It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to ban the mentally ill

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I will admit I have not read the thread, just the op, You do realize that EVERYONE has some sort of mental illness, in one form or another, right? Thats what the FEMA camps are for!!!!! I finally figured it out......whew....And I wasn't too late....I thought we were supposed to "Deny Ignorance" here??? Or did I miss something.....

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Lol come on man you can't actually be serious. If you have no knowledge of the psychology which the majority of people suggesting this dont, then it sounds like a good idea at first. But get real, The vast majority of society at least at some point in their life could qualify as having a mental illness, whether it be anxiety, adhd, depression, etc etc. Their is also tremendous problems with over/under diagnoses. The one thing that caught my attention skimming through this thread was when you mentioned Bipolar had higher crime rates. I myself am Bipolar, I also have adhd/ocd/anxiety. While people with Bipolar Disorder may indeed show a higher likeliness to break the law then the baseline, That does not mean Violent Crime. Speaking from experience, the crime percentage being higher for bipolar people is based off of poor impulse control in mania more so then sitting down and planning a violent crime. I will however meet you in the middle, I would say that a person who is both Mentally ill *AND* a Sociopath should be looked at much more closely. All sociopath's for general in that matter... But as far as "Mentally Ill".. no.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Some would say you are mentally ill for proposing such a extreme and over-the-top solution which is essentially "Cure the disease, kill the patient!"

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
More often than not the perpetrator of acts of violence is sick in the head.

More precisely, every single perpertrator of acts of violence is sick in the head. No exceptions.

I do believe, however, that we are trying to help. A lot of people do get help for mental illness, and there are facilities, counselling, and help available for those people.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Sounds more like just another teenager with a knee-jerk fear-based reaction to every little thing that happens in this world. I guess he doesn't realize that 60% of the American population are what could be considered "mentally ill" and that that term is quite a broad one. I would advise disregarding his rant, which is what I have to do to not be enraged by it, as my brother suffers from Down's Syndrome and by the OPs definition, he should basically be shunned from the society that he so bravely endures on a daily basis. People like the OP are why my brother comes home crying most days. I'm so sick of people reacting to things they don't understand with cruelty.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by Dispo

Sounds more like just another teenager with a knee-jerk fear-based reaction to every little thing that happens in this world. I guess he doesn't realize that 60% of the American population are what could be considered "mentally ill" and that that term is quite a broad one. I would advise disregarding his rant, which is what I have to do to not be enraged by it, as my brother suffers from Down's Syndrome and by the OPs definition, he should basically be shunned from the society that he so bravely endures on a daily basis. People like the OP are why my brother comes home crying most days. I'm so sick of people reacting to things they don't understand with cruelty.

You are quite right about people being cruel, and should not be the case. I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure the OP has been Properly flamed for his statement. The slogan for the site should be "Deny Stupidity" Like that hasn't been said a milloin times on here. I also agree the OP has mental issues for even starting the thread. I myself, I know I'm not right, BUT, I take my perfections and hold on to them for dear life, cuz sometimes, it's all ya got. Please tell your brother for me, to keep his head up, and not to let the stupidity of people rule his life. He is a special person, and is obviously loved by family. It's the people who make him cry that have the mental issues, do parents not teach Morals anymore???

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Saw the title (without viewing the content of the OP, yet) and my first reaction was - then we'd better ban all "normal" people, because from my perspective they are stark raving mad in their blind ignorance and all manner of false presuppositions which aren't the least bit congruent with reality as it really is.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Thanks for the conscientious reply. I wish for my brother's sake that there were more people who thought like you do. If there were, I think his existence on this Earth would be a much more positive one. I honestly think some people think "Oh, hey! There's someone who can't defend themself! Let's go pester him to tears! What's he gonna do about it anyways?" and the funny thing is, they don't realize that his brother (me) would turn them inside out if I ever saw them doing that. I honestly get scared at the thought of what I would do if someone started picking on him when I was there (although I doubt the would, because people like that never open their mouth unless they think they can get away with it). Some people just like to prey on the weak and that's what sickens me about society these days. It's bad enough when the government does it, but for people to do that to eachother is just inexcusable. On a happy note, though, I read my brother your post and I think he's quite happy now. Thanks for that.
edit on 15/12/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Thank you for your kind words, and your brother deserves to be happy. Just tell him he is a genetic superior to them. He has an extra chromasome. And they just can not understand that. I have a friend who has an autistic child, I had not talked to or seen him for almost 10 yrs, I called out of the blue, he answered, and recognized my voice, instantly, I was floored. When he was younger, he had a beach bucket of match box cars, he'd pull one out, put it right in front of my face, and fast to like a few inches from my nose, and I'd tell him what it was. We would do that for a while til he got bored. Tell you what, the boy can make it through a playstation game in no time. I wish you and your brother well, and have a Merry X-mas. I re read your reply, and I got teared up. I made at least one person happy, should be everyones goal for the day. If I can get at least one person to smile or laugh a day, i'm content, I know it is a small thing, but it is also an enormous thing to!

edit on 15-12-2012 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have paranoid schizophrenia and I've never hurt anyone. I also have a gun cabinet full of riffles. I use my guns for hunting not killing people.

Maybe we should ban stupid people we can start with the OP.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

So you want you're government to protect you from me. I happen to suffer from schizophrenia, and after what I've read from you, you'd better seek protection from me. I had no reason to snap until I read this BS.'

I'm just responding to the OP, it struck a bad chord with me...

I am such threat to society too. I'm starting a not-for-profit organization aimed at kick starting more aggressive private space endeavours. You'd right to want to lock me up in some shelter because of that. I'm such a terrible person for turning the other cheek towards the kind of ignorance you're spewing. I'm as bad as Hitler for wanting a better world for myself, my family, and every member of my species.

You are absolutely correct. You know what, instead of locking us up, we should just execute the mentally ill..

Thanx for ruining my day, and giving me a reason to HATE EVERYONE!!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

You do realize at the very least half of all Americans have some kind of mental health issues right? I'm not even being insulting here, most cases of mental illness are undiagnosed. Largely impart to the stigma surrounding mental illness. No one wants to be told they have problems, and most people don't want to, or know how to deal with them.

This is a very ignorant statement. Talk about the collapse of American society. You're turning on your own people based on something you think is scary. A vast majority of people don't even understand what schizophrenia is. Too many individuals jump to the conclusion anyone with schizophrenia is some complete madman out to destroy everything which is also very untrue.

All about schizophrenia and Psychosis.

Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia facts.

The Prevalance Rate for schizophrenia is approximately 1.1% of the population over the age of 18 (source: NIMH) or, in other words, at any one time as many as 51 million people worldwide suffer from schizophrenia, including; 6 to 12 million people in China (a rough estimate based on the population) 4.3 to 8.7 million people in India (a rough estimate based on the population) 2.2 million people in USA 285,000 people in Australia Over 280,000 people in Canada Over 250,000 diagnosed cases in Britain

Would you look at that. 2.2 million people in the US with schizophrenia... That's just a single mental illness. Bet you didn't know this.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

More often than not the perpetrator of acts of violence is sick in the head.

What about Obama calling in air strikes that are killing civilians. The psychosis you talk of is cultural in nature.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Alternately, we could invest in prevention, outreach, and improving the quality of our mental health services. The problem is, above and away, people who simply are unmedicated and untreated.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by darkbake
This is a terrible idea, you can't punish someone before they commit a crime.

A growing number of laws and regulations are pre-crime based attempts to prevent real crimes that result in harm.

Punishment before a crime occurs is the way of the future.

I see what you are saying, and I think we both disagree with the idea.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sure. That's a great idea. While we're at it, lets gets rid of the poor, sick, elderly, and rebellious.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
That's prejudice if ever I saw it. It's a witch hunt, scapegoating society's ills on a class of individuals with minds probably not organized enough to follow through with malice for others. I can't imagine putting immediate guilt onto individuals with mental illness when they never did a thing to harm another person in their life.

I don't suppose you know how many creative people are mentally ill who contribute to society in the best ways. Plus, mental illness is a disability for many, which means you're hating the disabled. Mental illness like PTSD, which afflicts military veterans who fought for your country. Mental illness like post partum depression, which happens to women after they have had a baby. The latest book of mental illness, even smoking cigarettes could be considered a mental illness. Don't you dare propose final solutions for anybody like that. Don't add your intolerant weight to the pile of trouble they are already carrying in society.

Technology is advancing fast enough so that the mentally ill of today will be the understood of tomorrow. We have technology that can read minds now. Computer headsets that when worn can train a brain to change digital images on a screen. Tomorrow's world isn't going to be full of drugs, or worse, what you suggest, a culling.

Take a break and think twice before dumping on a type of person.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Quite a few people think that Schizophrenics are more violent than the average person. False. Schizophrenics are twice as likely to be the victims of violent crime, rather than a perpetrator. I should know. I have a mental illness on the Schizo spectrum.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PollyPeptide

So you want you're government to protect you from me. I happen to suffer from schizophrenia, and after what I've read from you, you'd better seek protection from me. I had no reason to snap until I read this BS.'

I'm just responding to the OP, it struck a bad chord with me...

I am such threat to society too. I'm starting a not-for-profit organization aimed at kick starting more aggressive private space endeavours. You'd right to want to lock me up in some shelter because of that. I'm such a terrible person for turning the other cheek towards the kind of ignorance you're spewing. I'm as bad as Hitler for wanting a better world for myself, my family, and every member of my species.

You are absolutely correct. You know what, instead of locking us up, we should just execute the mentally ill..

Thanx for ruining my day, and giving me a reason to HATE EVERYONE!!

Hey WOAH!!! Ms. Peptide...Take a deep breath.....I think the OP is one of those people who love to see people mad, don't play into it. If you read this, you will realize who actually is mentally ill here. You at least are trying to do something productive for society. And if you'd like to refer to yourself as Hitler, A HAIL for you and an outstretched hand.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

This is largely an American phenomenon these mass killings so at the larger societal level you'd almost have to bad the whole country and everyone in it, but something's wrong, especially when people think it's as simple as pointing a finger at any one group including the mentally ill. The OP demonstrates precisely the kind of ignorance which, when taken as a whole ultimately leads to these kinds of tragedies, which are based in blind ignorance, intollerance and hatred and just plain human stupidity.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join