It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives go after the metally ill.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I have noticed some conservative media outlets going hard after the mentally ill in the wake of the recent tragic shooting. I understand they must have a counter narrative but its a bit weak to start demonizing the mentally ill.

Most mentally ill people never commit a crime. Many of us work with them and are not aware. Many are our friends. Many are our parents or our children

To demonize the mentally ill is a dangerous thing to do. And where will it end? Are people with ADHD included? Aspergers? Autism? Bi-Polar? Depression? This covers a large chunk of the population.

Before everyone jumps on the Bill O'Rielly/Fox News hate a metal person bandwagon, you should think how silly it is. Especially with so many children these days being diagnosed with autism and attention disorders.

This whole blame evil mental people junk is crazy. It seems some studies find that having schizophrenia does increase the chances of people commiting violent crime but only slightly.

My best friends fiancee is schizophrenic. She is nice. The percentasge of the popultation that has schizophrenia is very low, I read under 2%

I really dont know what conservatives problem is with the metally ill. What do conservatives want to do? Where are they going with this? I think it will backfire if they keep it up.
edit on 15-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: cant spell

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The same can be said for those who jump on the bandwagon about gun control. The fact is that most of if not all of these crimes as of late have been committed by people with mental defects of one sort or another. There is no easy solution to this type of situation, and the fact is anyone claiming that there is one is lying through their teeth.

I am not against people with mental issues because it is beyond their control. I do not hold anything against someone who does not have the capacity to change something that is ingrained in them from birth. I do however think that if it is known that someone has a violent mental disorder that they should be very closely monitored.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

There's more than one reason this is happening, but one of the main ones is distraction. When the world is going to hell TPTB know that we can be distracted, misdirected and placated by having a villain to vent our anger at.

It's all part of the modern incarnation of "Bread and Circus". They try to make us fight amongst ourselves so we have no time or energy to notice what they are doing.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Conservatives go after the metally ill

in their case ...

'it takes one to know one'!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I would just like to point out that millions and millions of mentally ill people manage to go their entire lives without killing a single person .
edit on 15-12-2012 by thudpuddy because: oops

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner
I have noticed some conservative media outlets going hard after the mentally ill in the wake of the recent tragic shooting. I understand they must have a counter narrative but its a bit weak to start demonizing the mentally ill.

Most mentally ill people never commit a crime. Many of us work with them and are not aware. Many are our friends. Many are our parents or our children

To demonize the mentally ill is a dangerous thing to do. And where will it end? Are people with ADHD included? Aspergers? Autism? Bi-Polar? Depression? This covers a large chunk of the population.

Before everyone jumps on the Bill O'Rielly/Fox News hate a metal person bandwagon, you should think how silly it is. Especially with so many children these days being diagnosed with autism and attention disorders.

This whole blame evil mental people junk is crazy. It seems some studies find that having schizophrenia does increase the chances of people commiting violent crime but only slightly.

My best friends fiancee is schizophrenic. She is nice. The percentasge of the popultation that has schizophrenia is very low, I read under 2%

I really dont know what conservatives problem is with the metally ill. What do conservatives want to do? Where are they going with this? I think it will backfire if they keep it up.
edit on 15-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: cant spell

Maybe they are discussing it because every person that commits these massacre's seem to suffer from some sort of mental disorder???

I mean REALLY OP? You wan't us to be politcally correct? like if the kid was black, heaven FORBID the news said Black child shoots up school.

Stick your head back in the sand dude.

top topics

join