It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Western Tech companies giving china the tools of oppression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Skype, owne by Microsoft, assumes you allow Chinese Authorities to spy on your skype calls.

all your phone calls and text chats can be monitored by the censorship authorities in China. And if you are aware, chances are that you do not consent to such surveillence. Microsoft, however, assumes that you do consent, as expressed in their Privacy Policy: Skype, Skype's local partner, or the operator or company facilitating your communication may provide personal data, communications content and/or traffic data to an appropriate judicial, law enforcement or government authority lawfully requesting such information. Skype will provide reasonable assistance and information to fulfill this request and you hereby consent to such disclosure.

Link: en.greatfire.org...

This of course is not unique or new in any way. but I thought it might be a good topic for discussion:why exactly are tech giants giving China tools of oppression and espionage? without Cisco, China would not have it's great fire wall. without other companies like Skype, the Chinese regime would not be so successful in oppression its own citizens.

personally, I am certain it will back fire in a case of conflict. just thing of the irony - western technology used to damage western targets. It's an upside down Trojan horse.

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnWoodland

This is a very simple thing to answer: Because China pays for it.

Success!

I'm really not trying to troll you, but there is nothing to say beyond that. If China wasn't paying then American companies wouldn't be willing to sell it. Morality means nothing next to the almighty God of the U.S.-Dolla bill ya'll.

new topics

join