It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shootings - any new arguments?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
As soon as I heard about the shooting, I new the usual arguments would be trotted out from each side, as they are after each shooting, and as they will be next time, and the time after.

Need MORE guns, so the shooter could have been stopped.
Need LESS guns in society, so the shooter couldnt have gotten one to begin with.
False flag caused by the government to let laws passed to take guns away.
If it wasnt a gun, he woulda used something else.
etc...

You know the ones, you've read them all today.

So... list below and NEW and ORIGINAL arguments that you have thought of about this topic, that have never been made before.

(I'd cant think of any myself)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
It's caused me to wonder about how much momentum one individual can generate and their potential to scar the wider society.

Looks like the breaking-point was a domestic row with his mother - hence her death. This rapidly escalated to a spiteful massacre that's gone as far as comments from the Whitehouse.

My (dull) argument would be that no reasonable society can protect itself from an agent of chaos like this shooter or others. Nor should any reasonable society let itself be twisted out of shape to cater to the potential horrors of these extremely rare individuals.

I counted 14 shooters from 2012 in the USA. 14 people out of a population of over 300 million. From that perspective, arming all teachers or disarming the population are overreactions.

Be vigilant without removing the freedoms of millions due to the actions of one.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I think every man, woman and child in the US should have to be armed at all times. The world is a dangerous place, and if we outlaw guns the criminals will just buy their assault rifles from the overseas black market. And everyone knows the only way to stop violence is with more violence

As soon as that baby starts to crown, have a pistol ready for him. If he doesn't start on day one, how will he defend himself in preschool? He'll fail his marksmanship class in kindergarten and really be screwed then.
Hell, my kid's getting a Luger in utero. Sometimes labor is hard, I say let him shoot his way out!

And let's say the child somehow makes it to age 15. Now some other kid is trying to take the girl he likes to Homecoming, and if he doesn't have a gun, how is he going to shoot him??

What all these liberal hippie tree hugging douche bags want is a world in which my child won't be able to defend himself! I thought this was 'Murica! Land of the armed, home of the dead!

join