It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Protons Bombarding Earth - Breaking News - 14 December 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thought I would put this puzzling event up for all the scientifically inclined people to peruse and ponder. It is an interesting video. What is means if anything, I have no clue.

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It is my understanding that we are being bombarded all the time with cosmic rays/charged particles/protons.
We are also at the beak of the suns cycle so naturally the numbers would be greater.

I am not sure how to break down the numbers shown in the video but maybe this can help a little.

www.auger.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Wondering if this just confirms that we are moving through a place in space that is highly energized. Not sure of all the right vocabulary to use ect...but there is talk and rumor of such.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Date was wrong

edit on 15-12-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's not just flares that can blast us with protons but coronal holes on the sun can send out protons too. Weird thing is that there doesn't appear to be any significant ones facing earth at the moment. I agree, we are always being constantly bombarded with protons but it is a little unusual none the less.

EDIT: whooops! Actually I was wrong, there is one giant coronal hole facing earth XD sorry! That is probably why but oddly it says its not supposed to reach untill the 17th....

Says here at www.spaceweather.com
edit on 15-12-2012 by nyancat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Power went out for Smith River Ca this morning about 4AM wonder if it is related.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here is some info from space weather now

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

No solar storms reported.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure there are lots of photons in the room with me right now. Their tendency to bombard instead of just float by nicely is disturbing, and gives one a sense of "what's next, scud-missile style electrons?" The fact that you've pinpointed an increase in the bombardment is commendable, and shelters and/or blackout curtains should deflect some of these critters.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Aleister because: spellingedit

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There was a slight increase in proton flux but it did not reach storm levels. It has since subsided.

Here's what a "real event" looks like.

edit on 12/15/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

was it the sun that caused this small rise in protons?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Yeah.
Hard to say what the exact source on the sun was though. There was a minor (C1) flare yesterday.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Pretty quite at the moment.

solarimg.org...
edit on 15-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Are there different types of protons? The definitions I just googled say that protons are part of an atom. So, are we being bombarded by atoms? If just protons, how did they get away from atoms? Do they actually mean pHotons? I'm confused.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The "stuff" we get from the Sun is plasma. Plasma is material (atoms) from which electrons have been stripped by the extreme heat of the Sun. A hydrogen atom consists of a single proton and a single electron so, when turned into plasma it becomes a single proton.

new topics

top topics

join