It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent video games caused the massacre of 5 and 6 year olds combined with aspergers/autism

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Reply to post by Lichter daraus

Blaming the music and the games makes absolutely no sense.

If 1 million people play the game, and 1 person goes out and shoots up a school and he happened to have previously played that game, how is that the game's fault? What about the other million people who played the game and went about their normal lives?

How in any way does a game lead to something like this? To seriously sit and think about this idea leads to the realization of how utterly absurd it is.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

did you accidentally quote me?

because I said there is way more to it than evil in video games.
I'm in no way blaming video games I am a gamer myself.
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by grandmakdw

I do understand that people want to find a solution, an answer; but, we should find out what the killers reasons were. Apparently he left behind things that explain why he did it. Lets wait until we know what he left behind before we begin guessing. Peace.

I betcha he left behind a bunch of videos of his MW2 and COD4 sessions.

What I think privately (sometimes openly) is happening is somebody fails at life, or thinks they do, and do not have an adult to guide them and combined with sociopathic or psychopathic traits they shift the blame onto everyone else because they blame the world for their failure. Most of the time, the sh** doesn't hit the fan for them. But for a few the world seems to end, so they lose it.

Most people don't shoot up the school. Should we lose our freedoms just because a couple do? Consider myself, for example. I probably am in the autism-spectrum. I was born in the 1970's and they never caught me while I was in school, probably because my grades were ok or I was a good kid. I've always had significant social retardation; get me? I compensated my problems wiht people by using my computer and writing and reading. I liked video games and programming and creative things. I got teased a LOT in school. YOu'd think somebody like me would pick up a gun and fill all the bullies with bullets, but nope. That's because I'm not crazy and I'm not socio or psychopathic.

Sure, I get mad. I'm probably deserving of a mountain of psychiatric pills. I'll never take them, haha! But I can swear I'll probably never have a gun. I don't like them. I hate real-life violence. The real ME is a wimp. I'm fiercely opinionated, but the furthest thing from a threat to society. While I believe that to be true, I'm sure some expert out there could claim the opposite and have me locked up. Whatever. This is why I don't sell my soul to authority. I believe in being an individual.
edit on 16-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Just one problem with this hypothesis. (well more than that...but I'll be quick and make a singular point)

He (supposedly) killed himself when his war was over.

Does this happen on video games?
edit on 15-12-2012 by DIDtm because: (no reason given)

in many games you can kill yourself, yes
edit on 16-12-2012 by Credenceskynyrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Originally posted by AQuestion

I do understand that people want to find a solution, an answer; but, we should find out what the killers reasons were. Apparently he left behind things that explain why he did it. Lets wait until we know what he left behind before we begin guessing. Peace.

I betcha he left behind a bunch of videos of his MW2 and COD4 sessions.

What I think personally think is happening is somebody fails at life, or thinks they do, and do not have an adult to guide them and combined with sociopathic or psychopathic traits they shift the blame onto everyone else because they blame the world for their failure.
edit on 16-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason
given)

Nevermind
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I know not all gamers become mass killers- same way as 99.999% of gun owners do not murder

Nothing wrong with investigating the effects though of violent games, do they desensitse some people and make someone less likely to empathise and commit these acts?

For what it is worth, I would say a disproportionate number of mass killers are abusers of drugs, whether legal (such as alcohol or prescribed drugs) or the illegal kind

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubAce
Violent entertainment can indeed affect the way a person reacts.

Maybe, but they do not force anyone into doing something they do not want.

If that was possible we will all be buying everything we see in adverts.

In the end, we are still responsible for the choices we made.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by SubAce
Violent entertainment can indeed affect the way a person reacts.

Maybe, but they do not force anyone into doing something they do not want.

If that was possible we will all be buying everything we see in adverts.

In the end, we are still responsible for the choices we made.

this is true, though if adverts had not effect there would be no adverts

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
the reason I do play some violent video games is to release anger and stress on a video game in a fantasy world rather than the real world , it helps you know what I mean?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw
There is a lot of speculation on what caused the shooter to explode like that. As a former professor of Psychology and of Human Development I have a hypothesis.

The shooter was autistic/aspergers. These people have extremely poor social skills and emotionally frequently operate at a very low (ie young child) level. Children can not tell the difference between reality and fantasy until around the ages of 6-8, about the time they catch on that Santa isn't real. My hypothesis is the shooter's emotional intelligence was below that threshold.

Many have said he spent most of his time playing video games. We know that if you immerse soldiers in realistic video games they will perform with less remorse and feeling on the battlefield, there is plenty of research to back that up.

So this man was emotionally crippled and most likely below the emotional level of understanding the difference between immersive fantasy and reality. Add to that video games which lower the threshold of understanding and feeling even lower and WHAM. You have a person who when the right "trigger" comes along acts out the fantasies he has been engaging in day after day, hour after hour, without really realizing the difference between fantasy and the reality of what he is doing. He just acts automatically as the games have trained him to do with no empathy or understanding that the children were people with feelings which he didn't have and so could not relate to.

His mother had the "fantasy" guns available, there was a trigger and he went to a place where he knew there would be a lot of targets and played his game to act out his triggered rage. That's my hypothesis.

As a professor, going off only what the media have said and not actual facts is bad practise.
How about you hold off until you know something solid, rather than making the same old baseless guesses that I could pull out of my ass with my eyes closed.

I'm guessing you don't have kids/teenagers, and if you do, you either don't allow them to play video games, or you don't pay attention to what they play.
Why do I think this? Because as a gamer of 21 years, I think I've gathered by now that not all video games are shooters or even violent, disturbing.

You should know, as a professor of Psychology, that it's not just about the media that someone is exposed to, but their disposition, their mental acuity, their state of mind. A 'normal' mind isn't bent and manipulated by a game.
There is usually already some kind of deeper issue that is awakened by things they simulate outside of reality.

I game sometimes more than 20 hours a week. I'm not far off the shooters age myself.
Every time there is a shooter that guns down numerous others, I could say that the hobbies and pleasures that the shooter enjoyed are my own. It still doesn't make me a murderer in the making.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw
Those of you who think violent video games do not influence behavior are wrong.
It desensitizes one to violence, The only one you are fooling by saying it doesn't is yourself.
You probably didn't read (or just ignored) my previous posts.

I was already desensitized to violence when I started playing violent games, it was a result of watching too many TV shows and movies from the US and documentaries about the Vietnam war.

Being desensitized to violence doesn't mean that you kill your mother with a shot in the face or go to a school and kill small children with many shots (at least one was hit eleven times), being desensitized to violence makes you ignore violence when you see it, it does not make you violent.

I can only remember two cases when a person was clearly affected by games/movies; one was a Spanish (I think) boy that thought that he was Superman and jumped out the window, the other case was someone that killed several people in a bus stop (I think) because he wanted to go to the next level. He didn't kill himself, obviously.

Once he realized it wasn't and what he had actually done, he killed himself.
Why do you keep on talking as if you were in his head? What do you really know about him?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

in a bus stop (I think) because he wanted to go to the next level. He didn't kill himself, obviously.

Why do you keep on talking as if you were in his head? What do you really know about him?

Because he's an ex-Psychology professor. Obviously this means he knows everyone else's brains better than they do

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

in a bus stop (I think) because he wanted to go to the next level. He didn't kill himself, obviously.

Because he's an ex-Psychology professor. Obviously this means he knows everyone else's brains better than they do

maybe there's a reason he's an ex-psychology professor.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I happen to believe that he may not even have been involved in the shootings and his mother and he may have been murdered with his mother ahead of time, and black ops did it. And to be living in a world where that is the most likely case, is really unbearable.

The entire story and all the mistruths brought out by the media don't add up. Looking at his picture he reminds me of my youngest son, and don't see anything but a loved child in his eyes, and possibly another murder victim.

This entire thing makes me really upset, because we're not going to get justice here without a miracle revealing all the crimes of those running the world, and the pseudo justice isn't the real stuff. Its not OK to just accept official stories and tidy up little boxes by blaming the wrong people, and there is a very strong possibility that that is the case. That doesnt let everyone heal, but ensures everyone is always in danger.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Whether violent video games influence kids and their views/psychology on killing, one has to wonder why the video game industry is so saturated with games that focus on killing.

Is it the case that that is what kids (and adults playing the games) want to do? That is their preferred past-time?

Or is it the case that it is being shoved down our throats to play these games because there is nothing else good out there. Whatever the case it's sort of sad.

I love video games but I'm tired of the shooting and killing games. It's tired.

I even played World of Warcraft for a while because I thought it was great to play in a large world and interact with other people, which was fun. However the objective of the game, which was just killing other people and things got tired.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Add pschotropic drugs and I agree 1000%.

Instead of banning guns (which there are over 300 million out there right now... genie's out of the bottle), why not profile white teen males for anti social behavior, mental illness and parents that have legal guns in the house? I mean, we already have back ground checks for guns, why not say as a question to that check "is there an individual that resides where this weapon will be kept who has been diagnosed OR has been communicated to you through school authorities of an anti social behavior" If the answer is yes, no gun. Period. And then, have the schools report this information to the FBI so that the records match in a database.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

there's plenty of non killing games to choose from. you just got a really search ,trust me there's plenty out there.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat

I love video games but I'm tired of the shooting and killing games. It's tired.

Try
Farming Simulator 2013
www.farming-simulator.com...

No violence .

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

Lol, that actually looks kinda cool.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It's actually fun
you should check out Docm77 let play with it