It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we trying to figure this out ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota
reply to post by Bluesma

Well, Alaska is part of the US. The map isn't breaking down state by state or province by province, so even if Alaska had the lowest intentional homicide rate in the US, it will still take the US average (or shade of color in this case).

I'm sure there are rural parts of Russia that are quite calm and peaceful, but...the whole country gets the same color.

You're right. (carrying out head slap now...)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What about celestial events? Phases of the Moon, Solar activity?

Come to think of it, the Moon has always been associated with madness in the past, maybe there is a reason why we haven't realized yet?

If all of this happens on or around the full moon, for example, would that be just coincidence or a real factor?

Edit...
I had another thought, and this one kind of disturbed me more then a little. What if the reason its all young men is due to the fact that on average men hear sounds that are 2.3 lower in pitch then women.

When you factor in age, and as such a likely better quality of hearing, as well as their mental conditions and what i am going to assume is a complete bombardment of various frequency noises from music, video games, television/movies and advertising then it seems like it could be a big factor.

In short i am saying that maybe someone, by accident or design, created a sound that each of these individuals heard that set them off.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Thorneblood because: The Sound of Madness

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What if a gnome told him to do it?
Sorry, but can you give a bit more substance to your 'what ifs'?

WHY would a SOUND make someone go on an extended murder spree?

Or the moon (which is in it's new phase right now anyway)?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by delusion

Ok...
Sound and the Brain

which keys into...
Stress, noise and your head

and finally....from the heavens above we find what i might not believe but is still a question to be asked...
Moon madness

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Thanks.

So is your hypothesis that he picked up on a natural sound being produced; or that someone deliberately parked outside his house aiming sub-sonic soundwaves into his brain; or the sound was deliberate but non-specific but he was the one who happened to pick it up and felt like shooting a bunch of kids because of it?

Do you have any basis for this other than 'people's moods can be affected by sounds'?

edit on 15-12-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

reply to post by Bluesma

Thanks for the second link
edit on 15-12-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Governments continuously teach us to use violent behaviour to solve problems.

The recurring debates about gun control, rock music and violent videogames every time a tragedy like this happens are helpless political disarray.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

In the vast majority of cases, they were people who had been isolated by their peers and bullied heavily for years.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
To be honest, i don't think that it is that far-fetched of a concept to think that he could have answered his cell phone one afternoon and heard a sound that set off an emotional trigger. How long would it really take any of us to find some reference to 'keywords' or 'trigger sounds' in older areas of conspiracy theories like MK Ultra and what not?

I also don't really think that anything happening in space would have any relation to this or any other case either. I just don't believe that we know everything about everything going on up above us and to believe that nothing up there could possibly harm us mentally/physically is a bit presumptuous.

However, it isn't my theory, i was just doing what the OP originally was aiming at and forming a list of questions to rule out what is and isn't a possible thread linking cases such as these. A bit like when Dustin Hoffman asks Will Ferrell if he is the King of anything..

Which is another good question, do any of these people claim to be the King of anything?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
OK. Consider this statement. "It's for the children." Used to push whatever agenda is going that day. This has been used to the point that children are no longer punished for their actions. There was a statement in the book, not the movie, of Starship Troopers that went like this.

"Have you raised a puppy? It poops on the floor and you do not punish it, you let it continue to do that and then one day you realize it is a dog. Do you then take it outside and shoot it? Then why do we do that with our children? How do you expect them ever to learn to be civilized if we do not teach them?"

That was paraphrased, I have not read the book in at least a decade.
The point I am trying to make is as a society we have raised our children to a higher level then they belong. It is like we believe that being civilized is ingrown in our children. It is not. So children raised that way become like the dog who has never been house broken. They have teeth as well. So now do we have to kill those who are now becoming adults who were raised that way in order to protect society? I do not know.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Everyone's been blaming guns for this tragedy and I can see why they would. Wide proliferation of semi-automatic handguns and longarms in the US increases the scope for tragic "active shooter" events like this to occur.

Thing is, while the wide proliferation of semi-automatic weapons of all flavours in the United States is not new, these "active shooter" incidents are. Well, they aren't brand new - when you look at other countries as well. UK and Australia both had their first cases in 1987 - Hungerford and Hoddle Street - when respective whackjobs shot a bunch of innocent people with semi-automatic weapons. It snowballed from there - with the Strathfield and Dunblane massacres in Aus and the UK, then the Port Arthur tragedy in Australia in 1996 and the Cumbria shootings in the Old Dart in 2010. In other countries we've had similar events in Switzerland, Canada, Norway, and of course the US.

So what changed after 1987? Military-style semi-automatic rifles and semi-automatic pistols were widely available in Australia, the UK, New Zealand, Canada and the US - in fact in the 1930s you could buy a submachine gun by mail order in the US. Why weren't there masses of reports of "dissatisfied individuals" shooting up schools and soda fountains and bars between 1940 and 1987? The guns were available.

You may bring up the case of the deranged former Marine Charles Whitman in 1966 where, set up in a bell tower, he lived out his sniper fantasy by gunning down 14 innocent civilians and wounding 32 more. He did the most damage with a pair of bolt-action hunting rifles (although he did have a semi-automatic M1 carbine and a sawn-off shotgun with him). There was not an evil black military-style assault rifle to be seen - but they were available. Civilian semi-automatic AR-15 rifles had been available for sale since 1963. Whitman was a whackjob of a similar vein to the post-1987 "active shooters", but he did his damage with a perfectly legal and socially-acceptable (at the time) bolt-action hunting rifle.

So what has changed since 1987? It can't be the wide availability of weapons since they'd always been available.

Pushing the MKULTRA style conspiracy theories aside for a moment, I think we would do well to examine what environmental and societal factors could be the root cause of such behaviour. What do you think? Desensitization due to action movies and violent video games? Prevalence of undiagnosed mental illnesses within the community and a lack of effective treatment for those diagnosed? Something in the water? To my mind the movies idea holds some merit - the Columbine shooters thought they were Neo out of the Matrix and it's clear the Aurora gunman thought he was the Joker out of the Dark Knight. I'm not saying movies are to blame, but maybe there was a little bit of monkey-see, monkey-do piled on top of a heaping helping of schizophrenia or MKULTRA programming or whatever.

What other societal or environmental factors could be contributing to these massacres?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
How about Brain Hacking? And take notice of the many references to Mental Illness and 'new treatments' that take place in an alternate, computer-generated reality?

Hack the Hippocampus

Substituting Reality

or perhaps Dna Hacking is more your thing?
Video - Dna Hackers
Websites - Dna Hacking and You
edit on 16-12-2012 by Thorneblood because: Duh

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Instead of getting to the bottom of this
Everyone seems only interested in treating the symptoms instead of the cause.
What I am about to say is not directed at anyone in particular. So please don't take personal offense.
The problem is systemic; not only here at ATS but all across America.
People come to places like this saying they want to find the problem and they say they are seeking the truth. As if they would do something about it if they found it.
The truth has been published over and over again and it keeps getting trampled by the myriad opinions. You don't come here to find truth. You come here to speak. You come here to vent. People all across America will go to church this week asking why and seeking truth and lamenting the fact that all these things have befallen us.
But yet, when someone speaks the truth and tells the reasons, the response is negligible and impotent.
Very very few actually are seeking truth. This is entertainment. A place to speak and be heard. WE all want to shine with our intellectual prowess. It has not entered into ourselves to notice the truth and stop the debate. For it is only at that juncture that we can begin to reverse the tide and heal. But our wounds are incurable. We are a needy nation and a needy people, desperately needing to be saved from this reality we live in.
Do I have the truth? Yes! And individually, some of you may have it also. The truth is out there. The truth is all around. But the heart of men is not softened enough yet to receive it. I am weary with the whole dammned thing.
And a damned thing it is. Because we cannot come together under the truth. Is it any wonder that God is gonna whiddle the inhabitants of the earth down until a man is more precious that the golden wedge of Opher. I pray that you will find individual salvation today if you haven't already. It is available but you must humble yourself to receive it.

edit on 16-12-2012 by cantyousee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

That thread would be here..... www.abovetopsecret.com...

I will try and start it off. This is only my opinion, nothing more.

I believe if we look we will find that the kids doing these shootings may have the following in common.
Disconnected from society.
Parents who want to be "friends" instead of parents.
Little to no rules or structure in their lives.
Outcast.
A need for attention.
I could go on but as I said, these are just opinions.
I think you are doing a good thing with this thread and I will keep checking in on it. I would like to understand why this is a growing phenomenon. Hopefully some will have more insight than I do.

Thank-you
Quad

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Instead of getting to the bottom of this
Everyone seems only interested in treating the symptoms instead of the cause.

What I am about to say is not directed at anyone in particular. So please don't take personal offense.
The problem is systemic; not only here at ATS but all across America.
People come to places like this saying they want to find the problem and they say they are seeking the truth. As if they would do something about it if they found it.
The truth has been published over and over again and it keeps getting trampled by the myriad opinions. You don't come here to find truth. You come here to speak. You come here to vent. People all across America will go to church this week asking why and seeking truth and lamenting the fact that all these things have befallen us.
But yet, when someone speaks the truth and tells the reasons, the response is negligible and impotent.
Very very few actually are seeking truth. This is entertainment. A place to speak and be heard. WE all want to shine with our intellectual prowess. It has not entered into ourselves to notice the truth and stop the debate. For it is only at that juncture that we can begin to reverse the tide and heal. But our wounds are incurable. We are a needy nation and a needy people, desperately needing to be saved from this reality we live in.
Do I have the truth? Yes! And individually, some of you may have it also. The truth is out there. The truth is all around. But the heart of men is not softened enough yet to receive it. I am weary with the whole dammned thing.
And a damned thing it is. Because we cannot come together under the truth. Is it any wonder that God is gonna whiddle the inhabitants of the earth down until a man is more precious that the golden wedge of Opher. I pray that you will find individual salvation today if you haven't already. It is available but you must humble yourself to receive it.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Yes you would think that a person capable of such a heinous act would be THAT mentally far-gone right?...not just a loner that was bullied. I'm sure there are a million lonely, dejected, bullied people who.... like us, couldn't fathom this unthinkable crime.

Sorry I have been busy working all weekend and now I'm exhausted!! I can't wait to get these kids to bed tonight and read more of my ATS peeps posts in this thread. Thank you all for your contributions.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Thank you for the links. I will research further.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join