It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas dad carves pentagram in son’s back because 12-12-12 is a ‘holy day’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by logical7

Wildtimes i appreciate your openess to dialogues so i'l say that i see a pattern in your posts.
You appear to find any reasons to discredit and insult holy books. Here i'l agree with godlover, so you did manage to unite a christian and a muslim!
Are you on a personal crusade to eradicate all religions? Or at least awaken people about the horrible REALITY of religions!!!

Hmmmm...
suddenly old, dead threads of mine are being revived. Wonder what that's about? People looking into my history? If so, that's cool..... it doesn't really matter, though.
To answer your question:

Loglical7,
you are correct that I discredit holy books.
I am on a "personal crusade" to UNDERSTAND why people still buy into the antiquated and obsolete stories that those "holy books" include.

The good messages contained in each of them have become lost in translation, and twisted by fundamentalists and others, and are used as "weapons" with single phrases or statements being taken out of context.

I want to contribute to finding the common denominator, and eradicating hatred, ignorance, and violence. I have also been interacting on here for nearly two years, and my ideas have evolved and changed.

My understanding has evolved and changed.

I don't expect anyone to "convert" or to "eradicate" religion on account of my points of view. But I will never shrink from saying that 'handbooks about life' need to be edited to fit the times.....and those who cling to fantastic stories from centuries ago as literal truth -- even in the face of current knowledge, discoveries, linguistic and social change that is profound -- ought to carefully assess the REASONS they believe in whatever parts of them they embrace.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I am on a "personal crusade" to UNDERSTAND why people still buy into the antiquated and obsolete stories that those "holy books" include. The good messages contained in each of them have become lost in translation, and twisted by fundamentalists and others, and are used as "weapons" with single phrases or statements being taken out of context.

yes that maybe happening, but as you yourself pointed statements being taken "out of context" and it can be resolved by understanding the scriptures properly. I'l ask you, have you read the Bible and Qur'an?

I want to contribute to finding the
common denominator, and
eradicating hatred, ignorance, and violence. I have also been interacting
on here for nearly two years, and my
ideas have evolved and changed.
My understanding has evolved and
changed.

you cannot contribute by starting from a point where you disregard two major religions totalling almost 4 billions.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

you cannot contribute by starting from a point where you disregard two major religions totalling almost 4 billions.

I cannot?? Why not?
I don't care how many people are following whatever books. I care about the human race, my children, the planet, and global peace.

It is very evident that the "major religions" are a major cause of strife and misunderstanding in our world........

What do you suggest, then, to work toward world peace?
Just keep fighting each other? Keep hating? Keep harboring ignorant beliefs about each other?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

What do you suggest, then, to work toward world peace? Just keep fighting each other? Keep hating? Keep harboring ignorant beliefs about each other?

i hope this is just rhetorical, otherwise you'l be putting words in my mouth.
I suggest starting from a least acceptable common denominator, One Creator.
The atheist are left out because if we start any lower then we are just evolved animals and are subject to darwinism's "survival of fittest"
The second step is accountability, so, if we are aware that we will be accountable for our actions then we can behave better.
These two can be good points. What you say?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

i hope this is just rhetorical,

Yes, it is totally rhetorical.

Thanks for keeping that option in view.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

i hope this is just rhetorical,

Yes, it is totally rhetorical.

Thanks for keeping that option in view.

what about the common denominator? Do you or do you not agree?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

That is also what I suggested, and have suggested, over and over.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

That is also what I suggested, and have suggested, over and over.

so u'l leave atheist? Just asking to confirm that, as we can proceed only after the foundation is rock firm.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

so u'l leave atheist? Just asking to confirm that, as we can proceed only after the foundation is rock firm.

I don't understand. I'm not an atheist; never have been an atheist. I believe in a Creator, a source, but I don't think of God as a "man" using human reasoning or thought.

I guess I'd be a Deist, like we initially discussed, but since I've only just discovered that "style" of spirituality recently, I can't claim "this is me!". I will not, however, become affiliated with any existing organized religion that I know of. I prefer to be a "solitary seeker", and discuss the aspects of God and Soul that transcend any set of "religious" rules or texts. I think each of them has something to offer, but also lack something important.

Does that help?

EDIT: OOohhhhh!!! You mean "leave atheists out of the conversation" and stick to the common denominator of believing in "One Creator"?
Yes, absolutely. I don't consider atheists to be part of a religious dialogue.

edit on 22-1-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I don't understand. I'm not an atheist; never have been an atheist. I believe in a Creator, a source, but I don't think of God as a "man" using human reasoning or thought.

I guess I'd be a Deist, like we initially discussed, but since I've only just discovered that "style" of spirituality recently, I can't claim "this is me!". I will not, however, become affiliated with any existing organized religion that I know of. I prefer to be a "solitary seeker", and discuss the aspects of God and Soul that transcend any set of "religious" rules or texts. I think each of them has something to offer, but also lack something important.

Does that help?

EDIT: OOohhhhh!!! You mean "leave atheists out of the conversation" and stick to the common denominator of believing in "One Creator"?
Yes, absolutely. I don't consider atheists to be part of a religious dialogue.

it sure helped but you answered what i needed in the EDIT.
So we are done with the Basic foundation.
The second i mentioned was accountability but maybe we should 1st answer the PURPOSE. why we are created.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The second i mentioned was accountability but maybe we should 1st answer the PURPOSE. why we are created.

Well...
considering it wasn't to carve pentagrams in the backs of our sons on 12-12-12 because of some "holy day" twisted idea....
how about a new thread?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Well...
considering it wasn't to carve pentagrams in the backs of our sons on 12-12-12 because of some "holy day" twisted idea....
how about a new thread?

that would be lovely and more appropriate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join