It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Already Found Proof Of Extraterrestrials Life

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program is the most ambitious scientific collective dedicated to searching for signs of intelligent life in the universe, boasting 5.2 million participants worldwide. The group uses many different methods for scanning the cosmos for signs of life, but primarily focuses their efforts on looking for radio signals buried in the electromagnetic radiation that bombards the earth at any given moment. The theory goes that a reasonably advanced alien culture would utilize radio waves for communication and they are easy to recognize from background radiation because of their narrow bandwidths and repetitive nature.

While working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University in Delaware, Ohio, on August 15, 1977, Jerry R. Ehman recorded a strong narrowband radio signal that appeared to originate from outside of our solar system. The signal, a full 72 seconds in duration, was in the "protected spectrum" bandwidth reserved for astronomical purposes only, and it was about 30 times greater than the ordinary ambient noise of deep space. Ehman was so amazed by the signal that he wrote "Wow!" on the computer printout, giving the signal its name today.

Determining a precise location in the sky was complicated by the fact that the Big Ear telescope used two feed horns to search for signals, each pointing to a slightly different direction in the sky following Earth's rotation; the Wow! signal was detected in one of the horns but not in the other, although the data was processed in such a way that it is impossible to determine in which of the two horns the signal entered. There are, therefore, two possible right ascension values: 19h22m24.64s ± 5s (positive horn) 19h25m17.01s ± 5s (negative horn) The declination was unambiguously determined to be −27°03′ ± 20′. The preceding values are all expressed in terms of the B1950.0 equinox.[4] Converted into the J2000.0 equinox, the coordinates become RA= 19h25m31s ± 10s or 19h28m22s ± 10s and declination= −26°57′ ± 20′ This region of the sky lies in the constellation Sagittarius, roughly 2.5 degrees south of the fifth-magnitude star group Chi Sagittarii, and about 3.5 degrees south of the plane of the ecliptic. Tau Sagittarii is the closest easily visible star.
en.wikipedia.org...!_signal

Each digit on the printout below represented the intensity of a radio signal, from zero to 35, with intensities over nine being represented by letters. Most of the signals on the printouts were ones and twos. But this one, as signified by the “U” in the middle, was extremely powerful—about 30 times greater than the ordinary ambient noise of deep space. Indeed, it was the loudest, longest signal that the Big Ear, which was shut down and dismantled in 1997, would ever pick up. And the signal was narrowly focused and extremely close to 1420 megahertz, the frequency of hydrogen. In contrast, natural sources of radiation, such as planets, usually send out a much broader range of frequencies.

The signal was received at 11.16pm on August 15, 1977 - the night before Elvis died - as a radio telescope in Ohio swept its gaze through the constellation of Sagittarius. It lasted 72 seconds and was earned its name because of the message of disbelief Jerry Ehman, a researcher with the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) programme, scrawled next to the printout recording it. The characteristics of the signal - a rise and fall in its 'loudness' were exactly what the alien-hunters had been told to look out for.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Though I am not sure why, this is actually the first time I have ever listened to the signal. Thanks for posting it.
I often wonder how many times we have sent this signal back into space.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Because of the fact that there is misinformation campaign which wants you to believe that to date, no signal from any extraterrestrial stellar system has ever been detected, and that is simply no true.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
An undeciphered piece of noise in the electromagnetic spectrum is not proof of extraterrestrial life. It's even less proof than finding water on another planet. Indeed, a terrestrial origin of the signal cannot be ruled out. Further, it has never been heard again despite many significant tries with more powerful equipment.

The SETI project has been criticized for its assumption that extraterrestrial iife would even use the electromagnetic spectrum for transmission, especially if it were more advanced than our own. Indeed, look at our own transition to fiber optic and cable methods. How many TV programs are actually transmitted from tall towerrs any more?

So, no, scientists have NOT already found proof of extraterrestrial life.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
yeah to me i don,t see reason for posting this when as far as i see most people have discussed this a million times over...to me surely if they hit a signal then if its based in 1 place they should be able to find it again

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
but you can assume that an advanced civilization would be able to detect seti transmissions, determine what it is and reply to it appropriately.

if they aren't able to detect even the most basic radio transmission, then i doubt they would even be capable of space travel.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbread

Because of the fact that there is misinformation campaign which wants you to believe that to date, no signal from any extraterrestrial stellar system has ever been detected, and that is simply no true.

I am in a totally different book than you. You see, a signal from SETI is baby pablum. There is tons of proof, maybe not official proof, but testimony proof non-the-less, that the government has housed ET and is working with them.
So some of us are way ahead of the alien curve and chuckle at the notion that Human beings are sitting at SETI waiting for radio signals which....the alien races are way ahead of. The ones that are traveling anyway.

They're bending time and space to travel. So do we really think they're phoning home via some antiquated radio system, for some sort of permission?

We are so arrogantly ignorant at times.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
We did recieve a signal that was stronger longer and more complicated....
It origonated on one of another planets moons right here is the Solar system....
Scientists returned the origonal signal and requested the signal be sent in Morse code....
About a week passed and the return signal came through in Morse...
It read simply "We werent talking to you"

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The WOW signal probably originated from Earth. But for me the search for life through signals in space is probably a no hope. Not because I do not believe that intelligent life is out there as it almost certainly is but because we do not know how to listen for them, much like they might not know how to listen for us. We evolved through chance much like our technologies have and given the massive ammount of background noise in the electromagnetic spectrum it would probably be classed as an inefficient and primitive way of comunicating accross the cosmos. The reality is that there is probably a far more suitable method of communication that we have not managed to discover just yet. Either this or the intelligent life forms have realised that due to the distance accross the universe, it is pretty much pointless trying to open communication channels with anything other than the close neighbourhood of solar systems close to their own.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Of course, there's always something...

______beforeitsnews/unexplained-phenomena/2012/08/first-confirmed-alien-radio-signal-received-by-seti-and-nasa-2430064.html

I mean, everyone knows Buddy Holly's alive and well on Ganymede!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

if they aren't able to detect even the most basic radio transmission, then i doubt they would even be capable of space travel.

Wow, you don't have much confidence in things that weren't taught, huh?
What if they're in a different dimension? A different time-line?
What if they are choosing to ignore it? What if they simply have nothing to say?
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It's just being kept from the public that's all. But many of us who have had experience are here to dispel the lack of evidence diatribe that the Elite pump out.

Aliens are 100% real. They are here. Have been here and will continue to be here. It's Man who is technologically incapable, spiritually bankrupt and humanly brainwashed. Let's call it like it is.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oooooops...,
Stirling, oddly enough is where I live
kinda got to that one

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CashStronomer

Ok, I'm confused, I thought it was Elvis went there?????lol I stilll think the movie MIB is way more accurate than we know. Because, sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction. Gotta love Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.
edit on 15-12-2012 by thepolish1 because: finished a thought

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

I don't think they finished the movie yet..., but

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbread

I hope you know I wasn't dissing you when I asked what I asked which was then removed. I was really curious. I thought maybe you knew something or somebody who worked at SETI.

Yeah, a signal was received or so they said. I do believe that was the start of the re-conditioning program and desensitizing efforts put out by the US.

Many of us feel ET is working with a shadow agency of the government. There are way too many people coming forth to dismiss it now.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
but you can assume that an advanced civilization would be able to detect seti transmissions, determine what it is and reply to it appropriately.

SETI is listening, not transmitting. If it DID transmit, unless tha target was really close by, we'd be long gone before a signal was received, understood, and an answer sent back.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I would hazard a guess at the best form of anouncing that there is intelligent life in the Universe is for the said beings to inprint a manufactured chemical code onto an asteroid and to allow it to travel through space to be found else where. I'm pretty certain that the laws of physics rule out any form of long distance electronic communication.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CashStronomer
reply to post by thepolish1

I don't think they finished the movie yet..., but

www.youtube.com...

Wow, That was neat. I was being scarcastic, but that was neat none the less. Elvis did not leave the building, he went home!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Did we ever respond to the wow signal? I think that would be something to do. Send a similar signal back in the direction it came. Maybe we haven't received another one because who ever sent it is waiting for a reply,...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join