It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to ban the mentally ill

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Checked your profile and discovered this artist:
www.youtube.com...

Don't mean to divert this thread, but this guy is wonderful.

Carry on...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I'm sorry...but I am considered "mentally ill" AND I abuse substances...but have not committed any violent crimes....except against myself......

ok...so I slapped my husband when he came home drunk at 4am and didn't call all night...guess I should be shot in the back of the head in a ditch, huh?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Maybe it would be more accurate to ban meds. Almost every shooter has been on psych meds since Columbine....or suffering withdrawal symptoms. Since the DMV has classified every human emotion as a medical problem treatable by prescription meds.....no one can have guns and must be medicated. LOL. Welcome to 1984. You're a bit out of the park on this post, OP. I think you have a mental illness and that you should be medicated immediately. Sodium Fluoride and Thorazine...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

And here I come to announce the gigantic pink elephant in the room that nobody knows about or is talking about: psychiatric drugs and side effects and/or adverse reactions.

The scientific literature is replete with case after case examples of adverse reactions to psychiatric medication that causes suicidal and homicidal behavior. Have you ever seen a commercial for anti-depressants? Pay very close attention to the end of the advertisement when it lists the side effects - in every case they mention suicidal or homicidal behavior.

They were forced to include these warnings shortly after the gag order was issued on the infamous Columbine Shooting case - a lawsuit filed against Salvoy Pharmaceuticals (makers of the drug Zoloft which Eric Harris had complained to his psychiatrist about for having made him experience homicidal thoughts). Why haven't you heard about this? As I just said, there was a gag order issued - which means all of the information about this case is sealed from the public, and even the lawyers cannot talk much about it. How do I know about it? The lawyer who represented Mark Taylor, one of the students shot by Eric Harris, knew about his issues with the medicine and saw all of the "basement tapes" which revealed how Harris was talking about his homicidal thoughts related to the medications he was just recently put on. DeCamp wrote about aspects of this lawsuit in his 2006 update to "The Franklin Cover-Up" - which is available online if you Google it.

An expert on Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, Dr. Ann Blake Tracy, was involved with this lawsuit - as well as several other high-profile cases involving anti-depressants and homicide (names the Phil Hartman murder/suicide case, the Andrea Yeates murders etc). Dr. Tracy reveals on her website www.ssristories.com... just how many school shootings, suicides and murders have been related specifically to either withdrawals from psych meds, or from side effects. This is not merely speculation, but demonstrable, empirical fact that the drugs are behind these attrocities. So instead of banning the mentally ill, how about we ban psychiatry and Big Pharma and bad science?

Amen!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Of course, they believe someone or something is after them, talking them into things, so on.

I knew a guy who owned a red pontiac firebird, souped up, and he was schizo and would run from helicopters that weren't there. He was an insane driver, but I had to get to work some how some way....

The real question is how? How did the mentally ill get a hold of a gun? They obviously have some kind of mental capacity to understand to shoot up gun free zones...? What is telling them to make that decision? Those "voices" seem pretty clever to me...

Leaving your weapons, loaded, unlocked, and easy to get to by children is a felony is most, if not ALL, states. The same should be leaving it easily accessible to mental handicapped/disabled people who might harm themselves or others. Whomever they got the guns from should be held accountable for!

Time to take some responsibility America. You made your bed, time to lie in it. That's what a true American does. Or was I led on....?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins

I think the world would be a much safer place if we banned psychopathy.
We'd be free of the NWO and the elites in no time.

As a brit i'm probably in a minority but the more guns in the hands of the public the better.
We cant uninvent them so we must use them to prevent and stop crime.

I wonder how many lives would have been saved if all the teachers and
staff had been openly carrying.

Wow...I mean how do you get so wrong? How do you not get any of it right?

The problem with the mentally ill, is a health care issue. Just goes to show that mental health care, medication and treatment is both vital for our safety and well being and lacking so desperately that crazy people are wandering the streets instead of getting completely well and the care they require. People knew there was something wrong with this kid but no one did anything. What can we do? When we closed insane asylums that was great but the solution is not to let sick people wander the streets and be a health hazard to everyone else. I know some people who imagine building more jails is the answer - it isn't, neither is banning psychotherapy.

If a teacher has a gun in class it will have to be on their person and then the shooter would know to take the teacher out first. If the gun is in a secondary location, as it may need to be, the teacher won't have time to go for it before getting shot. And any gun a teacher brings to school has the possibility of falling into the wrong hands or being stolen.

Also do you remember the incident recently where trained officers ended up killing more innocent bystanders just trying to take out the shooter in a populated area. Weaponizing people who aren't good at it is certainly a bad idea.

There are people who are good with guns, maybe this kid was one of them, sadly but he failed the mental health test. People who are good with guns, enjoy their guns and feel comfortable around them should have them but guns certainly should absolutely not be encouraged or required accoutrement for everyone. Gun ownership should not be thrust on people who are irresponsible and immature... which is half the people out there. That's just crazy talk.
edit on 16-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by corsair00

Good post. You are absolutely right. I forgot about that but it is a key factor in many of these incidents and I'll bet it is more likely and more verifiable a cause than violent video games or violent images. I've never seen so many kids killing their parents as in recent times. I have to believe it must be the anti-depression, anti-anxiety drugs or medications the kids are taking. You can see the dazed drugged look in their eyes. Side effects include....Thoughts of suicide. They probably just can't say "thoughts of suicide and murder-suicide may occur" and still market the drug. I know many of these meds are extremely dangerous to stop suddenly.

edit on 16-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RainbeauBleu

Maybe it would be more accurate to ban meds. Almost every shooter has been on psych meds since Columbine....or suffering withdrawal symptoms. Since the DMV has classified every human emotion as a medical problem treatable by prescription meds.....no one can have guns and must be medicated. LOL. Welcome to 1984. You're a bit out of the park on this post, OP. I think you have a mental illness and that you should be medicated immediately. Sodium Fluoride and Thorazine...

Medicines actually help a lot of mentally ill people to cope... Didn't think medicines for mental problems were the answer before I saw the medicines in action, they really work well. Although I think you are saying that medicines shouldn't be banned.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yes, let's start with schizophrenia. Put them all in one place. Are we safe yet?

Then let's continue, all returned vets can have problems, lock them up as well. Just to be safe.

Oh, and lock up all those people that see conspiracies left right and center. That would be all of us!

Eventually you will have a time when the Democrats have control of both POTUS and Congress. What do they do, declare Republicans must (well obviously) have a mental health problem, so lock them up as well.

Now, all these locked up free people need a work program, so we find work for them. I am sure that the private sector can find work for them. Of course we don't need to pay them much because all their needs are met.

See you all in the nut house! I think I'll go and have a talk to the fairies.

P

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The speech was much better in its origional german form.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
More often than not the perpetrator of acts of violence is sick in the head.

The knife attacks in China yesterday were committed by a schizophrenic. The shooter in CT yesterday was allegedly schizophrenic and on meds as were the Aurora theater, Loughner, Cho, and virtually all the others.

The streets are littered with schizophrenics and the mentally ill who self medicate and commit scores of petty crimes every minute of everyday and occasionally murder each other and innocent bystanders out of fits of rage or during robbery attempts.

It's irrational to focus so much attention on the skewed peaks and spikes such as yesterdays event in CT if the goal is to make the world an all around safer place. It's also irrational to place blame on an inanimate object such as a knife, car or a gun.

But here we have a common denominator for a huge percentage of crime across the board and they are much easier to keep tabs on than say hundreds of millions of inanimate objects. They're are fewer mental patients than there are guns. They often end up in the system simply by virtue of their illness. Occasionally they even come forward seeking professional help.

The way I figure it if people are truly serious about making the world a safer place they should be focusing on their efforts on not just the most common perpetrator but also a variable that is relatively easier to track, regulate and control than any other.

So why do we waste so much time and money chasing phantoms that we cant really do anything about instead of working with something we can actually do something about?

They tried your theory back in the late 70's that's why Mayor McCheese got locked up and Ronald Mcdonald had to go on his own....

Come on man get a grip your idea has too many flaws, first off there's to many cases where they misdiagnosed some one and like one poster said what is considered crazy now might be sane 10 years from now so your plan is just flawed from the start...

Let's be honest i could easily say you were mentally ill for even thinking such a thing then you would be locked up excuse me put into a home, there is such a thing called FREEDOM or did you forget that making this post...
edit on 16-12-2012 by King Seesar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Statistics show that most robberies are committed by people who don't have much money.

Hey guys, I have an idea. Lets get rid of poor people!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This is probably the most offensive thread I have seen on ATS in many a year. Ban the mentally ill? Are you having a laugh or what?

Hitler in WW2 killed all those with mental illness in the gas chambers or excecuted some other way. Are you adovcating neo Nazi Eugenics? UGGGGH! Have we as a Human Race learnt anything at all? I think not.

I have been depressed in the past for which I have been treated. And yet I am a fully functional member of mainstream society, holding down a full time job and coping with other disabilities. There are many famous people who had mental health issues and disabilities who have functioned perfectly fine and have not harmed a soul. Do you advocate banning the likes of me and others? Ha!

Here is another point. War is another form of mental illness albiet on a larger scale. Anyone who advocates and uses nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction should surely be classed as mentally ill. Thats all our world leaders. Do you ban them too?

Just how many people do you want to ban? Maybe this is why First Contact has not yet been established. Maybe the whole human race is banned from the Cosmos because we are all mentally ill.

Are you happy now?

The answer is NOT in banning even one mentally ill person from mainstream society. The answer is in humane compassionate treatment. Sheltered accomodation if need be with lots of support. Banning acheives nothing. And as to aslyumns, well the potential for abuse is huge. Pray you never find yourself in one.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

"Hey, that guy is #ting in the corner, I SHOULD ALSO BE ALLOWED TO # IN THE CORNER BECAUSE I ALSO ENJOY #TING IN CORNERS."

As for your analogy to gun control, guns are as you said, inanimate objects. Mentally ill people are people. See the difference?

If you see a misinformed debate taking place, join it and bring information to the table. Educate people. That is your responsibility as a human being.

What you shouldn't do is make a troll thread expressing a controversial opinion, string people along and then say "LOL GUYS SEE IT WAS A RIDICULOUSLY TENUOUS ANALOGY THAT ONLY MAKES SENSE IN MY HEAD BTW JOKE'S ON YOU I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE STUPID."

More likely he suffers multiple personality disorder (IMO).

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

What can we do? When we closed insane asylums that was great but the solution is not to let sick people wander the streets and be a health hazard to everyone else. I know some people who imagine building more jails is the answer - it isn't, neither is banning psychotherapy.

I know your heart's in the right place but I believe you have made an error here. The poster you were responding to did NOT say that psychotherapy should be banned. What he said was;

I think the world would be a much safer place if we banned psychopathy.

Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/[1][2] is a personality disorder that has been variously characterized by shallow emotions (including reduced fear, a lack of empathy, and stress tolerance), coldheartedness, egocentricity, superficial charm, manipulativeness, irresponsibility, impulsivity, criminality, antisocial behavior, a lack of remorse, and a parasitic lifestyle. However, there is no consensus about the symptom criteria and there are ongoing debates regarding issues such as essential features, causes, and the possibility of treatment.[3]

The poster then levelled that diagnosis (psychopathy) at our world leaders - and I believe they may have a point.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Ive just laughed so much, good grief, when the World seems like its nothing more than a seething cauldron of sh*t, you only need to pop on here and it cheers you up no end.
May I make a suggestion?
Governments need to set up psycological tests for every man, woman and child. These tests will determine whether, apart from those already known, there are other nut jobs out there.
Once the population has been tested, ALL mentally ill people shall be removed from society.
The Government can then arm every sane adult with a gun and set up target practice zones which will allow all gun holders to go to designated zones such as Forests etc, and practice by shooting dead as many of the Mentally ill as possible
This will have the benefit of removing all those with a mental disability from society as well as making every sane adult a wizz with a gun.
Obviously there will come a point when there are no more mentally ill adults to practice on so, to this end, id recommend reopening asylums to put children suspected of being mentally ill, into. Once they reach adulthood they too could be used to hone the skills of gun carriers.
Ive not mentioned the possible use of gypsies, immigrants and the disabled because i think we need to draw a line somewhere, I mean, we aint no Nazis, are we.

edit on 16-12-2012 by LFN69 because: .

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Don't put the blame on people with Mental Health issues please.... you don't know what you are chatting about.

The MEdia always seem to give 'Schizophrenics' a bad name by blaming them for things that happen.... always!!

This is not true in most cases!!

You will find most 'Schizophrenics' are harmless unless provoked!! Just like anyone who isn't 'Schizophrenic'... they also get angry when provoked!!

You are a Jerkoff and should be banned from Society for owning a gun.... this would stop all these Massacre's from happening..... everyone who owns a gun should be locked up!!!

how about we ban you from ATS!
edit on 16-12-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
And yet you seek to Kill or Assasinate the mentally ill in the lesser form with a "Ban".... So does that mean we start with you

A pointless idea as every living being on this planet has some kind of "ilk or way" that is construde as strange or "Mentally Ill" by the observer. e.g Doctor vs. Shaman/Herbalist..... Both think the other to be strange and hokey or as you coin in your thread "Mentally Ill", athough it be not so lethal as the argument plays out.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Maybe we should have more discussion on the use / misuse of anti-psychotic drugs!

www.cchrint.org...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
To bad we didn't lock these guys away....right?

Famous People and Mental Illnesses

Isaac Newton ...several nervous breakdowns
Ludwig van Beethoven ...bipolar disorder
Abraham Lincoln ...on occasion suicidal depressions
Vincent Van Gogh ...unstable moods, depressive states, suicide at age 37
Winston Churchill ...severe and serious depression
Virginia Woolf ...mood swings of bipolar disorder her entire life
Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison, prof. of psychiatry, has bipolar illness herself
John Nash, Nobel Prize Winner in mathematics, schizophrenia.
Howard Hughes... obsessive compulsive disorder
Ernest Hemingway, ...suicidal depression
Edgar Allen Poe (poet, writer – bipolar disorder)
Charles Darwin ...panic disorder

Famous People Who Have/Had Aspergers Syndrome: NOTE: Also included are famous people for whom there is a lot of speculation that they have or had Aspergers Syndrome, but who may not have (or have had) Aspergers at all.

Albert Einstein
Alan Turing
Alexander Graham Bell
Benjamin Franklin
Carl Jung, Swiss psychoanalyst
Emily Dickinson, US poet
Franz Kafka
Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher
George Bernard Shaw
George Washington
Gustav Mahler, composer
Marilyn Monroe
H P Lovecraft ,US writer
Henry Ford, US industrialist
Mark Twain
Michelangelo
Nikola Tesla, engineer, inventor of electric motors
Alfred Hitchcock
Thomas Edison, 1847-1931, US inventor
Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826, US politician
Andy Warhol
Isaac Asimov
Bill Gates
Bob Dylan
Robin Williams

Following is a list of famous people who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, or are highly suspected of suffering (or who had suffered) from schizophrenia.

Tom Harrell, Jazz Musician
Meera Popkin, Broadway Star
Albert Einstein's son - Eduard Einstein
Alan Alda's Mother (Alan Alda is the famous TV actor from the series MASH)
Andy Goram - Scottish Soccer Player/Goal Keeper
Lionel Aldridge - Superbowl-winning Football Player
Peter Green, Guitarist for the band Fleetwood Mac
Syd Barrett of the band Pink Floyd
Alexander "Skip" Spence and Bob Mosley - both members of the 1960's rock group Moby Grape (and Jefferson Airplane for Skip Spence)
Joe Meek - 1960's British record producer
James Beck Gordon (Jim Gordon) - James Gordon had been, quite simply, one of the greatest drummers of his time
Charles "Buddy" Bolden - Jazz Musician
Antoin Artaud - Dramatist, Artist
Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln (past-President of the United States)
Vaclav Nijinsky, Famous Russian Dancer
Jack Kerouac, Author, was diagnosed with Schizophrenia

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join