It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Ideas/Suggestions for protecting yourself from an active shooter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
Another good idea would be to throw something at them before your charge. A bottle would do nice but anything hurling at your face would cause a distraction.

Once you have hands on the piece of garbage be aware of the gun and attempt to control that. Hands on and don't let go

edit on 15-12-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

If people could actually manage to band together, it would be even more effective. One of them may get shot, bur how many people will get shot if noone takes out the gunman?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by britelite1971

Interesting topic. S&F! It's time for people to start thinking proactively, it might mean your survival. It might just save your life. I totally changed the way I think a couple years ago when I started carrying-concealed. I don't go anywhere without my pistol anymore. When I first purchased my pistol I swore I would never carry it concealed and that it was for home defense. But then what good was it locked up in my safe? If I'm somewhere I can't carry my pistol I will always have a knife on me. My last job I made sure I always carried a pen on me. The point was never be defenseless. I drink a lot less when I'm out in public. I don't ever use walk up ATMs anymore. You need to be thinking about Situational Awareness at all times. Take nothing for granted. We have had shootings at the mall, the theater, pop Warner games, etc. All bets are off. I don't want to end up a statistic. I was out with a friend late one night and was approached by a man with a knife...I was able to confidently defend myself and get us home safe. As a veteran I already made the decision that I can take a life if the need arises.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Fight back, do everything you can to stop the shooter.

Hey, if you're in a situation where you're going to likely be shot anyway, why give your life so easily?

I can't find the story, but I remember hearing about an attempted mass-shooting where someone did that, and was able to stop the shooter with a fire extinguisher blast, then a blow to the back with the fire extinguisher.

Too bad in these situations more people can't be like that.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Don't live in America and the chance of being shot is reduced by about 99.999%

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Don't live in America and the chance of being shot is reduced by about 99.999%

Do you live somewhere else where guns are banned? If so, how has that affected your crime rate? Just curious because in Chicago where guns are banned, they have one of the highest murder rates in the US. At least for us, that doesn't seem to be working. The bad guys still get the guns.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername
Fight back, do everything you can to stop the shooter.

Hey, if you're in a situation where you're going to likely be shot anyway, why give your life so easily?

I can't find the story, but I remember hearing about an attempted mass-shooting where someone did that, and was able to stop the shooter with a fire extinguisher blast, then a blow to the back with the fire extinguisher.

Too bad in these situations more people can't be like that.

I completely agree! If I was ever in a situation like that, I would want to be in it with someone who had a mindset like yours. What do you think the odds would be of getting others to work together with you to try to take out a gunman?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Exactly, your chance of death by blunt force trauma is significantly higher outside the U.S. I think I'd rather be shot than bludgeoned with a baseball bat any day. Difference for me is that I'll be shooting back.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If you can sneak up on someone or wait for an attacker to approach and jump him without him spotting you first, you might stand a good chance of tackling him and saving lives if he is going on a shooting rampage. If you don't think that is possible, running or hiding is the next best thing.

I do believe most people are not totally insane if they do go off their rocker. If you wanted to kill the most people, I believe any large public place where they had a law banning all concealed weapons would work, not Fort Knox or some heavily armed Texas school. If someone wanted to get in a shoot out, calling the police is easy. They will shoot at you if you shoot at them. Going up against a bunch of unarmed people is like shooting ducks in a barrel especially if they have a law restricting weapons.

The alternatives to arming trained people include removing all forms of weapons from everyone in society and prevent anyone from making an explosive device. This won't happen without a civil war. Another alternative is screening everyone in the country for clues to insanity on a regular basis and locking them up if they appear like they may go off their rocker, not likely either.
edit on 15/12/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I do believe most people are not totally insane if they do go off their rocker. If you wanted to kill the most people, I would attack a school or public place where they had a law banning all concealed weapons, not Fort Knox or some heavily armed Texas school. If someone wanted to get in a shoot out, calling the police is easy. They will shoot at you if you shoot at them. Going up against a bunch of unarmed people is like shooting ducks in a barrel especially if they have a law restricting weapons.
reply to post by orionthehunter

You have a good point on that. Most people that lose it still seem to be able to think to do things like purchasing tactical gear etc. And you are also right about it being like shooting ducks in a barrell. That seems to be what is going on with these mass shootings lately. Yesterday I think like everyone else i was just completely shocked and sickened that someone could do that, and today I' starting to get really ticked off. I think it's about time for the American people to start fighting back!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
Always carry fake blood packets.
When the shooting starts, and if you are not armed (you should be) and therefore cannot subdue the shooter, then smash the fake blood pack against your face and hit the floor and play dead.

I use ketchup packets from Wendy's. It is very important that you get them only from Wendy's and not that crap from McDonald's. Whatever you do, do not use mayonnaise or the shooter may think you enjoyed the shooting a bit too much.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

If the shooter is former military or has any advanced training then you should be expecting, and anticipating, a double-tap, most likely to the head.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is a useful thread, nice . I would say for starters be in the best physical shape you can be. If you´re overweight or weak you won´t be able to hide properly, fight, run or whatever. Second, carry a knife on your body in a way you can just pop it out. Regularly train yourself how to throw your knife in a efficient manner, meaning being able to hurt the perp from a distance. That way you can stop a shooter even if you´re hiding under a desk. Third, carry a gun if allowed.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by KaiserSoze

If the shooter is former military or has any advanced training then you should be expecting, and anticipating, a double-tap, most likely to the head.

I was going to mention the double-tap, it's not just for zombies.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I started this thread last night in hopes that we will be able to predict the scenario for the next big shooting and help people know what to look out for. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Women used to wear bullet proof vests years ago, oh, maybe those were corsets. Time to bring them back in style I guess.

Bullet proof long johns for kids.

edit on 15-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
Always carry fake blood packets.
When the shooting starts, and if you are not armed (you should be) and therefore cannot subdue the shooter, then smash the fake blood pack against your face and hit the floor and play dead.

I use ketchup packets from Wendy's. It is very important that you get them only from Wendy's and not that crap from McDonald's. Whatever you do, do not use mayonnaise or the shooter may think you enjoyed the shooting a bit too much.

I like this idea! Cheap and easy to stick in a purse or your pocket!
Yeah...I can see where mayo might be a bad idea.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

That's a good thing to know, and something that many of us (including me) did not know. Also, if the shooter wasn't ever military but was the kind of person interested in the soldier of fortune sort of stuff, they might also do that.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

The knife thing is a good idea for those of us who don't carry guns. Any suggestion as to actually throw a knife effectively?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frettin
I started this thread last night in hopes that we will be able to predict the scenario for the next big shooting and help people know what to look out for. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your thread was so right, gun proponents will eventually win! I do believe that, and think it is a valid concern for law abiding citizens who are just looking to defend themselves. I didn't see your thread as I wasn't on last night, so sorry about that. I did do a search and it's tough because the search is kind of based on how a thread was worded, so if the subject is within the contents of the thread and not the title, it doesn't show on the search. I guess great minds think alike!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Women used to wear bullet proof vests years ago, oh, maybe those were corsets. Time to bring them back in style I guess.

Bullet proof long johns for kids.

edit on 15-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Hmmm....now there is a thought!
In all seriousness though, it's sad to think that bullet proof vests for adults and kids might be neccesary. Here's an idea for the aspiring inventor......how about bullet proof hats??!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join