It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Gas may be cause of super-charged weather, mass die-offs, quakes and more

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The new normal is all about extremes. Sure we've had major weather events throughout history but have we had so many extremes going off all at once as we've had in recent months. Another report here points out the extremes.

The New Normal: Heat, Flood, or Icy Cold, Extreme Weather Rages Worldwide

China is enduring its coldest winter in nearly 30 years. Brazil is in the grip of a dreadful heat spell. Eastern Russia is so freezing — minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and counting — that the traffic lights recently stopped working in the city of Yakutsk. Bush fires are raging across Australia, fueled by a record-shattering heat wave. Pakistan was inundated by unexpected flooding in September. A vicious storm bringing rain, snow and floods just struck the Middle East. And in the United States, scientists confirmed this week what people could have figured out simply by going outside: last year was the hottest since records began. “Each year we have extreme weather, but it’s unusual to have so many extreme events around the world at once,” said Omar Baddour, chief of the data management applications division at the World Meteorological Organization, in Geneva. “The heat wave in Australia; the flooding in the U.K., and most recently the flooding and extensive snowstorm in the Middle East — it’s already a big year in terms of extreme weather calamity.” Such events are increasing in intensity as well as frequency, Mr. Baddour said, a sign that climate change is not just about rising temperatures, but also about intense, unpleasant, anomalous weather of all kinds.

AUSTRALIA:

in Australia, where bush fires are raging across Tasmania and the current heat wave has come after two of the country’s wettest years ever. On Tuesday, Sydney experienced its fifth-hottest day since records began in 1910, with the temperature climbing to 108.1 degrees. The first eight days of 2013 were among the 20 hottest on record. Every decade since the 1950s has been hotter in Australia than the one before

BRITIAN:

The biggest change, said Charles Powell, a spokesman for the Met Office, is the frequency in Britain of “extreme weather events” — defined as rainfall reaching the top 1 percent of the average amount for that time of year. Fifty years ago, such episodes used to happen every 100 days; now they happen every 70 days

ITALY:

there were also severe snowstorms in Sicily and southern Italy for the first time since World War II; in December, tornadoes and waterspouts struck the Italian coast.

CHINA:

China is enduring its worst winter in recent memory, with frigid temperatures recorded in Harbin, in the northeast. In the western region of Xinjiang, more than 1,000 houses collapsed under a relentless onslaught of snow, while in Inner Mongolia, 180,000 livestock froze to death.

SIBERIA:

thousands of people were left without heat when natural gas liquefied in its pipes and water mains burst. Officials canceled bus transportation between cities for fear that roadside breakdowns could lead to deaths from exposure, and motorists were advised not to venture far afield except in columns of two or three cars. In Altai, to the east, traffic officials warned drivers not to use poor-quality diesel, saying that it could become viscous in the cold and clog fuel lines.

BRAZIL:

Way down in South America, energy analysts say that Brazil may face electricity rationing for the first time since 2002, as a heat wave and a lack of rain deplete the reservoirs for hydroelectric plants. The summer has been punishingly hot. The temperature in Rio de Janeiro climbed to 109.8 degrees on Dec. 26, the city’s highest temperature since official records began in 1915

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jusvistn
reply to post by WhoFeelsitKnowsit

My feeling was that this is new also. And the article read (to me) like it was something with an urgent undertone that was being downplayed, if that even makes sense.

It seems thre is more and more of this type of reporting, bury the urgency of something between the cute cat videos and tv star updates and maybe noone will see it and understand the implications of what may possibly be going on. Just like I find it rather strange that amongst all of the global warming and ice sheet melting hype, a new reality tv program comes out where they are literally blowing the bergs apart to "harvest fresh water". Is that not counter productive?

There was an Executive Order or something last year, that specified that the Department of Defense would be in charge of U.S. water supplies. Well, hydrogen sulfide is water-soluble, so it's definitely getting into our water supplies now. Where would we get clean water? Old ice! If the ice is going to melt anyway, then head down to the sea and add more weight crunching around the oceanic plates and making more volcanoes go off anyway, why not blow it up and keep that (clean) water on land? Probably cheaper than filtering hydrogen sulfide out of contaminated water too.

As for the, 'is this new' question, yes, these events, at least at the level they're happening now, are new! The chart here shows it:

Clathrate Gun Firing

But it's not really as new as it feels. I think this whole sequence of events really began back in the '80s with that lake in Cameroon belching up some gas and killing 1700 people. I'd call that the starting gun for first gear, a hint of what was to come. Then it just kinda got a little worse, year by year, under the radar, and we slept through first gear, and that includes me. Then in 2010 SOMETHING happened that kicked the pace and scope of the changes into higher gear. Maybe it was just that enough water mass had moved from land to sea by then to ignite enough volcanic eruptions to start the oceanic heating up at a higher level, or maybe it was the change in the Gulf Current, or something else. Doesn't really matter what it was, since it's the effects we have to deal with. So, 2010 is when I would say we entered second gear, and we're still in second gear now.

Dunno what third gear will look like. People fleeing the coasts, something like that. Because people ARE gonna wake up as things worsen. No question in my mind about that. They may not know exactly what is happening but they will see enough fires, explosions and corpses to know at least in a general way that Bad Sh#t Is Happening (tm) and it's time to GTFO. Then people will self-evacuate, in disorganized and probably chaotic fashion, if we don't have the truth and a more organized plan by then.

I wish I had been wrong about all this. Ya know, I'd have been embarrassed and all, but I've been embarrassed before and one thing I have learned about being embarrassed: it is survivable! (Plus, I'm good at laughing at myself.) I actually was trying to DISPROVE what I was saying. You know, figure out all the things one would expect to see from an H2S-methane event like this, then find one of those things to NOT be present. But down to the tiniest detail, everything you'd expect to see is there: people and animals mysteriously sickening and dying; waters heating up, strange smells and HazMat events, radical weather events, more events with hydrogen sulfide mentioned specifically, more methane releases, electrical fires breaking out especially underground electrical fires, piles of scrap metal bursting into flame, more fires and unexplained explosions especially near coasts, more weird government activity (bunkers, finances, executive orders, mass fatality planning, etc), you name it, everything you'd expect to see IS THERE. So, DUM dum dum, real doom is on. I wish it wasn't! I was never the kind of person who wanted doom for anyone; I'm totally the opposite of that! Had a nice peaceful, quiet life of barbecuing and gardening planned. Didn't plan on THIS!

jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.com...

edit on 12-1-2013 by JonnyMnemonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JonnyMnemonic

Mentioning all the incidents, here is another mass fish die-off in North Carolina.

Hundreds of thousands of dead fish reported on Masonboro Island

Environmental officials explain that the fish, Atlantic menhaden, which travel in very large groups, took a wrong turn, up Loosins Creek.

I doubt the fish took a wrong turn. Possibly swimming away from a plume of gas.

Officials say they've noticed a pattern of dead fish in winter months and attribute it to the menhaden tightening their school.

Suddenly, they are tightening their school! How about suddenly there are methane and hydrogen sulfide plumes.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Heh, thanks! Working on today's update now (for yesterday's events), and that'll be in it.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What do you make of this? China is stockpiling food and metals according to this article

China disaster preparedness? Stockpiling commodities and food

Do they know something is up or is it simply preparing for wars because they have also had a military build up as well? Could they be stockpiling underground bunkers like so many of us suspect has been happening in the United States and Russia?

United Nations agricultural experts are reporting confusion, after figures show that China imported 2.6 million tons of rice in 2012, substantially more than a four-fold increase over the 575,000 tons imported in 2011. The confusion stems from the fact that there is no obvious reason for vastly increased imports, since there has been no rice shortage in China.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
What do you make of this? China is stockpiling food and metals according to this article

China disaster preparedness? Stockpiling commodities and food

Do they know something is up or is it simply preparing for wars because they have also had a military build up as well? Could they be stockpiling underground bunkers like so many of us suspect has been happening in the United States and Russia?

United Nations agricultural experts are reporting confusion, after figures show that China imported 2.6 million tons of rice in 2012, substantially more than a four-fold increase over the 575,000 tons imported in 2011. The confusion stems from the fact that there is no obvious reason for vastly increased imports, since there has been no rice shortage in China.

Well, think about the Permian-Triassic extinction event - about 90 percent of everything died (96 percent in the oceans, but land life fared better). That means there was 90 percent less food available. Maybe it won't be that bad this time, maybe 'only' a 75% die-off of the biosphere, or even 'just' 50%. Still, you're gonna need lots of food to maintain much of any population. And there was some news story last year about China having thousands of miles of mountain tunnel systems. Well, inside mountains is kinda where you'd want to make your last stand, population-wise. So, yeah, they know what's going on too, and they're stockpiling. I'm sure we are too, in the US, just easier to hide here, since we grow a whole lot of food ourselves, within our own borders.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Another volcanic eruption, on an island in Papua New Guinea:

Source

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Here's a YouTube video of some explosions:

Video of explosions

She does these each day, catches things I miss, or that I simply let go because the story from the authorities seems believable enough. Worth a watch just to see what all's going on. Gettin' pretty explodey out there, and people are noticing!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonnyMnemonic

Video of explosions

She does these each day, catches things I miss, or that I simply let go because the story from the authorities seems believable enough. Worth a watch just to see what all's going on. Gettin' pretty explodey out there, and people are noticing!

Good report, I see one in Hartford WI. Every time I see one of your updates there Johnny, there's always something a little too close to home like the Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI. Like you said though, these events are happening quite a bit around the Great Lakes.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Originally posted by JonnyMnemonic

Video of explosions

Good report, I see one in Hartford WI. Every time I see one of your updates there Johnny, there's always something a little too close to home like the Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI. Like you said though, these events are happening quite a bit around the Great Lakes.

Remember this NASA warning to employees and families from 2011? (YouTube)

NASA warning

Listen to it. He says something like, 'Whether you're on the West Coast, or the East Coast, or the Gulf Coast, or in the Great Lakes...' See, they've been watching this problem develop over the years.

Back during the Japan quake in early 2011, somebody on 'The Other Place' posted an IP address of an unsecured FTP server in Japan filled with NASA images from all the various STS missions and stuff. So, I promptly got an FTP client, logged in and downloaded *.*, left it on auto-download all night until they cut me off the next morning. Well, sadly, my hard drive died that contained all those images. But I did look through them for a while, a few weeks, before the drive died. There were a lot of kinda weird images, showing whitish tendrils of 'something' in the oceans, and they were clearly watching these over the years as they developed and spread through the oceans. They were also clearly watching coastlines, looking for gas plumes.

So what WERE those whitish tendril-looking things? I think those were bacterial mats, the kind of anaerobic bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide, and they were growing along fault lines, or areas where magma was close to the bottom of the ocean. Not a big ol' blob in one area, but kinda stringy looking, stretching around as they were spreading across the ocean floor. If so, then NASA was watching this problem developing since at least the '90s - and I believe that is the case.

So whatever happened in 2010, NASA knew all about it, because they've been watching this problem developing for years now, so they issued that warning to employees, with that emphasis on the people living on coasts and in the Great Lakes.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It looks like hydrogen sulfide is the culprit in the chemical smell that made many folks sick in St. Bernard Parish in Louisiana on Thursday night. On Friday the test results showed high levels of hydrogen sulfide. Here is the story.

High levels of sulfure dioxide

On Thursday, the level of hydrogen sulfide at the Chalmette Vista monitor was at 1 or 2 parts per billion throughout the day, but at 6 p.m. that number jumped to 10. Levels of sulphur dioxide were between 1.6 and 2.7 parts per billion throughout the day, but climbed to 29.1 at 6 p.m., the website shows. Through noon on Friday, the hydrogen sulfide level ranged from 3 parts per billion at 4 a.m to 23 parts per billion at 10 a.m., while the sulphur dioxide level ranged from 4.7 parts per billion at 8 a.m. to the noon reading of 79.7 parts per billion.

Authorities are also blaming the smell on a local chemical plant which denies having anything to do with it.

Late Friday, Rain officials issued a news release saying its facility was not responsible for the odors. "Our Rain CII Chalmette Plant is operating under normal conditions and adhering to our permits," said Gerry Sweeney, president and CEO of Rain CII Carbon. "We do not believe any of the issues recently reported are due to our facility or operation. We continue to cooperate with the DEQ and other local and state officials."

A lot of poeple complained about the smell making them sick on a local tv channel's facebook page There were two different posts on facebook that said they heard two booms early that evening.:

also heard to booms im in st Bernard parish and the smell is outrageous i hope we are gonna b ok

We smell a "gasoline" smell here in Belle Chasse as well.

Wonder if those red clouds were related to the chemical smell?

Stay safe and indoors people! We smell it in the house without going inside we in chalmette by the high school and got red irritated eyes and bad taste in our mouthes and headaches

My throat is burning, feeling nausea, and eyes and nose burns

WE NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING WE HAVE HANDICAPPED AND SMALL KIDS HERE I've been inside all night... and eyes are seriously red and constant itching.. and tasting something sour

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Yuck. On the plus side, one of the stories had a woman complaining about a funky rotten-egg smell. That was hydrogen sulfide and the fact that she could smell it means that it wasn't at deadly levels, at least at the time, because you lose the ability to smell it when it's above tiny levels. Still, that's a warning sign. I think I'd be investigating moving if I was there, but I know that's easier said than done; it's hard for most people to just pick up and go.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sonic Booms all over the place - hydrogen sulfide explosions?

Boom in MIssissippi

JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - Several Jackson County residents have reported hearing a sonic boom Wednesday afternoon. Many residents from Lucedale to Pascagoula posted on Facebook stating the loud noise was so strong it shook their house or rattled windows. After contacting numerous Jackson County industries, Jackson County Emergency Management Director Donald Langham says he believes that sonic boom came from across the Gulf of Mexico by some sort of military maneuver.

Source

Utah Boom

I do not believe this was the result of "B-52's dropping ordnance" at the UTTR (Utah Test and Training Range). This event shook our windows that face towards the west, which is where Hill AFB and further west the UTTR are located. I know the difference between the shock wave from a explosion and the shock wave from a sonic boom. This was a sonic boom sound. It was 9pm when the first one shook our windows and a few minutes later for the second one. I ran out to our back deck that faces Hill to see if I could see anything. It was quiet. Not even engine noise could be heard.

Source

New York boom

Our viewers report seeing and feeling something between 6:15 and 6:45. Some people describe hearing a loud sound, "like thunder," "a cannon," or "an explosion." Others say they actually felt tremors. One woman in Jamestown reported her house shook. As of 8:00 PM, the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office dispatch center had received several dozen calls.

Source

Boom in PA

Ok this is odd. I was in the house today getting stuff ready for work, then out of no where the house shakes, windows rattle followed by a distinct boom! Most of my childhood was spent around airbases as my dad was in the Airforce, that being said I can't remember ever hearing a sonic boom. Im sure as to what I heard, I had the scanner on and it was reported 5 mi. away as well so not an explosion. I thought jets were not to go beyond the sound barrier over populated areas?

Source

Fountain, FL boom was air force?

A spokesperson for the base said that a “trainee-pilot” had a heavy hand on the throttle…all is well, except he was have a chat with his commanding officer later in the day. Still, we thank the pilot for his service to our country!…and Tyndall for being a good neighbor.

Source

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Wow, getting to be a lot of these! I'm sure some are gas explosions in the atmosphere as they find lightning or static electricity or some other ignition source, but it's hard to tell what percentage. It's probably a mixture of hydrogen sulfide and methane too. The methane will tend to be heading toward the upper atmosphere, and any hydrogen sulfide blown up over mountains and stuff will tend to be heading toward the ground, so it'll all mix together. And sooner or later one of the big ground-shaking explosions is gonna hit a heavily populated area and wipe out a lot of people.

BTW, I think this whole problem is what's behind the gun control stuff. People are going crazy from neurological damage, and many more people will go crazy in the future. I think 'they' would prefer that as that happens, fewer people are armed. Not everyone will be so damaged that they turn into an incoherent face-eater. Some will just be damaged enough that they lose their moral values and logic and reason, and then if they have guns, they might just go blow away a movie theater full of people or kids at a school or whatever. Individually people will say, don't take MY guns, because *I* am not crazy. Right, that's true, but tomorrow you COULD be, and you can't do much of anything to prevent it. So either way, that whole situation looks to get ugly, either because they try to take peoples' guns away and people fight, or because they don't take peoples' guns away and people (continue to) go crazy with them. Looks like a lose-lose situation there to me.

edit on 17-1-2013 by JonnyMnemonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Sydney Australia sets record heat at scorching 115 degrees.

SYDNEY endured its hottest ever day on Friday, with records smashed across the city and thousands of people suffering from the heat. The mercury topped 45.8 at Sydney's Observatory Hill at 2.55pm, breaking the previous record set in 1939 by half a degree. The city's highest temperature was a scorching 46.5 degrees, recorded in Penrith at 2.15pm, while Camden, Richmond and Sydney Airport all reached 46.4 degrees. More than 220 people had been treated for heat exposure or fainting by late afternoon, the Ambulance Service of NSW said. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

Sydney breaks heat record

Australia is having a tough time with the heatwave and wildfires. It's been one extreme after another with them, now after already experiencing weeks of scorching heat, it just keeps getting hotter...115 degrees!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
More Weather Extremes:

Chicago hasn't had a measurable snowfall yet this year. They have no snow on the ground while Mississippi just got 2 to 4 inches and Virginia got 13 inches. London is getting a foot of snow today.

Australia is scorching in record heat. Sydney was 115 yesterday beating out records set in 1939. They're calling it the 'Dome of Heat' which has 70% of the country baking. “The length, extent, and severity of the current heat wave are unprecedented in the measurement record,” said a government climate change report.

Another snowless record for Chicago

Whether you like it or not, we will officially break another record for no snow today, according to the National Weather Service. "It's pretty incredible," said NWS meteorologist Gino Izzi. "It's the middle of January and there's no snow on the ground. Dallas, Texas has had more snow than us."

Most skeptics will argue that the extreme cold and snow events that are happening are proof that our atmosphere isn't warming, but this article points to the contrary. First of all, prior to even the last decade and the temps rising, they rose .8% in the last century, which gave a 7% increase in the amount of water the air can hold. This would naturally provide more moisture in not only rain storms but snow storms as well. What this means is that a rising global temperature will actually lead to more snow during snow storms.

The link between global warming and extreme weather

Climate Skeptics often argue that an extremely cold weather event disproves global warming. The normal distributions by decade for the winter months is given at the right. The graph shows the average winter temperatures have increased significantly during the last 30 years and the variance in the temperature has become greater as time progressed. However, the left side of the graph shows there is still a significant probability of extremely cold weather even though global warming is occurring. This means that the skeptics argument is baseless. It is also sometimes argued that extreme snowfalls disprove global warming, but that is also a baseless argument. Extremely cold air can hold little moisture, and it is warmer air, slightly below freezing, that produces the greatest amount of snow. The Inuit know that a warm spell brings a much greater chance of snow.

Check out the article for the graph mentioned above.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The Great Awakening: 10 Volcanoes wake up in 7 days

On the precipice of a shift: Geologically speaking, we may be on the verge of witnessing something unprecedented in recorded history, as more aggressive change progresses within the interior of our planet. From January 6 to 13, in a span of only seven days, no less than 10 volcanoes were stirred into activity. Six volcanoes in Kamchatka, along, are reporting activity. At the planet struggles to equilibrate its thermal cycle, more and more of the planet’s systems that utilize thermal energy will be thrown into disorder: tectonic plates movements, sea-floor spreading rifts, sesimic events, climate, volcanic systems, and ocean circulation patterns. Change has come to planet Earth, and the effects will only become more pronounced and extreme over time

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Yeah, weather/climate is going completely nuts now. CHICAGO hasn't had even one day of 1-inch snow in a YEAR? That's just crazy. And that Australian heat is making me fear this summer in the States. Last year, in my area, in the Midwest, we had several consecutive days of 105+ temps, first time ever in my life that I've seen that. It was just brutal. I fully expect it to be worse this coming year, since methane is still constantly gushing into the atmosphere from numerous places, unless all the volcanic eruptions temporarily cool things down, on land anyway. I read some science article a coupla months ago that said that scientists determined that in previous extinction events, the sheer heat created a giant 'dead zone' centered on the equator but stretching far north and south, where life as we know it was nigh-impossible, with AVERAGE temps of 120-140 degrees. If that stretched up into the Midwest, we could see 70-degree winters and 150-degree summers (for an average of 110), something like that. That'd be pretty much unsurvivable, even without all the other problems.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Did a post just two above this one explaining how the atmospheric temperature rising can contribute to extreme snow fall events as well as rain events because there is much more water in the air when temps rise. More moisture means more snow as is the case in this 24-hour snow storm in Croatia. They beat out a 150-year record by getting 27 inches. The old record was 19 inches, so they shattered it by 8 inches. Here is ATS thread about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The oceans and their currents are also affecting climate and weather. If you think of the surface of the Earth as being the waters of the Earth and the atmosphere combined - e.g. everything that isn't 'ground' - then the oceans contain probably 98% or so of the thermal energy of the surface of the Earth, because water is so much denser than air. It takes a whole lot more energy to raise or lower the temperature of a cubic kilometer of water by 1 degree than it does to change the temperature of the same volume of air. And those currents have changed and are changing, probably as a result of either the volcanic eruptions and their heat or because of the massive influx of fresh water from the melting ice, and probably it's both.

Quote: "A changing Gulf Stream off the East Coast has destabilized frozen methane deposits trapped under nearly 4,000 square miles of seafloor, scientists reported Wednesday."

Climate-changing methane 'rapidly destabilizing' off East Coast, study finds

So that oceanic heat-moving current is obviously changing, and ANY change to that current is bad news. The fact that it's destabilizing those methane hydrate deposits off the East Coast means that heat is backing up, not being transported toward Europe as it once was. So we're getting milder winters in the Northeast, even as parts of Europe are freezing their gonads off. And as that heat continues to melt away those methane deposits, that will make the atmosphere absorb more energy per square meter, which will melt more ice, which will cause more volcanic eruptions, and destabilize the oceanic currents even more and cause more methane releases, and on and on it goes, the process constantly reinforcing and strengthening itself. And all along, as the oceans heat, the bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide will be expanding their territory, increasing their emissions.

This all looks to be an unstoppable behemoth of doom now, which is why they're preparing mass fatality legislation, and FEMA camps, and stocking up on bullets, and having anti-zombie training, and digging underground bunkers, and spending like there's no tomorrow - because there isn't, not for life as we know it, not on the surface of the Earth.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join