It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadliest Mass Shootings Around The World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

But dude that was ONE event. You cannot compare one event with a regular occurrence and claim they are more violent.

A regular occurrence by different people indicates more people are violent, they just didn't get as "lucky" as your one example.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Awesome so now people are telling me what events count and what don't

People still died

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by ANOK

Awesome so now people are telling me what events count and what don't

People still died

The amount of events counts more than the amount of victims to indicate a pattern of violence in a population. Do you understand that? A large amounts of events indicates more people are violent. One event with a lot of victims just means they had more opportunity to take more victims, it doesn't mean their society is more violent.

edit on 12/14/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Recorded over a period of time that is currently being left out.

Gun violence has been on the decline that also does not take in to account population increases.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The article didn't but the fact is Giffords and others were shot at a political event.

So by your reasoning the cinema shooter must have hated movies and the mall shooter must have been against big business or just hated malls

People die all over the world but it is only bad because it is the US.

Yes people die all over the world but only in the Good ol US of A do we hear about mentally disturbed people going on shooting rampages several times a year

Nope some people just love to hate the Us and they will latch on to anything to validate that belief and there is nothing honest about that.

I dont hate the US, I pity it and fear it.

Pity because look how scared you all are, you need a gun to feel safe!!
Once again this is unique in western culture to your country

I fear it because you guys seem to import your love of weapons and warfare to the rest of the globe.

America should be a beacon of hope for all humanity due to your constitution which is almost peotic in its beauty but yet the only time you guys seem to worry about it being trampled on is when your guns are in danger of being taken away

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

So by your reasoning the cinema shooter must have hated movies and the mall shooter must have been against big business or just hated malls

Quote where I said that no wait I didn't

Yes people die all over the world but only in the Good ol US of A do we hear about mentally disturbed people going on shooting rampages several times a year

Yeah we hear about primarily people under 25 who go around shooting people so the point is?

I dont hate the US, I pity it and fear it.

Keep it because this American doesn't want it.

Pity because look how scared you all are, you need a gun to feel safe!! Once again this is unique in western culture to your country

As if you know what is running through anyones mind feel free to rational your own fear because as someone said:

I fear it because you guys seem to import your love of weapons and warfare to the rest of the globe.

I could say I pity those who believe that tripe but I don't because I could care less.

America should be a beacon of hope for all humanity due to your constitution which is almost peotic in its beauty but yet the only time you guys seem to worry about it being trampled on is when your guns are in danger of being taken away

Lot of nerve bring up the constitution considering a human rights comes from the creator not government out of reactionary fear.
edit on 15-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Quote where I said that no wait I didn't

You didnt say it but your assumption that the Gifford shooting was political was based on the fact it happened at a political rally. You implied the venue indicated the motivation

Yeah we hear about primarily people under 25 who go around shooting people so the point is?

My point which was quite clear was this only happens with any regularity in the US

Keep it because this American doesn't want it.

Want it or not its there

As if you know what is running through anyones mind feel free to rational your own fear because as someone said:

I only know what people tell me and the overwhelming majority of you want/need guns in case someone breaks into your home and tries to kill you or your family. Thats what you and all the other people who take your side have said.
That my friend is called living in fear

I could say I pity those who believe that tripe but I don't because I could care less.

The US is the most war prone country in 100's of years so how is it tripe?

Lot of nerve bring up the constitution considering a human rights comes from the creator not government out of reactionary fear.

I see, and where in the bible does Jesus say "thou shalt carry an AK 47?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

You didnt say it but your assumption that the Gifford shooting was political was based on the fact it happened at a political rally. You implied the venue indicated the motivation

That's right I didn't say it.

My point which was quite clear was this only happens with any regularity in the US

It happens all over the globe regularly but who cares.

I only know what people tell me and the overwhelming majority of you want/need guns in case someone breaks into your home and tries to kill you or your family. Thats what you and all the other people who take your side have said. That my friend is called living in fear

Funny that is why the call 9-11 to

he US is the most war prone country in 100's of years so how is it tripe?

What does that have to do with the op?

see, and where in the bible does Jesus say "thou shalt carry an AK 47?

Don't you mean constitution ?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That's right I didn't say it.

The article didn't but the fact is Giffords and others were shot at a political event.

You implied that since it was at a political event it was politically motivated

It happens all over the globe regularly but who cares.

Really

Name one country where lone gunman or students regularly go on shooting sprees for no reason?

What does that have to do with the op?

Its a symptom of your culture, guns, war, death are normal not taboo like cultures that are similar to yours

Don't you mean constitution ?

You seem to think its unimportant

Most of the people who argue your side use the constitution as their justification, I assumed when you wrote the above you were reffering to god

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Guns are no concern to me either and I live in the US.

It's funny to me people attack guns when these things happen. It's completely ignorant.

The situation: A mentally ill person uses guns to kill people in an environment that leaves those people without defense/cover.

Why, out of that equation, are only guns targeted? The inanimate object, is blamed, while mental illness and lack of protection/safety are disregarded? As I have said several times today, we can't predict the when, but we can always predict the where, because it's always a place where the attacker is least likely to be fired on.

Take away peoples right to protect themselves, and they will not be protected.
You cannot make guns illegal it's retarded to think so. I mean, heroin, coc aine, both illegal, both readily available day and night in every city in America. America's problems are not caused by guns, they are caused by poor mental healthcare, and impediment of individual rights.

Also, it's worth mentioning that a large portion of these crimes are committed with illegal guns. This most recent shooting, and the one the other day in that Oregon mall both involved stolen guns. We have a nation full of legal gun owners, yet almost none of them ever commit a crime.
edit on 15-12-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Shouldn't a person be careful what the say to us crazy Americans?

According to some we are liable to go on shooting sprees, and all that rubbish

After all we are violent .
edit on 15-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

So then tell me why in countries like Australia, England and Canada where you are all correct if you really want a gun you can get one, are there not shooting sprees a few times a year?

And the Illegal guns you mention, what makes them Illegal? is it perhaps that they were stolen from legal owners?

Can you seriously not see that guns being everywhere and an accepted part of your society is the main factor in these killings?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

They are not the main factor in these killings. That is completely ignorant. The main factor is obviously mental illness. There are shooting sprees in those countries. They have smaller populations than us as well.

Also, guns don't matter, could be bombs or knives, etc. Disarmed people are in greater danger by far.
Guns really are not the problem, it's common sense.

Another point you are wrong about. They aren't accepted everywhere. If they were schools and planes and malls and theatres would be safer. If Americans were more comfortable around guns it would be safer.

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

They are not the main factor in these killings. That is completely ignorant. The main factor is obviously mental illness. There are shooting sprees in those countries. They have smaller populations than us as well.

Also, guns don't matter, could be bombs or knives, etc. Disarmed people are in greater danger by far.
Guns really are not the problem, it's common sense.

Another point you are wrong about. They aren't accepted everywhere. If they were schools and planes and malls and theatres would be safer. If Americans were more comfortable around guns it would be safer.

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Ok so if its a mental illness and population size thing why doesnt the UK with 1/5 your population and very similar numbers of mental illness have rampages every few months?
No country in whatever way you stack it has a comparable number of shooting rampages.

To think that easy access to guns doesnt play a major part is ignorant

As to Franklin, What if I want the freedom to walk around without every moron having a gun? The fact that the country has more guns than people, I would consider that a threat to my security and so would pretty much everyone else in the civilised world.

Anyway this has been fun but Ive been debating this for about 6 hrs now and unfortunately I have stuff to do. Any other responses will have to wait till tomorrow.

Cheers
edit on 15/12/2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I would say that the UK has much better healthcare options, and a much smaller population, and I would say they have sacrificed far too much. I mean they are under more surveilance than any other country in the world.

Also, the media plays a huuuge part in this. Look at the Port Arthur Massacre (worst spree killing in history i think). It cost Australia all self loading weapons and has been thought to be a copycat after the dunblane massacre a few weeks prior had given huge amounts of attention to the perpetrator. I think the Port Arthur Massacre was an instance where civilians with guns could have stopped the perpetrator. The people were trapped and had no chance of escape, he didn't need a semi automatic rifle, or a gun at all. Not one went for him when he reloaded etc. If one person in that cafe (or outside the cafe) had had a gun I think he could have been stopped sooner. He also had mental problems and an incredibly low iq. You can blame guns all you want, but the actions of a few shouldn't infringe on the rights of everyone. I don't think anyone walks around afraid for their lives because of guns. These cases aren't that common. I mean people still get in their cars every morning.

More good people have guns than bad people. Bad people will always get them, and they will always target people that they don't think have them.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The better point to me is the true worst mass shootings were not done by lone madmen, the worst atrocities are and have always been perpetrated by governments. all the lone gunman sprees combined is small in comparison to the number killed by states. I think it's helpful to remember who has the better track record on keeping arms peacefully, individuals or states? I think the record on that is fairly clear.
edit on 15/12/2012 by ForkandSpoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by ANOK

Recorded over a period of time that is currently being left out.

Gun violence has been on the decline that also does not take in to account population increases.

It doesn't make much difference America is so far ahead of anyone else.

It hasn't been declining where I live. You shouldn't believe what the MSM tells you.

Mark Follman, a senior editor at Mother Jones magazine who is gathering data about large-scale gun massacres in the United States, pointed out that the number and severity of mass shootings in America has been rising in recent years, with roughly 30 percent of the worst shootings occurring within the last seven years.

Oakland Effect: How the media covers gun violence

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I am not for gun control personally, but we cannot dismiss the fact that since the expiration of the AWB in 04, that the number of shootings have doubled.

It is odd that prior to the ban that numbers weren't as high as they are now also. Is it that there are just more people per area and that it's a numbers game? Are people more prone to violence today? Is it the games (vomit), is it the RX that so many people are on?

Something is definitely different today than it was only 30 years ago.
election.princeton.edu...

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
I am not for gun control personally, but we cannot dismiss the fact that since the expiration of the AWB in 04, that the number of shootings have doubled.

But are you sure the ban was the cause?

Take this evaluation of the Australian gun ban. The claim was crime went up after the ban, but the reality is the crime trend was not effected by the ban as it was in a upward clime that remained steady and unchanging.

Looking at the graph of the Australian assault rates from 1991 through 2004, it appears that something bad was at work in Australia until near the end of that period. The assault rate increased every year at a high rate. (And, in fact, for many years preceding.) Note, too, that the rates do not vary much from the basic trend. This means that the data are not affected by chance as much as it is by underlying causes. The relationship seen is a reliable one....

...The ban/buyback did not have a definite effect of any kind on the assault rate—neither improving it nor making it worse.

www.gunsandcrime.org...

Don't trust what they tell you, it may not be the whole truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join