species out of it!

Depopulation is an idiots dream! Try as you might the notion of humans hurting planet Earth is entirely fictional. There are countless events in Earth’s history that make the entire history of human impact seem trivial.

We have the technology to better this world and support billions more, but we choose not to use it because we value the lives of whales too much, or maybe it just does not pay enough! Whatever the reason we had best get on track pretty quickly or you will get your wish and Humankinds future will be firmly planted on the back of an ecosystem which is destined to fail. Necessity is the mother of all invention, and in my mind a single human life is more valuable than all the whales on the planet!

edit on 8-1-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

top topics

join