It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves the Drug War is a JOKE

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobra.EXE

One proof of the bankers collusin in the drug trade is downtown Bogota, Colombia. As right up front and obvious as it gets. The biggest buildings in this shot are banks. They don't make that kind money from bananas.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
Excerpt from the article :

Breuer and his Justice Department elected not to pursue criminal prosecutions of the bank, opting instead for a "record" financial settlement of $1.9 billion, which as one analyst noted is about five weeks of income for the bank.

I went to court for possession of an illegal substance (a small quantity of soft drug), and was sentenced to a fine equivalent to 8 months of revenue (because I do get up in the morning and go to work, I also pay my taxes and my bills, and do everything a so called responsible citizen is supposed to do).

So let's see, no court procedure for the bank and five weeks of revenue lost,

Court procedure for me and eight months of revenue lost.

I guess I should have offered free lunch to someone in the Department of Justice,

My mistake...
edit on 16-12-2012 by Heliocentric because: In the coolness of the empty sixth-month sky... the cuckoo’s cry.

You make two excellent points.

Not only do the banks get to "settle" for 5 weeks worth of revenue, but built into that settlement are laws written to protect them from any further prosecution. But hey, for the billions they were forced to settle for to maintain any "illusion" of fair play to the average citizen....was always a "win" for them, got some new laws to allow them to continue criminal practices without anymore "hassles" from those pesky taxpayers....

Now consider what happens if anyone else gets into even minor trouble for laws I personally find unjust in many cases to begin with. You are fined beyond anything reasonable for the offence, 8 mns salary in your case, for a little personal stash, give me a break ! We have armed, aggresive "bill collectors" willing to throw you in jail if you can't afford traffic fines, and hey, if you can't afford it, let's double those fines because your obviously a "deadbeat" to begin with. God forbid that a person break thier "probation" once YOU break the law your at thier mercy and are monitered........and let's not forget 3 strikes and your out.

My above examples apply to non-violent drug offences and traffic fines mostly, it has become a type of extortion pay or go to jail. I actually lived in a city where if you smoked a ciggarette in certain outside public areas the bike cops would fine you $175, really? This happened to someone close to me, and when she couldn't pay it, a warrent was put out for her arrest, which turned into a total nightmare for her.

Excellent OP.....very important topic......

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
opps, dp
edit on 16-12-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

This is outrageous, to say the least. I don't understand, why isn't the media reporting on all of this? What would happen if it was reported on the evening/afternoon news, would people actually do something about it?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
Sometimes this website confuses me. Here's a real conspiracy, with the players so confident in their actions that they get caught out so often, yet it hasn't got thousands of posts. If it was a video of a tiny little flashing light in the sky it would have loads more stars and flags. Wake up people !! here's 100% concrete evidence you're being played by your governements and intelligence services.

If only we could come together in our respective societies, put our personal agenda's of politics, aliens or religion to one side then something might change. The enemy is unregulated banking, political control by corporations and the influencing of our opinions by a corrupted media.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: typo

Reality check, most ufo threads get very very few flags and stars, they post against enormous aggressive team of skeptics that walk all over people, so I consider why bother, just close down the ufology department and declare the whole site ignorant. Because a few can bully forever, they without sightings and experiences have nonstop owned all the ufology department here.

Now, on the other hand this does have a great many flags and stars.

Just wondering why you had to get that little slant in, when that is something that has to be exposed in a major way, and not doing so is resulting in world wide slavery, and holding technology back by decades, or even over a century.

By the way it seems this goes on for the same reason. The same people holding back clean technology and enslaving citizens are behind this level of two tiered justice.

Prison for the very wealthy if it even happens is like a 5 star hotel on an exotic island.

To briefly explain why i added ufos is this: ufo's and many topics are subjective or speculative. The evidence is flaky. Personally i believe in aliens though not sure if they're coming here due to space/ time Einsteinian issues.

Corruption in government, law enforcement and the financial system, though, is real, provable and influences all of our lives on a daily basis. By tackling that we'd get to know all the other secrets, it's the key in my opinion. Not that I'm hopeful that particular lock will ever be opened.

Or i might just be a CIA funded hyperdimensional lizard messin with ya

edit on 16-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: typos

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm glad they let you post this. I recently tried to post about a well known corporation having access to a certain drug since the gov gave them an exemption and couldn't do it. Against t&c's.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIllusiveMan

Media is in on it and doesn't want to disrupt their business by causing a huge social uprising, Very bad for business. Also people are terribly apathetic these days, and more worried about who won x-factor than political or social issues.

It's also education from the media that a problem. Though drugs are obviously bad for society as a whole, so are cigarettes and alcohol but as these are huge revenue generators they're barely ever mentioned as a social problem. The laws and systems in place to attempt to contol the illegal drug markets are more destructive than the drugs themselves. Just as 1920's prohibition of alcohol led to major political and law enforcement corruption, so has the prohibition of drugs.

Why people haven't addressed the issue is complicated, as divided individuals we can't harness any kind of political power to force change on the law makers and politicians. Also there's the political right and religious masses who seem to go along with whatever the government says unless it infringes on their particular social agendas.

We the people, the unwashed masses, don't really seem to have much of a say about anything really, same as it ever was.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: usual typos and spelling - really should have gone to school.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheIllusiveMan

This is outrageous, to say the least. I don't understand, why isn't the media reporting on all of this? What would happen if it was reported on the evening/afternoon news, would people actually do something about it?

I heard it over the radio tagged on at the end of the news segement. THere was no discussion or commentary done on it. I think it is a non news issue since we all know nothing would happen. The only way to turn things around is a full blown revolution where they are physically taken out of power. short of that they will buy out any move against them.
edit on 16-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
am i dreaming is this illusion really our reality, this one bank laundered 800 billion and they get a fine that a fraction of the crime? sometimes i pinch myself, unbelievable...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

It falls into the category of "Not touching with a bargepole" Something 'The Guardian', (the British watchdog newspaper) said over the Leo Wanta scandal.

To the OP, excellent post, It is something that people have been discussing along the same lines here since last week's story on HSBC.
People here also think that much of the 'derivatives' based monetary meltdown was itself a scam, to hide money laundering, so huge were the sums, and that the money 'lost' is still in the 'awaiting to collect' box.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluestorm
am i dreaming is this illusion really our reality, this one bank laundered 800 billion and they get a fine that a fraction of the crime? sometimes i pinch myself, unbelievable...

With all the years manipulating the Libor rate who knows how much they have stolen.

Just goes to show how corrupt governments are around the world.....left or right leaning - they are all in it together. It boggles my mind how people can believe anything they say.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
How can American authorities fine a non US Bank?

More to the point, how can the Federal Reserve, a private bank, receive part of this 'fine' from a non US bank?!

There seems to be a few organisations that will be receiving money from this 'fine'.

The Federal Reserve hide their activities, yet are recipients from non USA bank fine, and said bank, the HSBC are not hiding their activities. Does that give HSBC the right to fine the Federal Reserve for not being transparent?!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
When you have large financial institutions aiding and abetting the international drug traffic and walking through convictions on a revolving door "pay fines at the turnstile" basis, you have a situation in which the government is a de facto partner in the trade.

This is completely clear, but the American people are now so far out of the legislative and law enforcement loop that there is no legal remedy for this situation, as for so many of the situations that have arisen in the US since the last real American president, John F. Kennedy, was murdered.

Poor America. This problem is not going to be solved by the best and the brightest. It is going to take a Yeltsin or a Walensa, far from the best or brightest, but maybe the strongest, with the most guts, coming from off the radar screen, to be the focus for a people's wrath.

God bless and keep the United States of America.

edit on 16-12-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

In my opinion Banks will soon go under when inflation really set in. If the Untied Nations allows America to remain the world currency it might bankrupt the whole system if we continue to go into debt.

90% of the wealth in the planet is owned by the top 3-4% of the population. Banks have flooded so much debt into economies (allowing them to make their fortunes on interest) it did two things;

1.) It becomes increasingly difficult to continue finding customers to meet the demand and expectation we have based on the model of "infinite growth" we currently have in place. (Ever get the Capitol One credit card offers with 25% rates), I mean these people are looking for every last penny they can at this point.

2.) Cant find new costumers to keep the wheels greased? Well that's easy, make up your own customers! How about we do the money laundering for the sellers of drugs and weapons? HSBC there is like a lot of money to make in Colorado and Washington if the Feds clear up a few things : )

edit on 12/16/2012 by thekaliyuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We need drug money laundering in our current banking system or it would simply collapse tomorrow - again.
Lets not forget that without this constant flow of dodgy cash, the system is not liquid.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Best post EVER.

You summed that up perfectly.

I wish I could give you one thousand stars.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
The difference here, and I am not saying it is okay, but if you do criminally prosecute HSBC or fine them tens of billions of dollars, it would financially effect tens of millions of innocent people.

Imagine all the money that would be lost in pension funds and IRA's that have stock in HSBC or other legal business that this may effect. The truth is, these bank are too intertwined in everything, so too big to fail or prosecute is the only option.

That's what they want you to believe, i.e. they can't be properly punished and sanctioned because to punish them will punish and cause pain for innocent people. As long as your attitude persists, these crimes will never be properly sanctioned and deterred.

These mega billion financial institutions are run by people. Those people made the decisions to commit these crimes. These human actors should be punished and jailed whether acting individually or as part of the executive committees that decided to commit these crimes for corporate and personal profit. Both the corporation and the individual corporate criminals should be stripped of all monetary gain acquired from or traceable to their crimes.

The investors who feel the pain that flows from this will have only their criminal corporations, the criminal executives, and the criminal board members to blame. Then perhaps these investors and shareholders will quit looking the other way while enjoying obscene returns on their investments and finally have an incentive to take their business elsewhere and let the criminal corporation die or at least boot the criminal executives and board members out the door. Then they can elect and hire people who have some integrity and social conscience to those important positions in the corporate hierarchy.

Let the punishment fit the crime and land on those who are responsible. Then you'll finally see real change.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Drug cartels and Iranian finances.

Sounds like a profitable business.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

The media is owned by banks. Do you think they'd really want us to know about this? Common sense no?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The war on drugs allow them to seize everything you have, I don't know they can't let you have half of it, since you are going to prison for a while.,

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join