Shooters consistently misidentified...The media keeps doing it

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Internet Identifies, Threatens Wrong Man as Newtown Shooter

In the media’s rush to find out information on the suspected Newtown, Connecticut, school shooter, numerous news outlets misidentified a Facebook page belonging to someone with a similar name. Denunciations and even death threats quickly accumulated.

ABC offers apology for misidentifying the shooter as a tea party member

Editor's Note: An earlier ABC News broadcast report suggested that a Jim Holmes of a Colorado Tea Party organization might be the suspect, but that report was incorrect. ABC News and Brian Ross apologize for the mistake, and for disseminating that information before it was properly vetted.

Why doesn't someone get fired over this stuff? Brian Ross apologizes and everything is supposed to be OK for the people whose lives were ruined by being misidentified as mass murderers?

I think it something to do with this statement which is in every single report about a mass shooting. Never fails...

All three law enforcement officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record about the unfolding investigation.

If they aren't authorized to speak, maybe they shouldn't be blabbing incorrect info to the press. Instruct your officers on how to keep their mouths shut!

Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting: Newtown, Connecticut Administrators, Students Among Victims, Reports Say

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think the media should be fined heavily when they release the wrong information. It will slow them down from just spilling the b.s. they tend to. It could bring back the 'real' journalists of old.

Yesterday when I started researching the shooting I couldn't make head or tails of what was really going on. The media just throws information out there and half of it isn't even true. Even before they released the killers name they should have checked and double checked it was actually him and not his brother or anyone else for that matter.
Any Ryan Lanzas of Connecticut deserve to sue the hell out of the media.

Officers usually aren't allowed to speak on the subject so why do the journalist always hound them to do so?

There is no more professionalism in the journalist trade.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Everybody wants to be the first to report something, regardless if it is accurate or not. If they're wrong, they'll fix it later and if by chance they're right, well they beat their competition to the punch.

Fox News was reporting the shooter was Adam and not Ryan for a full 20 freakin' minutes before CNN woke up and realized they were screwing the pooch.

With catchy words like "breaking" and "exclusive" these MSM stations fall over one another to be the first in line. Accuracy takes a back seat to "exclusivity".

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
With catchy words like "breaking" and "exclusive" these MSM stations fall over one another to be the first in line. Accuracy takes a back seat to "exclusivity".

And that my friends is exactly how and why many conspiracies are born.

Somebody will take the original report with all the wrong details and then create a video and upload it to Youtube {Usually very grainy} of their version of events and declare there was a cover up because it was originally claimed by the media that X did or said this, that or the other etc etc etc

Meanwhile it was really a case of lousy journalism, reporting and lack of solid fact finding by those who took a rumor and ran with it....
edit on 15-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I couldn't agree with you more, Slayer. Journalism, true journalism, is a dying art.

I love the new avatar.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
And that my friends is exactly how and why many conspiracies are born.

I agree as well.

I can think of a dozen common ATS topics ( Roswell, 9/11, more recently Aurora) that are rooted in bad reporting by the MSM made in the rush to be the first to print something new on a current event.

When a retraction or correction is published it is brushed off by some as a cover-up who continue to repeat bad information as fact and truth because it serves to reinforce their conspiratorial inclined worldview.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

join