It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to class, tact and diplomacy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Unfortunately, class, tact, and diplomacy doesn't sell newspapers. It doesn't matter what is right or wrong, it hasn't for a long, long time. Right now newspapers are trying to justify their place in modern journalism, battling online mediums for readers. Shock value is not a concern for them right now.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sadly there seems to be a fine line between getting information out quickly, and capitalizing on a tragedy and trying to win the ratings game. I turned the breaking news special off after 10 minutes yesterday because it was just too much. I couldn't handle looking at all those little kids, and it was just the same heart-wrenching information over and over again.

RIP to all those lost yesterday, and all of those affected by this tragedy.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LFN69

It's ego again. It may not be consciously done, but everyone wants their moment in the sun and that's how many of these parents are getting it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Wow. S&F times a million.

Now for the big question: What thoughts are we supposed to have for these tormented families? What could our feelings possibly do to ease their suffering?

My thoughts are rage, hopelessness, and helplessness. Absolutely nothing could have been done to prevent this nightmare. We can't even examine what happened and come up with a way to prevent this from happening again and again and again. This is a tragedy without answers. Twenty-six people died a meaningless death.

Would it do any good to project these thoughts onto the families when they already have way too much pain to deal with, except maybe to let them know that their loss is our loss?

If there are such things as class, tact and diplomacy in the aftermath of horrors such as this, I don't know what they are. Because to be honest, my rage reaction is to say that if each of those teachers had had a weapon this might not have happened, or not so many would have died if they could have taken the shooter out before he killed so many. And that's no civilized answer.

I know the OP is talking about the coldness of the news media. How can I expect them to do what's right in instances such as this if, on a personal level, I don't even know what the right thing is?
edit on 12/15/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
A fine example from the UK is the Kay Burley from Sky News approach. Shoving cameras in the faces of those grieving and asking them ridiculous questions and in this case, breaking the news to family members a little girl had been presumed dead.

Kay Burley is one of the most tactless and vacuous "journalists" the UK has ever seen.
I dont know who she is shagging but it must be somebody pretty high up.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm still finding it hard to even write about the things that happened yesterday, but I wanted to thank you Nef for introducing a moment of rationality into the insanity that has surrounded this event.

My heart aches for the families and friends of the victims of this tragedy, and more then that my heart aches for the world. When something like this happens everyone of us must stand up as being a cog( however insignificant) in the machine that created a society in which these kind of things happen.
When something this terrible happens a little part of all of us is never the same again.

As for diplomacy. That is something that is born through perspective and deeper thought on a subject and for that people require time to step back and asses a situation..

Unfortunately we are now conditioned into thinking that we all have to have an opinion on something the instant it happens. The "I knew about it first" or "First post" attitude that infects internet forums and the mass media tells us that having any opinion as long as you have it right now is more valuable then having a well rounded and considered opinion tomorrow as by tomorrow everyone will have moved on.

We are being pulled into a Pavlovian reward cycle where we are praised for knee jerk ill considered or partisan attitudes with likes on facebook, friends on twitter, stars, karma. Where it doesn't matter what you say as long as you say something and say it right now and as loudly as you can.

Manners, decorum, politeness and respect for boundaries are all vanishing as we race to the bottom of the barrel chasing after fleeting praise from a group of faceless and anonymous peers.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Today's mind set.

Class - Mine is of the highest order ! Why worry about the lower.

Tact - is only needed when you actually want them to believe the lie.

Diplomacy - is the art of having someone else get your way.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

This is why people jump up to defend guns right away and seemingly not care about the victims.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before. Rahm Emanuel

Government admits it takes advantage of the people when they are in a compromised state. while you are crying and healing they are diligently working to enact their agenda. many people have grown wise to this and no longer fall for it. The result is the callous behavior towards the victims.

I do not blame the people though. As government seems to have no tact or class. This has allowed government to have an edge over people who do.

The media is a ratings #$@#$, all they care about is ratings and getting the inside scoop. They do not care about the victims they just care about ratings as a company and the individuals just care about their careers.

Many people I work with and in my family are horrified about how the media treats victims of tragedy. You OP think the same way and many many others think the same way. The only people who really do not see a problem with this are those who want ratings.

The media has no tact or class because if they had it their news network would flail in the ratings. It is a game of chicken. Who every goes the furthest wins and if you do not go far enough you lose. The media basically dictates what we see or listen to on the news. How many things are not censored even if the people want to see it?? Why do they deem that 5yr old victims should be interviewed for public consumption?? what is the criteria for what is showed and what is not?? there are many things that would bring in ratings but some are chose over others why?? The media has an agenda and interviewing 5yr kids are part of it.

That is what happened to class and tact. It went out the window as the ones who do not follow class or tact get an edge over those who have it. The offenders are people in government and media.. not the common people.

As government or media do whatever their agenda dictates and they really do not really care what the public thinks.
edit on 15-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
All is not lost, there seems to have been a number of threads hitting back on the initial wave of shallow discussion that resulted from yesterday's events.

Not sure if there has been similar retractions in the MSM, haven't had the stomach to watch at all today.
edit on 12/15/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I have a specific answer for you.

It took only one month after the tragedy of 9/11 for the Patriot Act to pass and effectively
kill the fourth amendment.

With all due respect for mourning and memorial, the issue at hand is TOO important for future
generations. It is imperative for those of us who think logically during times of emotional stress to
remain vigilant while the rest of the population is mired in, and distracted by, emotion.

It is a thankless job, I understand that, but I accept it.

edit on 15-12-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
All is not lost, there seems to have been a number of threads hitting back on the initial wave of shallow discussion that resulted from yesterday's events.

Not sure if there has been similar retractions in the MSM, haven't had the stomach to watch at all today.
edit on 12/15/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

I have a degree of empathy for how you feel. Likewise I believe that there would have been many
German citizens who would have felt similar feelings after the burning of the Reichstag had that
particular incident been politicized too soon after the fact.

There would however have been a few million Jews who would have disagreed with your assessment
of shallow discussion. For them, the restraints of government following that incident lead to their deaths.
And this was only seventy years ago.

We do not live in a Utopian society. There are ugly truths that need to be discussed immediately
after tragedies such as this. Most do not have the stomach for it, but it is necessary and important

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
People care more about guns than people.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I feel stirred to respond on two points:

One, the idea that has come up everywhere (not only on this site) that people passionately wanting to know and discuss the killer and the question of weapons control, is evidence that they don't care about the victims of this tragedy.

I think that is false. Now, my kids being european and never having been exposed to the american ideals, asked me this morning- "How can americans even consider having guns when they have stuff like this happen so often???'

I explained that when stuff like this happens, half the people, in their shock, dismay, and horror, say to themselves "It is because anyone can pick up a gun that this happened. We must get rid of the guns, quick"

The other half in the same state of shock, dismay and horror, say to themselves, "If other people present had had a gun armed and ready in their pocket, this would not have happened! We must get them guns, quick!"

It is a chicken and egg question... but it is stimulated by the concern people feel at this event, and their desire to act so that they can figure out how this could come about and take action to prevent it ever happening again.
That is not inhumane intent. It might be something like the husband that can't just listen to your need to vent without trying to take care of it, granted... but that is just how some people digest things.

Secondly, the question of tact. The concept of class has traditionally been associated with sensitivity. (remember the Princess and the Pea?) the ability to be sensitive was nurtured and developed in the higher classes and royalty, through protecting them from harsh or challenging life experiences. .

The benefit is in diplomatic affairs- the people of (protected)- royal or high class ancestry, would be the ones dealing with diplomatic exchanges with other tribes, kingdoms or nations. They would have to be sensitive enough (empathic enough) to be able to adapt and step out of their usual framework of culture and experience, to be able to understand and communicate effectively with other peoples very different from their own.

So consider that when we speak of class and tact. It requires great sensitivity and ability to empathize... to an extent that would be detrimental to many "normal" types of lifestyles and experiences. Having 'a tougher skin' is more advantageous in many life paths which do not include travel and exchange with different peoples. It is too much to expect, and in many cases, would be detrimental.

The content is there, in the intent... the form may be less than tactful at times, but honestly, unless the parents are present; that is less important.

edit on 15-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
On a daily basis I rise between 10:00 - 11:00 AM and as I am wont to do perform my toilet tend to my 4 Cats take my meds & check my sugar pour a cuppa & light a cig relax wake up and then check my E-Mail. The TV is on 24/7 and I flip to 'The Price Is Right' for a light bright background sound to start the day. Friday brought a scene I always dread - 'Breaking News'. Melodrama tragedy hype & no 'Price Is Right'. I mean no disrespect nor do I take lightly Friday's heinous event. But in the name of decency briefly inform me of this news and then bring me details when there is something concrete & substantial to tell. Do not harrass & badger the People who are suffering this tragedy in the name of keeping the public informed. In short I would appreciate it if the MSM would display a modicum of dignity in the wake of such personal horror.

IMO

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What happened???

People chose to be different, pushed for law changes, relaxed how we handle children, relaxed what we taught as acceptable, expected greater freedoms and it went out the window with what America asked for and got through changes to law and attitudes.

What you've got, you developed and cultured yourself.

But wait till 2045 if you think it's not nice now?

Why?

Because of the calls for law changes, relaxing of how we handle children, changing the definition of what is acceptable, greater personal freedoms etc now.

How long, for example, before bigamy is being pushed as a 'personal right' or sex with animals as a 'personal right... just for example.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
Maybe the MSM knows they have to satisfy a public inured to decency by Reality Tv?

I think that has a lot to do with it. Reality TV has causes us to shut off emotions and to expect the more and more outrageous as "normal". It's gotten beyond ridiculous.

There are opposing theories. Some say TV reflects society others say that society reflects TV. I don't know which one is the answer but I know that both are degrading at a similar rate.

The masses are easily controlled by giving them what they want even when they don't know what they want.

Since it's all about "entertainment", I may as well take a quote from a movie. The Men in Black, agent K:
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it."

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Thanks for the thread. I am grateful for a safe thread to come to, because for a while now I've noticed a creeping insensitivity in "agenda" posts and such a callousness in them that it was going to make me leave the site.

This barbaric event has gutted me. As I went about my business tears kept rolling down my cheeks even though I was not crying. And people think it's ok to callously pass judment on President Obama's feelings. I was not glued to the media at all. It also struck at my core when I heard the medical examiner say that "each one was shot more than once." What the hell?

It has made me resolve to speak out more. I mentioned insensitivity because it is my belief that a lack of compassion has been on the increase and must be tackled in our society, because our society needs a serious reset. Callousness and insensitivity are at the bottom of the behavioural barrel, and imo this event really reached the bottom.

My prayers go out to all the victims and families of senseless violence in Newtown and everywhere on our planet.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
20 kids didn't die.Every "child" in that school did.
Watching/having friends and trusted authorities die,would rob anyone of innocence,and give a full dose of the real world.
What a world.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Szarekh because: Youre not big brother!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Agreed, OP -- in the immediate aftermath of this horrible event, many of us made a mad dash for one side or the other on the gun issue, instead of first seeing the actual human devastation that was happening. None of these families will ever get over this, no matter how much politicking we do or how much blathering we spout off. These mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, husbands, grandparents, aunts, uncles, classmates, and friends care one whit about what any of us think about guns, the President, or anything outside of the crushing tragedy that they must now learn to live with.

The oddest thing, to me, is that we're now discussing civility and such... on an Internet forum.

What we really need to do is turn these d*** computers off, go out, and talk with a living and breathing human being, whether it be family member, friend, or stranger. We need to reconnect with each other on the most basic levels and bridge over the distances we have acquired via technology.

As for the news media.... that died with Walter Cronkite. Now, the motivation isn't reporting the news, it's reporting whatever will bring in more readership and make more money for Those In Charge. I don't know how many of you remember Cronkite's live reporting on the deaths of the Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics -- "they're all gone" -- but we've gone from that to focussing on the Kardashian celebritarts.

We have cheapened not only our world, but our deepest connections to each other.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

1. show emotion where on here or in the "media"
if ats, who are we to share emotions with if you are not "one" of those families. its like pating each other on the back, or wasted space in a chat write a paragraph explaining you care. GREAT CLAP CLAP

2. if the media? are you serious, do you really think they are there to get you real news? im only 34 and have realised by now its a mouth piece for the government, i have also learned that our government is most likey run by a shadow government producing policy that doesnt make sense for this country.
the u.n is that shadow governmet, for us and all the others who belong to it.

3. no one teaches the things you ask for because they come from parents. have you seen some of the apes producing lately, draggin thier kids across the walmart floor half naked by the foot screaming at the top of their lungs wearing a wide load t shirt and weighing 450lbs? do you really think the skills you have dscribed is what this country is producing , or any country in the g5 for that fact?
if thats not enough just look at all the corruption in the government and wallstreet. do you think parents are teaching its ok to screw the little guy and steal from your own people. but then teaching them the skills you desire of people? lol

4. people are quick to cutt through the BS because they know whats going on. multiple shootings, all dealing with family centers, all HAVE SEMI AUTOMATIC WEAPONS that the make sure you know that the person who comited crime and no matter how they obtained it bought /stolen. they had a SEMI AUTOMATIC WEAPON. gee isnt that the U.N resolution that keeps getting put up time and time again?. to ban semi automatic and automatic weapons. wow what a coincence.

5 the reason why you have reporters shoving microphones into little kids faces is because: these are government run psyops. half the media was trained as cia (once cia always cia) and what better way to make people remember guns are bad than a bunch of little kids all shookin up hoping they brake down and cry and wett themseles on tv so it burns into peoples memories that "guns are bad" which is wrong, its a tool just like anything else. just as much damage can be done with a butcher knife out of kitchen draw when unleashed apon unsuspecting people minding own business. and gotta love the ones where shooters off themselves, yah sure i wanted to make a really big statement and shoot tons of people, then kill myself with no notes ryhme or reason? lol

well i guess after 9/11 people will believe anything, and thats why 9/11 happend. to make money and see how much of a BS story people would accept....... well hook line and sinker. ^^
edit on 16-12-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join