It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Student Snapping On Teacher For Not Teaching!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Children are SUPPOSED to learn that behavior AT HOME BEFORE they ever start school.

Those people behave like that because low behavior is tolerated and encouraged by their community.
edit on 12/15/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I'd like to believe it's a common effort of both parents and teachers to get children ready for a meaningful place in society....

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I don't believe society should be burdened with the majority of that responsibility. Parents have five to six years to lay a solid foundation. Without it there is nothing to build on.

There is a systematic failure by the principal parent, in a large number of households, in how these children are raised.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

agreed.

First and foremost the responsibilty lies with the parents but school also plays a great part in teaching children how to behave in a socially acceptable manner.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by iwilliam

Do you have a job? Are you employed?

in some situations, manners and civility are actually inappropriate and counterproductive to making one's point in a manner that is impactful.

If so, did you ever try this approach with your boss?

Granted, if you are defending some ideal, standing on a soap box and shouting to the world might make an impact.

School is also about learning appropriate social behavior. This young lady is not showing it.

Peace

There have been instances where I've raised my voice to an employer, yes, although normally I would not do so, and it would have to be pretty serious to get as loud as this girl. I'm not disagreeing that she was impolite, and I'm not saying she wasn't being "inappropriate" according to the rules of the school or typical social conventions.

However, I am saying that sometimes, when faced with an injustice, a response which violates social norms is not always uncalled for. You said it yourself, that the school is a place of learning. if this teacher was not teaching for whatever reason, he deserved the entire classroom standing up and yelling at him like that.

If that's what it takes in a situation like that, to deliver the message and have it felt then I'm all for it. Maybe if more disillusioned youths stood up and yelled like this, instead of pushing it down and just getting stepped on, and stepped on, and stepped on, we would see less violence and school-peer-initiated shootings. But I'll admit that last part is my own speculation.

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by grimreaper797

Oh no, boo hoo, here comes the bad neighborhood excuse again. Everybody feel bad for the childrensss.

Oh, P.S., those aren't children. They're animals.
edit on 12/15/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/15/2012 by PrplHrt because: Punkstuation

Care to tell us why that is?

I'm sure your comment has nothing to do with the color of their skin, or their socioeconomic background, right?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
There is never a time or place, in the workplace, in school, in public, when it is appropriate or acceptable to yell at anyone. Anyone who believes so is young and foolish or lacks serious social skills.

Disagreements should be handled behind closed doors with appropriate reps/witnesses and should be conducted with respect and decorum.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Initially, I want going to respond to your last comment, but now I am. YOU opened that door, not me. YOU.

Black, white, whatever. I've seen the behavior in all racial groups, but it predominates in white and black youth. White youth are negatively influenced by black music.

Consistently excelling academically are the Asians. There is a definite difference in their early lives which is reflected in their school years behavior. They are DISCIPLINED.

Are you happy you opened the door? Shall we dance?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

Initially, I want going to respond to your last comment, but now I am. YOU opened that door, not me. YOU.

Black, white, whatever. I've seen the behavior in all racial groups, but it predominates in white and black youth. White youth are negatively influenced by black music.

Consistently excelling academically are the Asians. There is a definite difference in their early lives which is reflected in their school years behavior. They are DISCIPLINED.

Are you happy you opened the door? Shall we dance?

Well, if I open the door for you, and dance, just don't expect anything by the end of the date.
And sure, i love to dance. But be forewarned I prefer that my partners not only keep pace, but step true. And yes, i brought the quesiton up, though I did so because I felt like it was implied in your previous comment.

I think to say it "predominates" in white and black youth is an untrue generalization. Perhaps in your experience. The largest city in my area, in which I used to live, had more latino gang members than black or white ones. Some asians, too. But that's nearly irrelevant to my point.

I think your saying that "White youth are negatively influenced by black music," is an even more unfair generalization. Had you said "gangster rap" instead of "black music" I would not entirely disagree with you. "Black music" is a very broad, generalized idea that includes many genres of music, of which gangster rap, or rap as a whole, is only a small part of. There is lots of black music that I don't feel to be detrimental to society. I will, however, concede that the line between what was once called "gangster rap" and other genres of "black music" is sometimes blurred more than it used to be.

I agree that the violent, narcissistic, disrespectful, egoistic message of a lot of modern popular music is damaging to society to one degree or another. However, what you're seeing in that video (and the other stuff I imagine you're thinking of) are not solely the effects of black culture. They are the effects of socioeconomic suppression and what I believe amounts to a subtle cultural warfare.

Ask yourself, who is it that owns the companies which produce and distribute vile gangster music? Are these companies owned by black men? In almost all cases, the answer to this question is "no."

Furthermore, it is not only "white youth" who is affected by this vile music.

Why do you mention "white" youth, and not just "youth?" Do you not care if young blacks are affected negatively by the messages in this music? I think the corruption of white kids by this stuff, while unfortunate, is an ironic and almost amusing consequence, as I believe this music was originally intended to help perpetuate not only a certain image of minorities, but also perpetuate a destructive cycle occurring in our nation's ghettos. (While lining the pockets of the companies' white owners) But now the white children have seen the poisoned candy, and they've begun to eat it too...

When I hear the complaints of racist people regarding blacks, most of the things they're complaining about are the direct effects of lack of money, lack of education, and lack of opportunity on a culture-- not a direct cultural byproduct. The "black" culture of the inner city we see in this country did not originate in africa. It originated in the poorest and most-difficult to live, most under-educated areas of our nation. There are innumerable black people who don't act like thugs, or under-educated fools. And they are this way because they either had better environment / opportunity, or they were somehow lucky / gifted / enough to overcome ghetto culture while living in its midst.

Regarding asians, this is a result of their differing education system. They don't skimp on paying for their kids' schooling. They don't cut the funding from certain school systems (coincidentally in areas where predominantly minorities live) and make certain groups suffer. That's why they're ahead in these regards. Further, there is an important cultural distinction. It is a mark of pride to be intelligent over there. Over here if you like to read more than watch television you're considered a "weirdo" or a "nerd."

You see a really hot blond woman. Really attractive, like a model. How intelligent do you think she is? Why do you feel that way? How about a football player? How smart is he? Which is cooler, a football player, or a physicist? Which profession is rewarded with more $ ?

We have been poisoning our own well. And that has nothing to do with race. It's almost understandable how some could think it is, given that it seems it's been orchestrated to look that way. But dig deeply enough into the issue, and you will see that race is only a small piece of a big and complex puzzle.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Best post I've read in a while.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I agree with the above comment, and want to say also that the other comment by reaper, reposted below, also perfectly compliments my big chunk of text above

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Because you see a person who lacks respect, I see a person who lacks an upbringing, and if we don't take heed to the reason why she was acting the way she was, that cycle just continues on.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Pressed for time so -

1. I didn't consider Latinos. There are none where I live and I'm familiar neither with their culture nor their music.

2. White youth being corrupted by garbage is not amusing, but now I know where your head is at.

3. Ghetto music is largely produced by ghetto types. Take a good look. It's been in the news recently. The ghetto subculture in music is being unmasked in the press as we speak. Drugs, gunrunning, you name it.

4. Asians in America exhibit the same values and excel academically in the same ways as their relatives in their home countries, so that argument goes right out the window.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Oh, P.S., those aren't children. They're animals.

Really? Because all I see in the video are human children. And other than the girl yelling and the 3 dreads throwing up gang signs everyone else is acting like "normal" people.

Of course, you're only calling them animals because they are poor black people.

edit on 16-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I don't wear rose-colored glasses.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

You view the world through racist and classist colored glasses.

I went to an inner-city school, none of my friends or family were/are animals.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

This is the United States. You are free to assume whatever you like.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join