It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to ban the mentally ill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

They have recently opened a facility near me, it is like an apartment complex.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by sebHFX

If some mental health professionals decide I'm not stable round me up and haul me off kicking and screaming to the funny farm

live free or die

You are not free in prison, and then you just hit the old revolving door .
edit on 123131p://bSaturday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm not in prison... I just noticed his avatar / comment

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

As long as its like the independent living for the elderly apartments we have here, which are beautiful and they have space and room for family and friends and joint meals, smorgs for food, and are very nice, it is not a prison and would vastly prefer nothing over 3 stories. I see abundant eco homes, and earthship home style townhouses, and quite a different thing. I think its time to stop envisioning, supporting or allowing any form of scarsity. And to overcome all blocks in every region to abundance for ALL.

The ones we should be the most loving, kind and abundant too, and LAVISH with attention,kindness, beauty, wonderful homes, and care, services, (medical, dental, massage therapy, art therapy, music therapy, homecare, housework, meals, shopping, company, IS THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN WITHOUT FOR SO LONG AND NEGLECTED BY EVERYONE!!!!.

Anything else is illegal crimes against humanity. And we must overturn and overcome.

And no, don't see any need to target the mentally ill and BAN THEM, but join in a wonderful community and overcome all the negativity here on earth.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Well exactly, we should be capable of reforming mental health care and offer assisted living.

I am not to optimistic though, the cost will put a damper on that, and only a few will get the help they need.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

I'm not in prison... I just noticed his avatar / comment

Zeta I didn't mean you specifically I meant generally speaking.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Anybody here ever work with the mentally ill? They're not terribly social people. They need space, not buddies and pals.

Group homes sound nice and cozy but the fact is they suit society's needs, not the needs of the mentally ill.

Forcing those who need to isolate, to socialize, only makes them more uncomfortable and more aggressive and combative.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Anybody here ever work with the mentally ill? They're not terribly social people. They need space, not buddies and pals.

Group homes sound nice and cozy but the fact is they suit society's needs, not the needs of the mentally ill.

Forcing those who need to isolate, to socialize, only makes them more uncomfortable and more aggressive and combative.

I wonder how many of those not ''socialized'', got in that position? In fact they could be very well very sociable but in their experience they often feel they better off alone (of course their are exeptions).
But they IMO often got their from experience (being open also means vulnerable often..) and so often they lost any trust in people.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Well, of course. Forcing them to socialize only agitates them. Anyone who would do that does not have their well-being in mind.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I touched on the OPs subject in another post last night and this seems the right place to expound on it.

Each and every mass shooter has exhibited severe mental health issues prior to commiting mass murder, its not the case that they just suddenly went from innocent law adiding citizen to monster mode in a moment.

As far as gun possesion its already commiting a crime to lie on form 4473 when asked about treatment for mental health issues and if one is on drugs legal or illegal that would disqualify ownership.

The law actually did work when yesterdays perpatrator alledgedly tried to buy a rifle, ended up killing mother and taking hers -

There are many forms and levels of mental health issues and I believe the OP has a valid point as to one of the larger sources of people who commit these crimes.

I think its a combination of and many different levels of treatment that would help these people and make civil society safer at the same time. I do know whats done now and how these people are treated is not working at all.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don’t think you quite understand mental health, I am a big fan of more gun control but this is not the way. The problem is not mental health the problem is the number of arms held by the general population in America.

I have worked in mental health and your ideas are very much Victorian, “put them in a complex”, definitely not, institutionalisation of people with mental illness does not work, community care is far more effective it’s what us health care professionals in the UK call “shifting the balance of care”.

Currently 1 in 4 will experience some kind of mental ill health episode at some point in their lives, most of the time these are transient events that will pass. I could have you go for a psychological screening today to see if you are of good mental health and do the same thing next month the same psychologist and find that one month you were sane and the next you are depressed. Furthermore two psychologists would may have very different views on who is sane and who is “insane”, sanity is not something which can be established in an interview. Also it is entirely possible for a person who is mentally unwell to pass such a screening it’s not as easy as saying yes your sane or no you’re not. The last problem with this is how many people it would affect, 1 in 4 people would not be given access to guns but mental health isn’t just about the “schizo’s” its also about the anorexics and the people with OCD, your catch all term is very ignorant and shows that you need to think about your idea a little bit more.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Mentally ill. Doesnt matter if they're depressed, schizo or autistic since they've all been traits of killers at one time or another alone or grouped with multiple disorders.
edit on 15-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Your brilliant theory is also including the very people who have lost their kids in that shooting.. You do realise that don't you? Has it occured to you that some of the people who have lost their children etc may develop a mental disorder? You going to throw them in a padded room also? You do not understand what a mental disorder is and to me, you have no right to even debate about the subject. You clearly do not know what your on about.

What about rape victims, you going to call them killers and psychopahs? People who have lost their loved ones or been through trauma? Do they deserve an room in an institution with their name on it? Give up while your ahead.. Your argument is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

The research actually does show that schizophrenics are more likely to commit violent crimes than the general population. This is especially true if they have substance abuse problems.

Really? What research? Direct me to it pls. Cos I've got a whole stack of research that demonstrates the exact opposite.

The evidence available so far suggests that the proportion of violent crimes committed by people suffering from a severe mental disorder is small. There is no unambiguous evidence of an increase of violent acts committed by severely mentally ill people in general and people suffering from schizophrenia in particular during recent years. Strangers appear to be at an even lower risk of being violently attacked by someone suffering from severe mental disorder than by someone who is mentally healthy.

'This paper was read in a preliminary version at the 1st International Zurich Conference on Clinical and Social Psychiatry, Zurich, September 9–12, 1999. The conference and this publication were sponsored by Eli Lilly Suisse.'

LINK

Try this one for starters.,

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Dispo

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Ban them from what exactly?

Life. The OP wants to put all schizophrenics in a big apartment complex and let them live out their days there to protect us from them.

If he does, I'll happily break out and kill him to 'prove' his point.

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

You start researching the side effects the medications given to kids and teenagers have before you start deciding it's their mindset and not the cure that is the problem.

As another poster said on another thread today, 'The Romans ate their food from lead plates and thought tomatoes caused madness.'

Common Side Effects of Ritalin

Addiction
Nervousness including agitation, anxiety and irritability
Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
Decreased appetite
Headache
Stomach ache
Nausea
Dizziness
Heart palpitations

Other Serious Side Effects Include

Slowing of growth (height and weight) in children
Seizures, mainly in patients with a history of seizures
Eyesight changes or blurred vision

Less Common Side Effects

High blood pressure
Rapid pulse rate (and other heart problems)
Tolerance (constant need to raise the dose)
Feelings of suspicion and paranoia
Visual hallucinations (seeing things that are not there)
Depression
Cocaine craving
Dermatoses (infected or diseased skin)
Urinary tract infection
Infection or viral infection
Elevated ALT enzyme levels in the blood (signaling liver damage)

Overdose Side Effects

Methylphenidate drugs have been extensively abused. Extreme psychological dependence and severe social disability have resulted. Abuse of methylphenidate drugs may cause a sudden heart attack even in those with no signs of heart disease. Symptoms of overdose that require immediate medical assistance include:
Restlessness
Tremor
Aggression Hallucinations Panic states Hyperreflexia (overactive reflexes, which can include twitching or spasms)
Personality changes

Symptoms of depression
Seizures or abnormal EEGs
High blood pressure
Rapid heart beat
Swelling of hands/feet/ankles (for example, numbing of the fingertips)
Delusions
Sweating
Vomiting
Dehydration
Unexplained muscle pain
Lower abdominal pain
Rhabdomyolysis and kidney damage
Chronic abuse can manifest itself as psychosis, often indistinguishable from schizophrenia

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Yes i do work with the metally ill. And to be quite blunt, I wouldnt want them living neat door to me.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LILY9

Well so much for any anti-discrimination training you've been given. So much for reducing stigma? Are you quite sure you're in the right job?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Instead of Banning or shunning the mentally ill, maybe more can be done to help them recover.

Take a look at the inspiring youtube video of Jonny Benjamin's recovery.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If we were to ban the mentally ill, wouldn't that pretty much mean that everybody, every single person in the world gets banned? Maybe we ARE the place they banned them to.

Ooops, another psycho, let's send them to earth with the others.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaKitteh
If we were to ban the mentally ill, wouldn't that pretty much mean that everybody, every single person in the world gets banned? Maybe we ARE the place they banned them to.

Ooops, another psycho, let's send them to earth with the others.

Great minds think alike. And I like cats.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join