page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Yahoo lies.....

Still paying $3.78 a gallon.

End of bush's term prices were around $1.60.......there's your reality check......bama still sucks.

Gas prices were at an all time high under Bush, even higher than under Obama. The record stands at $4.40 per gallon and that happened while Bush was in office.

Of course Bush didn't control the oil prices and neither does Obama. But if you're going to tie the gas price to the president, then you can tie the highest price to Bush.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NinjaKitteh

Well, now there is no debating the fact that it's getting awfully uncomfortable if not downright painful to keep watching both sides play against the middle when the public are the ones in the middle.

I'm not sure TPM started as the extreme that it's certainly come to attract and actually has become in many places now. TPM is as decentralized as Occupy, at least in many areas and those where I know people who are involved with it. It isn't what it started as though which is why I don't claim to be a part of put time into supporting it directly myself. It's a bit more extreme than our 50/50 nation will ever tolerate ....just as Occupy is, to be honest.

Now if the best of both sides could join everyone else down in the middle to find solutions instead of worrying about taking credit, we'd get things fixed, eh?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
In one of the pre-election debates, I could've sworn Obama argued that gas prices were so low when he first took office because the economy was on the verge of collapse...

... I could be mistaken though

Nope I'm right, here ya go...

edit on 15-12-2012 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

Yup all the signs of collapse are there. January 1. Is the beginning.

I say it's George bushs fault.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Still remember the days when I was told gas was like 25 cents or something like that and now 3.00 (from what I saw on the drive home) was low. Glad it's dropping but darnit I started being able to drive at the wrong time.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Well, now there is no debating the fact that it's getting awfully uncomfortable if not downright painful to keep watching both sides play against the middle when the public are the ones in the middle.

I'm not sure TPM started as the extreme that it's certainly come to attract and actually has become in many places now. TPM is as decentralized as Occupy, at least in many areas and those where I know people who are involved with it. It isn't what it started as though which is why I don't claim to be a part of put time into supporting it directly myself. It's a bit more extreme than our 50/50 nation will ever tolerate ....just as Occupy is, to be honest.

Now if the best of both sides could join everyone else down in the middle to find solutions instead of worrying about taking credit, we'd get things fixed, eh?

Yes, when the Tea Party first started, I was a bit interested in it. That was in its very beginning when it didn't seem to be on either side. They had potential to be something different, something good and worthwhile, but they quickly descended and became a very extreme group. I was really disappointed because I had hoped it would be something more, something more virtuous, even an answer for those who were tired of the extremist sides that fought and argued all the time. Instead, they became the most extreme and most disagreeable group and really disappointed me

I did start a thread about being in the middle of the road, but I don't think anyone has read it. It was a little disappointing because I put a lot of effort into it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-12-2012 by NinjaKitteh because: added comments

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

What exactly is extreme about the tea party?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Perhaps it is because the economy is still in the crapper, and about to get flushed, might have something to do with it.

Just wait till Jan when the FED will be creating 85 billion a month to monetize the US debt....and Bernanke has stated that this is unlimited until the economy gets better, or inflation starts to get too high (Oh wait, he stated that prices of gas and food don't count into the figure :dn

Gas prices are low because if they go any higher this xmas season sales are going to drop like a rock (same goes with interest rates, they can't raise those either)
edit on 15-12-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er

Pretty much each and every thing they do.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaKitteh

Like what.
What have they done?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Like what.
What have they done?

Seriously??

Wow

Sorry, but I'm not going to list the obvious and let you nitpick each and everything I say and try to defend them. They are the equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church when it comes to politics and I have absolutely no respect for them. If you wish to support them, fine, but don't expect others to do so.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Like what.
What have they done?

Seriously??

Wow

Sorry, but I'm not going to list the obvious and let you nitpick each and everything I say and try to defend them. They are the equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church when it comes to politics and I have absolutely no respect for them. If you wish to support them, fine, but don't expect others to do so.

Lol.
Stop repeating left wing buzzwords and propaganda.

The tea party is anything but "extreme".

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Lol.
Stop repeating left wing buzzwords and propaganda.

The tea party is anything but "extreme".

You obviously want nothing more than an argument. It's not going to happen, not here, not now. If, at some point in time, you wish to discuss it, that may happen, but I'm not going to fall for a set up argument just because you want one.

They are not buzzwords or propoganda. However, those two words are terms that the tea party likes to throw about when they're picking their fights. They are equivalent to signs made that say "God hates (fill in the blank with whatever they happen to be protesting at the time)". I don't give in to those people and I'm not going to give in to you either.

All you have done here is drive home the point that they are the equivalent of the Westboro bunch when it comes to politics.

Sure, some people are going to jump in and agree with you and try to escalate it, mostly because they are in the same group with you, but it's not going to work. You can take the argument somewhere else because it's not going to transpire here.

edit on 15-12-2012 by NinjaKitteh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Falling gas prices are of course a good thing for any business or individual who must purchase fuel. But the overall economic picture around falling gas prices is of course much more ambiguous.

First you must back out any price drop due to the switchover to the cheaper to refine and therefore sell "winter blend" that should be in full affect right now. Though I don't believe there is any of this going on right now, there have also been "gas tax holidays" that influence price.

Next we have supply and demand. If the reason prices are dropping is supply increasing quicker than demand, that IMHO is probably a good thing for the overall economy, though the AGW crowd probably disagrees. If demand is falling with a stable supply that is usually a negative economic indicator. Energy is a component in every good and many services that make up an economy. Falling energy prices can be indicative of softness in the economy.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I didn't blame Obama for high gas prices. I'm not going to give him credit when they fall.

I know too much about economics and how much of it the president does and doesn't control.
edit on 15-12-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

So if you don't want to discuss anything why make a thread?

Unless you just wanted a HEY, LETS BASH THE REPUBLICANS AND CONSERVATIVES.

(and bjax9er never stated anything extremist, and just because some people in the Tea Party could be labeled as extremist - or whatever stigma you want to throw at them - doesn't mean the entire movement is like that)

This thread is quickly becoming a troll thread.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

So if you don't want to discuss anything why make a thread?

Unless you just wanted a HEY, LETS BASH THE REPUBLICANS AND CONSERVATIVES.

(and bjax9er never stated anything extremist, and just because some people in the Tea Party could be labeled as extremist - or whatever stigma you want to throw at them - doesn't mean the entire movement is like that)

This thread is quickly becoming a troll thread.

I very much want to discuss what the topic is, not what somebody pops up and wants to derail it with. There is a difference.

If you want to discuss the tea party, make a thread about the tea party. This thread is about how people attacked and blamed gas prices on the President in order to try to get people to vote for their candidate instead. Now that the prices on gas are falling, they have lost that issue that they grasped so tightly. They ranted and raved about "wait until after the election and the gas prices skyrocket, then you'll be sorry you didn't vote for who we said to vote for".

Although there were a lot of tea party members that screamed that at the top of their voice, the topic isn't the tea party. Of course if you are trying to talk to a tea party member, in their minds, every topic is the tea party. That's just one of the many problems with them that I'm not going to discuss here and now.

As much as some people would like for it to be, this topic is NOT the tea party. Please stick to the topic instead of trying to derail it.

Yes, the trolls do seem to be showing up now, but it's not their thread to take over.

edit on 15-12-2012 by NinjaKitteh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
People who say the president is the cause of high gas prices infuriate me. The president has no control over gas prices. Gas prices are so high because we have to buy from other countries and we are running out. I say drill in to the mountains.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Just to counter a bit with another way of seeing this, but the President has everything to do with Gas Prices. First of all, United States Middle East Policy has a GREAT deal to do with world wide energy markets for direct supply/demand and the perception of it. Ask Carter how that one worked out when he foolishly thought it didn't matter. Errr.... He was a one term wonder, in part, over that mistake. By rights, Bush 2 should have been but the Dems were as bad about choosing a challenger in 2004 as the Repubs were this time.

Second though, the energy markets are like other markets when OPEC is removed for a moment (and the U.S. has a lot to do with OPEC's general mood.being Friendly or Vengeful depending on recent events) they react to the expectation of events. Well, the President has EVERYTHING to do with the general mood and tone of the nation for stability or change......long term growth or other directions to go. That is what a President does. He sets the tone, goals and general direction for the nation to go for his 4 years........and THAT can have a great deal to do with gas prices for reaction, IMO.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Just to counter a bit with another way of seeing this, but the President has everything to do with Gas Prices. First of all, United States Middle East Policy has a GREAT deal to do with world wide energy markets for direct supply/demand and the perception of it. Ask Carter how that one worked out when he foolishly thought it didn't matter. Errr.... He was a one term wonder, in part, over that mistake. By rights, Bush 2 should have been but the Dems were as bad about choosing a challenger in 2004 as the Repubs were this time.

Second though, the energy markets are like other markets when OPEC is removed for a moment (and the U.S. has a lot to do with OPEC's general mood.being Friendly or Vengeful depending on recent events) they react to the expectation of events. Well, the President has EVERYTHING to do with the general mood and tone of the nation for stability or change......long term growth or other directions to go. That is what a President does. He sets the tone, goals and general direction for the nation to go for his 4 years........and THAT can have a great deal to do with gas prices for reaction, IMO.

I can see how that may have some influence, but it's not the deciding factor. Granted, it can affect it slightly in going up or down, you are right.

The deciding factor is the supplier, the refiner, the people who control the industry. Those people hail from both sides of the political divide, but their primary concern isn't in the politics of the matter, but in their own profit margin. With the price as high as it was, their profit was being cut into because people were choosing not to travel. They did keep it high enough that people now welcome the $3 + a gallon as a decrease instead of an increase.

When it was on the rise, we saw $3 a gallon as horrible, unspeakable, a point to rebel against. Now that it's been close to $4 a gallon for so long and it's now decreasing toward $3 a gallon instead of increasing toward it, we welcome it with open arms.

They control us quite well and are able to do so because of the power they are given.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Ultimately you are right about this being a game of how far they can put it to us before we squeal. Each time, it's a bit more and more and more. Each time they go too far, they go back down a bit in prices..and the 2nd or 3rd time hitting the same spot, there isn't a squeal. You hit it dead on there.

At this rate, they'll have their $5 a gallon and without a complaint by 2016. We'll have seen it above that by then and welcome the 'lower' $5. Ugh... ain't the new reality grand?

By politics on this, I wouldn't see that as a red and blue type of politics for the reference, but the way the decisions from the Oval Office (regardless of party) filter down through the chain and across the world in a hundred different ways to effect the decisions those directly changing prices make at a given time.

No, I wouldn't call it right or left. I'd call it old vs. new world order. There was a point under Clinton where I saw $0.79 gasoline here. That was mid 90's. It wasn't until Bush that SO much changed including the general $20-$30 per barrel prices blowing to God knows what from one month to the next. Obama has simply been an extension of whatever changed on all levels after 9/11, IMO. Taxing fuel just added to everything to make a bad thing so much worse..but that's another thread entirely,

(I'll still credit Obama with the prices dropping now though. If that works to make them keep dropping? Yup... All his credit indeed)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join