It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Year Old Boys Make Ancient Find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This story reminds me of a find my best friend and I made back in the late 60's. We found this big rock with fossils all over it, and thought it was so awesome. But not quite as awesome as what these young men found...

It’s nearly every young, adventurous boy’s dream to stumble upon prehistoric artifacts while playing in their backyard.

For an 11-year-old Shelby Township boy, Eric Stamatin and his cousin Andrew Gainariu, 11, that dream came true this summer. On a warm June day, the boys were hoping to find crayfish while exploring a stream about a quarter of a mile from Stamatin's house on 24 Mile and Dequindre roads. Instead, they stubmled upon an American Mastodon bone.

“At first it just looked like a rock but it had a hole in it so we thought maybe it was a bone,” said Stamatin.

Now that's awesome.

You can read the rest of the story here

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
That is very cool. I love to hike and dig around and can just imagine how excited they are! That reminds me, I really need to buy that metal detector...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yay!

On a warm June day, the boys were hoping to find crayfish while exploring a stream about a quarter of a mile from Stamatin's house on 24 Mile and Dequindre roads. Instead, they stubmled upon an American Mastodon bone.

Good for them, we may have a few new, real life Indiana Jones on our hands here folks

Imagine the Joy this must bring these two lads, finding a woolly mammoth fossil..

Cool

SS
edit on 123131p://pm3135 by Spike Spiegle because: can't spell

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how old you are, finding something like that would make anyone as giddy as a school girl.

Nice find.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thank you for sharing an uplifting story for once...a nice article to read among all the gloom and doom posts lately. Perhaps those boys will develop an interest in science and continue to make more discoveries like this.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by artnut
That is very cool. I love to hike and dig around and can just imagine how excited they are! That reminds me, I really need to buy that metal detector...

I need to dig mine out, and blow the dust off it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What a find I bet they are buzzing!
I used to love fossil hunting as a kid,but trilobites and worm like critters were my best finds-no huge bones like that one.

The article says they took an archeological team back to the location but found nothing-The lads should go back and explore up to a kilometer upstream,and downstream if they can I rek the would find other parts for sure over time.

Top stuff !

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by artnut

dont think you will be finding many bones with your metal detector friend
lol

new topics

top topics

join