It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Gas may be cause of super-charged weather, mass die-offs, quakes and more

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Thank you, will be heading to menards to pick one up!

Watched Gasland last night documentary on fracking, Residents were interviewed that disclosed huge amounts of natural gas leaking into the environment before anyone detected these- obviously since the gases have no odor there could and probably has been more leaks than anyone knows of. This could accelerate this problem greatly. if you have not seen this doc check it out it is on HBO on demand Details heavy water pollution (ability to set ones water on fire) Carbon foot print, Excessive water use and pollution, Animal die offs, Public park use and leasing by Cheny, EPA worker talks about looking the other way- great show.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
This goes back to that Toronto storm posted above...I forgot to point out how crazy this storm was. Picture this...the middle of January, Canada, a storm of both snow and rain, but with lightning that causes house fires. Absolutely nuts. Thundersnow! Anyone ever hear of this before or experience this. I know this winter here in northern WI in late November we experienced two of these strange Thunderstorms just two weeks apart. The second one went on for three hours from about 4:00 am till 7:00 am. It was dark out and lightning continue flashing for nearly three hours, and this was at the end of November. Unheard of for northern WI, but in this case, there wasn't any reports of house fires from the lightning.

A number of house fires are being pinned on the storm. In Vaughan, the attic of a home near Islington Ave. and Major Mackenzie Dr. caught fire after it was struck by lightning. The residents were at home sleeping when it hit, police said, but managed to escape unscathed.

Source

I've seen thundersnow a few times here in Ohio. The most memorable thundersnow storm was during the blizzard of 93. Thundersnow isn't common, but it does happen and always has. I've been told there was thundersnow during the blizzard of 78 too but I wasn't alive for that. It just seems like what would be an odd storm is becoming the norm.

I have my own theory about all this. Back when I was in college we covered a lot of predictions about global warming. According to models at the time what we see now we shouldn't have seen for another 30ish years. I think the warming from us being stupid cased the beginning releases of stored methane. That started more warming and now the combination of both is creating disaster faster then either would alone.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
High levels of methane persist through January over the Arctic. Here are comparisons for January of 2013 to 2012.

The 2013 image shows worryingly high levels of methane between Norway and Svalbard, an area where hydrate destabilization is known to have occurred over the past few years. Even more worrying is the combination of images below. Methane levels came down January 11-20, 2012, but for the same period in 2013, they have risen.

High Methane levels persist in January 2013

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Here's two more Fireballs in the last week.

Fireball falls to earth over Japan

SonotaCo, which monitors the skies above Japan for unidentified flying objects, claimed the fireball was a magnitude of around -11. A fireball is a meteor which is brighter than any of the planets in the night sky, that is, magnitude -4 or greater, according to the International Astronomical Union (IAU). SonotaCo (tr. RocketNews) said the fireball became visible 100km east of Chichibu City in Saitama prefecture and crashed near the coast at Mito City, probably in the sea - which would foil any attempts to salvage a souvenir from space. Falling at a 30 degree angle, the object was apparently travelling at a speedy 20km/s or 44,700 mph

Brilliant streak of light across Western U.S.

The brilliant streak of light was spotted across a wide swath of the West from Reno to San Francisco before dawn on Jan. 17. The New York-based American Meteor Society received reports from about 50 people in California and Nevada who saw the bright light. Seti Institute scientist Peter Jenniskens tells the San Francisco Chronicle the flash of light was a small comet that flamed out when it hit the Earth's atmosphere. The Mountain View researcher says the comet instantly turned to dust and gas, resulting in the flash of light. One witness described it as resembling a giant orange crayon. No pieces fell to Earth.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Here was another fireball report from Virginia on Sunday night. That's four fireballs now in this past week.

Over 100 witnesses report fireball over Virginia

Acorrding to the story here in Lynchburg, fireballs are common!

Lynchburg, VA - Dozens of viewers, nearing over 100 as of Sunday Night, report seeing a very bright "fireball" streak across the night sky. Witnesses report a vivid tail of fire-like red particles extending from the fireball. The fireball was likely a large, or close meteor. These events are more common than many people think. Debris from space enter Earth's atmosphere all of the time and burn up in our sky as meteors. Occasionally, a meteor will be vivid or large enough to be described as a "fireball".

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Ten endangered pygmy elephants fall over dead on the island of Borneo in last 3 weeks:

Pygmy elephants dying

That's one heartbreaking pic there.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Massive storm out in the North Atlantic stronger than Hurricane Sandy, which had pressure down to 940 mb. This one right now is at 933 mb. The recent storms that passed over the states exploded when it got out to see by a process that climatologists call "Bombogenesis."

Ferocious storm set to drop "bombs" of weather hazards

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hi Rezlooper, I totally agree with your dangerous gas theory the more I read up on it and all that you have presented.

Wanted to check in and report another earthquake just occurred in Eastern Texas. near Timpson at 6:30 am Tuesday the 29th...it was 2.8. Also, this same area and most of Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma and Arkansas as well as some other outlying areas are expecting severe storms, squall line, high winds, hail and possible tornadoes this afternoon and evening. We are all under lake wind advisaries now also.

Your ideas about the dangerous gasses seem to fit as there is just so much happening everywhere at once anymore, more than the usual reasons seem to apply. Other things have contributing factors but your idea explains a lot, I think. Thanx.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

That storm has possible tornadoes all the way up to Chicago and northern Indiana. Very unusual I'd say for January. I think unusual is definitely the new normal.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonnyMnemonic
Ten endangered pygmy elephants fall over dead on the island of Borneo in last 3 weeks:

Pygmy elephants dying

That's one heartbreaking pic there.

Good find on the elephants. Saw your post this morning then went to work and saw it on yahoo news. These animal die-offs rarely make the main stream news lately because they are happening everyday, but this one is making the news.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Two major sinkholes: Buildings collapse in one and people missing in the other.

Sinkhole swallows whole building complex in China

Johnny said these sorts of things would start happening in population centers and that's what is happening now. People will start taking notice. This video in China is something else. Massive sinkhole swallows three buildings.

The group of buildings was totally swallowed by the hole which appeared near the construction site of a new underground train station in Guangzhou, one of China's biggest cities. The first building collapsed at 1620 local time (0820 GMT). The other three buildings then fell into the ten metre hole later that evening, according to China state television CCTV. Around 300 residents from the surrounding area had to be evacuated and nearby roads were closed off. No one was injured in the incident and an investigation was launched into what caused the hole to appear.

Then in Montreal you have a work site sinkhole collapse that swallowed up three workers. Two are still missing under the rock and dirt.

Sinkhole opens up in quarry; two workers missing

Check out the video in this link.

Rescuers searched for a man and a woman believed to have been buried in tonnes of earth and rock that had slid into the 200- by 400-metre opening. A third worker was seen at the bottom of the quarry, covered in dust, walking around in apparent shock.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
2 die from Hydrogen Sulfide poisoning

An initial investigation revealed that the two were exposed to the toxic gas while repairing a hazardous material pipeline in the facility. Further details revealed that the two were called in to fix the pipeline around noon. After a while, their coworkers attempted to contact them and once they failed, a few of them began searching for the two. Beliakov and Tal were found within minutes, lying by the pipe. Magen David Adom paramedics who were called to the plant had no choice but to pronounce them dead at the scene

It is believed that they died within seconds of coming into contact with the hydrogen sulfide gas. The two were not wearing protective gear, a mistake compounded by an apparent oversight, as the pipe's mainline valve was not turned off. The facility's workers were stunned by the tragedy. Both men were described as "meticulous for protocol." A Paz Refineries spokesman said that the repair that the two were sent out to do did not require any special protective gear.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Animapocalypse continues in Peru; dolphins, fish and pelicans die-off

According to the Sea Institute of Peru 12 dolphins, 35 sea lions, and 13 pelicans have been found dead along the shores of San Jose, Lambayeque. It appears that many of the dolphins found had died several weeks prior to their discovery, but the government says it have confirmed all the animals died from natural causes. The pelicans specifically, appeared to have died from starvation, as the anchovy population has dropped significantly due to the increase in water temperature. In 2012, the Peruvian government also claimed “natural causes” were responsible for the deaths of about 900 dolphins that had washed up on its shores. In May, Peruvian authorities said warm waters off its coast were to blame for the deaths of more than 5,000 marine birds. Conservationists not within the government however, have continued to question the government’s reasoning, saying “natural causes” does not explain everything

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Great thread by the way.

The following information from JumpingJackFlashHypothesis’ website reminded me of an old Norse prophecy.

The seas, lakes and oceans are now pluming deadly hydrogen sulfide and suffocating methane. Hydrogen sulfide is a highly toxic water-soluble heavier-than-air gas and will accumulate in low-lying areas. Methane is slightly more buoyant than normal air and so will be all around, but will tend to contaminate our atmosphere from the top down. These gases are sickening and killing oxygen-using life all around the world, including human life, as our atmosphere is increasingly poisoned.

jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.com...

The prophecy is based around a future event called Ragnarok, which means fate of the gods. The portion that relates here is about the fate of the god called Thor. In the final battle of Ragnarok Thor comes to battle his enemy called Jormungandr. Thor is the god of thunder, lightning and storms. Jormungandr is the sea serpent that encompasses the whole world. In the end this is what happens:

The last meeting between the serpent and Thor is predicted to occur at Ragnarök, when Jörmungandr will come out of the ocean and poison the sky. Thor will kill Jörmungandr and then walk nine paces before falling dead, having been poisoned by the serpent's venom.

en.wikipedia.org...

The sea serpent could represent the vast veins of gas deposits within the ocean floor. Thor could represent the atmosphere. The next part is very interesting.

Afterwards, the sky will turn black before fire engulfs the world, the stars will disappear, flames will dance before the sky, steam will rise, the world will be covered in water, and then it will be raised again; green and fertile…

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Very interesting, the Ragnarok comparison! Maybe some people can see into the future, and someone saw this coming, from long ago, and they phrased what they saw in terms they'd understand, gods and serpents, poison and fire. The poison serpent from the oceans comes out, poisons the atmosphere, then the lands are destroyed by fire. And then, later - but maybe so much later that human minds can't really comprehend a timespan like that - the Earth heals itself and is restored. Just as has happened before. Even the skies turning black might fit - from volcanoes? Or from the ashes of everything burning, or both.

edit on 29-1-2013 by JonnyMnemonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Thanks for sharing that one Lost...maybe Thor is us.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JonnyMnemonic

Very nice explanation JonnyMnemonic. There's some deep stuff in the poems relating to Ragnarok. I stumbled onto the subject just last year and I keep coming back to it.

September of last year I started a thread related to another Norse Ragnarok prophecy. This had to do with the strange sound phenomena. I noticed some strange noise threads were linked in Rezlooper’s thread titled, “Tell Me I’m Nuts..But” .

Sky sounds from Atlanta 11-8-2012
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sky sounds from Mpls. Suburb 11-8-2012
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My thread is titled Garmr - The Norse hound that heralds the end of the world.

The Norse hound named Garmr is supposed the herald the day of Ragnarok through its howling. After looking through these Norse legends I’m beginning to see that these animals and gods might be associated with forces of nature. I figure the strange noises we’re hearing are coming from the earth itself and maybe some are harmonics frequencies coming from outer space.

One of the refrains of Völuspá uses Garmr's howling to herald the coming of Ragnarök:

Now Garm howls loud | before Gnipahellir,
The fetters will burst, | and the wolf run free;
Much do I know, | and more can see
Of the fate of the gods, | the mighty in fight.

en.wikipedia.org...

Garmr is a hound of the underworld and he guards Hel’s gate.

Garmr and Hel

By the way, Hel and Jormungandr are siblings and their father’s name is Loki.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Another fireball in Scotland this time. That's a lot of fireballs this past week.

Just after 9pm tonight we had reports of a fireball shooting across the night sky. The fireball, possibly a meteor or space junk burning up, was zooming across the sky from South to North. It was described as being green in colour with a yellow or red tail.

Source

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, I guess they have to come up with an explanation for everything so that it never seems they are at a loss for words. All the fireballs are finally being explained...space junk!

This one below is for the Sunday night fireball that was seen over the East Coast. Also, the fireball i just posted above some theorized that that was also space junk. This is going to become the explanation for all the fireballs now so as not to alarm us.

Here's a new theory that may explain the "fireball" people saw in the sky last night. Meteorologist Leo Hirsbrunner says "space junk may have burned up in the Earth's atmosphere and that light would have been visible to people along the East Coast." The timing fits just right. A piece of the Cosmos 1484 entered the earth's atmosphere around 9 p.m. Sunday and burned up between 9:15 and 9:27. Topics Satellite Technology The Cosmos was a Soviet remote sensing satellite launched from the Baikonus Cosmodrome aboard a Vostok rocket. The satellite was launched in July 24, 1983. The fireball was first seen in Canada and hugged the east coast as it continued to burn.

Source

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I know I posted a similar story a while back here in this thread about these methane bubbles in lakes and the Arctic where they did a study in Alaska and were lighting the bubbles on fire after poking holes into the ice. This is another story with some more information and really cool pics of the bubbles in a lake.

Pale blue blobs invade, freeze and then vanish

They are gas bubbles, little hiccups of methane that look magical when they're trapped in winter ice, but come the spring, those bubbles will loosen, get free, and like an armada of deep-water flying saucers, they will make their way to the surface. When the ice breaks they will pop and fizz into the air — and disappear. Except they don't really disappear. Once they hit air, methane bubbles make trouble. How much trouble depends on how many bubbles get released all over the planet. In this one lake, there are thousands, tens of thousands of them, as you can see. But in the oceans, they are bigger — much bigger.

And some more from the article

Look at any one of these flat little lake-trapped pancakes, and now imagine one 3,000 feet wide — more than a half a mile across. Gargantuan methane bubbles do exist. Not in lakes, but in the Arctic Ocean. No one had ever seen them that big, or measured them until a couple of summers ago a Russian researcher Igor Semiletov and his wife Nadia, working with an American team, found more than a hundred of them in a small section of the arctic sea off Siberia.

And some more

"These are methane fields on a scale not seen before," he reported. "In a very small area, less than 10,000 square miles, we have counted more than 100 fountains, or torch-like structures, bubbling through the water column." he said.

And finally this that we predict here in this thread

Multiply these findings across the arctic and we've got an obvious problem. If all that extra methane keeps escaping, it will extra-warm the air, which will extra-warm the oceans, which will extra-melt the sea beds, which will extra-release more methane, which will warm the air even more, and then we're in a pickle. But since we've only recently found these oversized ocean plumes we don't know if they're really extra bubbles — or ordinary. Are they a global warming phenomenon? Or have they been burping for thousands of years? Natalai Shakhova, a scientist at the University of Alaska's International Arctic Research Center, thinks they may be new, or newish. "The concentration of atmospheric methane," she told The [London] Independent, "increased up to three times in the past two centuries from 0.7 parts per million to 1.7 ppm, and in the Arctic to 1.9 ppm. That's a huge increase, between two and three times, and this has never happened in the history of the planet," she says. Scientist Igor Dmitrenko, seconded by New York Times blogger Andy Revkin, aren't so sure. The evidence, they say, suggests these bubbles have been around for 6,000 years. Nobody really knows. So, yes, we've got something new to worry about. Methane doesn't stay in the sky as long as CO2, but when it up there, it's a potent greenhouse gas. (It's also a cleaner, cheaper fuel than coal, so it has its fans — not to mention its extraordinary beauty when frozen).

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join