It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Ideas/Suggestions for protecting yourself from an active shooter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by britelite1971

Exactly, your chance of death by blunt force trauma is significantly higher outside the U.S. I think I'd rather be shot than bludgeoned with a baseball bat any day. Difference for me is that I'll be shooting back.

I so agree with you on that. I'd rather be shot then bludgened to death!....and really rather shot than stabbed to death. However, none of the above would be the best!
Cheers to dying quietly in our sleep of old age! May we all get that lucky!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Thanks! Although, your thread is a little different subject matter, I thought mine relates to this matter in that, if people know what to expect, perhaps they can avoid the situations altogether. I did post it at like 4am so it never picked up a lot of steam, but I think being aware of what's going to come next will hopefully save some lives. It's like chess, you gotta think a few moves ahead of your opponent.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There's really nothing you can do unarmed, other than run like hell or duck and cover, some sadistic freaks will do you execution style, so pretending you are dead wont work. the best thing to do is just be sure you're armed and well versed in the subject of firearm self defense and in the event you are confronted with a situation, don't hesitate and end the violence quickly

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

Originally posted by rickymouse

Women used to wear bullet proof vests years ago, oh, maybe those were corsets. Time to bring them back in style I guess.

Bullet proof long johns for kids.

edit on 15-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Hmmm....now there is a thought!
In all seriousness though, it's sad to think that bullet proof vests for adults and kids might be neccesary. Here's an idea for the aspiring inventor......how about bullet proof hats??!

Too late, tin foil hats have already been invented.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Unless gun control in the USA changes, I think the only solution is to build panic rooms.

Just as planes now have bullet proof cockpit doors, schools have to start implementing a system of automatic locking, with bullet proof glass and doors, with the system only able to be overridden by a key held in the local police station.

Every teacher should have a button under their desk, and the moment that button is pushed all the internal doors in the building are locked. Or, all classes need to be connected with panic rooms between them, two doors into a sealed and bullet proof room from classes either side.

It doesn't solve the problem entirely, and there will always be ways for a perpetrator to cause mass casualties, but clearly something needs to change and schools need to have a physical response to these gunmen.

Of course, the easiest and most sensible thing would be to end gun ownership entirely, remove them from the hands of people who DO NOT NEED THEM, and stop acting like spoiled brats who stamp their feet and demand pudding.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

This is an excellent solution with both sides winning. This should be looked into further. I'm sure this would prevent at least of few of these future incidents from occurring.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Frettin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Just as planes now have bullet proof cockpit doors, schools have to start implementing a system of automatic locking, with bullet proof glass and doors, with the system only able to be overridden by a key held in the local police station.

I really like that idea! If the most recent shootings are a sign of things to come, maybe panic rooms aren't such a far out idea!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Studies show that mass shooters tend to aim for the easier targets, the large crowds of people grouped together, taking cover and not moving. It is shown that those who make themselves difficult targets and try to escape immediately, running for the closest exit and running away till they are safe, are the people who survive. In any case, it is dependent on context and what you can do, but I know, if I was in such a situation, my best instinct would be to run away.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well as others have said best to be armed also its your constitutionally protected natural right! Having said that if you were caught in a situation unarmed best to get next to a door way the shooter might come in but so he cannot see you. if he does he will come in gun first grab the arm holding the gun and him by the throat squeeze and twist as hard as you can. Might want to get some martial arts training on how to take him out..

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I don't own a gun and I sincerely doubt I ever will. However, what I can personally do is to renew my CPR certification and be prepared to render medical aid.

Regarding my own safety, I am hoping that "duck and cover" is deeply ingrained enough that I would actually do it in a panicked state, although my fear is that I would instead go into shock and fail to respond appropriately.

Perhaps we should have workplace safety "mass shooter" practice runs, like we do for fire alarms or tornado drills. Seriously - I think it may have come to that point.

P.S. I think the key point that it does not sound so loud, like it does in the movies, is really important to absorb.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I think running is probably the best course of action.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

20/20 had a great segment on this after the Columbine shootings.

-One idea I'll never forget, is if you're trapped in a bathroom, spread soap and water on the floor so if the shooter enters, he slips and falls and it gives you time to possibly escape while he struggles to get up.

-Don't run away from a shooter in a straight line, zig zag so he has a difficult time to target you.

-Play dead, (kind of difficult considering the stressful circumstances).

-Arm yourself with a fire extinguisher. (Give yourself some time to escape while the shooter is disoriented).

-Most victims don't have plans, plan what if and be prepared.

I'm a high school teacher and every year are school goes through lock down procedures. I have my own procedures for inside my classroom. I have the soap, extinguishers and two storage rooms in the back of my lab with heavy metal doors. I instruct my students at the beginning of every school year the procedures and what we do in case of an intruder. I even tell them about the soap trick if they are ever get trapped in the school bathroom.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

First of all, unless you are armed yourself, there is not a whole lot you can do against an active shooter. Second, anything, and everything around you can be used as a weapon. I guess if you are feeling like Rambo in the midst of all the panic, confusion, shooting, and screaming you could try and either flank the shooter or try and get behind him or her, and go for a disarm technique I guess. The key is to get close without getting yourself shot, and without the shooter noticing you. Ideally, you should try and wait for the shooter to reload before trying to engage them. (good luck with that you might get lucky)
But for me thank you very much I prefer to take cover, and return fire.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Yeah,so you can hit as many innocent peeps as the clown who started the chaos!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
A while ago, I took a training about this subject. (A training I wasn't supposed to take, since I'm a LEO)

From what I can recall, when a civilian, or unarmed person, find himself in a situation like this, 99 percent of the time the person should hide, run away and when safe to do so, call for help and try to describe the shooter(s); what they look like, what they're wearing, location, how many, and how many weapons and type of weapons.

You should try to save yourself first, because engaging the shooter, when you are unarmed and without proper training, will get you killed. Following the instructions above will give you a better chance to survive and save others by calling for help. Always make your move when it's safe to do so. Always try to memorize your surroundings and exit points.

This is very, very important. If you find yourself in a situation like this and a person(s) with a gun is engaging the shooters, when calling for help describe the person(s) helping to avoid friendly fire.

I started carrying my guns everywhere I go because it seems that nowadays nowhere is safe.
Do I think that all guns should be banned? Absolutely not!! What's the ratio of bad guys to good guys? The bad guys will always find a way to get their hands on guns. Like the OP noticed, if more good guys had guns, the casualties could be a lot less.

I hope that I will never have to take someone's life on and/or off duty, but I'm fully prepared, mentally and physically, to do so if the situation requires it.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
These shootings seem to happen in gun free zones like schools and shopping centres.

Anyway, I’d probably wait around a corner and as he walked past, you’d hear foot steps, I’d then just launch out and punch him in the temple or chin area as hard as I could. A good punch to the right spot would either knock him out cold or daze him. A solid hit to the ear would disorientate him. After the hit act very quickly to make sure he’s put to sleep - smack his head against a wall, kick/knee him in the face, pin him to the ground and hit till he’s out. It wouldn’t be too difficult provided you had the surprise and the balls to accept that you’re probably going to die or be seriously wounded and a pretty good fitness/strength base. I guess everyone is different - ‘fight or flight’. Flight usually live to tell the tale though, but where’s the fun in that?
edit on 16-12-2012 by BlindBastards because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Well as others have said best to be armed also its your constitutionally protected natural right!

Argh! It's not a "natural right"!

A natural right is access to land, water and oxygen. You can defend yourself against others in a comparable scenario - if guns are less available your criminals have fewer of them too.

If one thing has been made perfectly clear by all of this debate and discussion it's that the education standards in the USA are worse than anyone thought!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Live shots are actually pretty loud. Impacts might sound like a bat hitting a wall, but a shot being fired, no way.
Obviously, distance plays a huge part in this, but I thought that was a very strange thing to put into the article.

"Live gunshots are not as loud as you are used to hearing in a movie theater. They may sound like popping noises, a baseball bat hitting a wall, or firecrackers."

That is just not true at all, pretty ignorant of them to say. Especially when talking about an active shooter. Shots heard across town sounding like firecrackers, maybe. Shots in some type of building? The same one you are in? Ouch to your ears.

While I do agree with you completely about our education, I know that prohibition does not work(as intended).
Also, while it is not a natural right, it is a very large part of our culture. Hunting and sport shooting have some very deep roots here(hunting, obviously, does just about everywhere, and yes, I know you dont need a firearm) and maybe it has something to do with the old homesteader mentality or something, but, the thought of being able to defend yourself comforts many people.
Reform of laws, yeah, we might need that.

My suggestion for an unarmed person that isnt able to get out of the shooters line of sight fast enough and is in some public space with lots of people would be to play dead after the first shot. I cant imagine they are being very focused and calculating, they might just sweep over you.
Otherwise, get the hell around a corner and out of dodge.
edit on 16-12-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Obviously falling behind the previous suggestions of shoot back and run away, be aware of what materials are at hand. Chemical sprays like lysol, or glass cleaner, or anything that can be sprayed at a distance would work kind of like pepper spray and disorient the shooter. Heavy items like books can be thrown to try and disarm him. Long poled items like brooms or mops may help to take someone out from behind, or knocking his knees from under him. I only suggest these ideas as a final resort.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Take self defense classes or sign up for a karate style at the local dojo. My daughter has been in karate for 5 years. The style is Isshinryu Karate, which is designed for quicker up close contact and disablement of an armed perp.

I like the idea of carrying around blood packets and playing dead. I think about that every Halloween season...but running away fast if you can in a zig zag motion is better.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join