can anyone please help

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm worried for a cousin of mine in Los Angeles, California that is addicted to crystal meth he is probably 23-24 male. He is slowly dying

He has already gone to a rehabilitation center but got back on the drug again a while after.

Please, anyone know anything that would help I'd greatly appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
I'm worried for a cousin of mine in Los Angeles, California that is addicted to crystal meth he is probably 23-24 male. He is slowly dying

He has already gone to a rehabilitation center but got back on the drug again a while after.

Please, anyone know anything that would help I'd greatly appreciate it.

That is tough. Sadly, no one can change unless they truly want to.

I think the best thing is to be there for your cousin. Talk to him whenever you can. Let him know you love him and are there for him. Get him to talk...what's the real problem? It's not the drugs. It's the reason he feels he needs to turn to drugs. Depression? Anger? Fear? Abandonment? Loneliness?

I believe Love is the best solution.

You could also look into some programs that get your cousin out in to nature.
I think so much of peoples anxiety and depressions are based on the fact they do not get into nature enough. We get trapped in cities. We are surrounded by other people and we pick up on their anxieties and their emotions. We must reconnect with Mother Earth. We must learn to be grateful for all that the Earth provides for us.
Once we re-member this connection, I feel that it is easier to drop away self-centered, destructive habits.

God bless and good luck.
Your cousin needs you.
edit on 15-12-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Man that sounds like a tough one because as you may know, people will not quit until they want to. Often they have to hit rock bottom and realize they want to pull themselves up out of the pool of misery and destruction. Interventions sometimes work, confronting them in a setting with their loved ones, but at the same time this course of action can worsen things and create further animosity and withdrawal.

Sometimes just being available for them if they seek solace. I see your signature from Bruce Lee, and one thing that comes to mind is encouraging this person to enroll in martial arts. If this person has any heros or figures he looks up to, maybe try and tie that persons life/actions to your cousin's aspirations. Maybe taking his hands, looking him in the eyes and telling him you love him and it is time to grow through this destruction. Surely he has seen the pictures of the end affect of meth on the body. If not, show him.

These are the only suggestions I can think of and realize that again, a person won't quit until they want to, and so all you can do is provide support(without enabling) and let them know you are there for him.

Best wishes and peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

hi there.
im sorry for you and your friend.
as one who has meddled with drugs, and as one who have lost a couple of friends to drugs. some dead and some still struggeling to get their daily fix.

the thing thet worked for me was a supporting wife expecting my first child.
from experience i would say that friends that condem you for doing drugs makes your selfesteem and angsiety worse and drive you deeper down in the abuse.
friends who se past the abuse and just are there when needed, and who never thinks less of you for doing drugs are a ladder up from the drugswamp.
not much i know, but if i had a givven soloution i would be rich.
jimmy

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm sorry...I'm not sure what exactly what to say...so I'll tell you a story of my experience.

Meth, in my opinion, is the most destructive recreational drug available to mankind. Some people get consumed...short of forced rehabilitation I'm not sure what you could do to make him realize what is going on. Just make sure you don't ever enable him.

My friend had to literally loose everything before he realized the direction his life was headed.
He ended up joining the military...but that's a whole other story & unfortunately it's not a very happy one.

Approaching the problem directly was my method...My actions were calculated to maximize effect based on what was happening already in his life.

Here's the story - just know that I'm a very tolerant individual & my actions where a long time coming & were motivated out of desperation to make him realize what was going on, not spite:

This long time friend (about 6 years at that point) was a roommate at the time.
He'd been using for a few months (that I knew about) @ this time & things kept disappearing out of the apartment (we had practically nothing of value @ this point except an old TV).

This particular week had been a very bad week for him already.

He was fired at his job for falling asleep in a stairwell with a pipe (he was caught by the security guard)
His car (which I had given him...honestly it was a junker but had a nice stereo system) got broken into by some of his addict friends who stole the stereo system. Instead of unclipping it, the idiots cut the harness behind the clip & caused the battery to die in an alley the next time he shut it off...so he left it for the night.
The car was impounded the next day when the business it was parked behind called a wrecker.

He couldn't afford to fix it so now he had no car.
During this period of time he also managed to loose his dog & girlfriend (sounds like a bad country song, but it's true - she left him because of what was happening to him & someone stole his blue heeler mix when he left him in the car @ a flop house).

When he came back the next day (after walking 2 miles & sleeping at the flop house for the night) I kicked him out forceably (it was only my name on the lease & he was already 2 months behind at this point anyway)

So...basically I put him on the street (he ended up sleeping on the roof that night)

It may seem cruel but many things had been tried by this point, including direct confrontation & a couple fist fights & screaming matches already.

It was risky but it actually worked...it only took him a few days to realize what was happening to his life...
A week later he was headed back to his parents house & swearing he would never touch meth again...as far as I know he never did (although drinking & cigarettes were still a problem...but I'm not completely innocent when it comes to that either so live & let live on that one)

It all happened in such a short amount of time that I think it forced an epiphany on him...drastic measures.

Don't know if that helps at all...just a story of one individuals experience & recovery.

Each case is different. Just know that a direct confrontation will most likely be nasty as meth addicts don't reason well.

It's a terrible drug - I'm sorry for your cousin & hope he realizes what he is doing to himself.
edit on 15-12-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thank you all I really appreciate the feedback.

He has had a tough life his parents divorced, one of his sisters passed away and the youngest one ran off with some thug baby daddy at an early age.

He is still working but blows all the money on meth and rent.
He barely eats and all my family over there has pretty much given up on him which is pretty #ed up.

top topics

join