It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy of Gun Control Advocates

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider

Does that include police killings?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I can't argue with you there.

But on the gun control issue alone they have agreed to allow reasonable regulations.

I think it's a shame that so many people jump on the band wagon after these

What about all the hundreds of homeless kids that die from starvation each year?

What about thousands of innocent kids killed by bombing other countries?

What about the hundreds of kids shot in the ghetto?

Where is the outrage for all of those tragedies?

Yep. That's the side of the coin that traditionally the rabid NRA member and Fox News pundit refuses to wrap their heads around. If "people kill people"...then we MUST look at our SOCIAL policies to find out precisely what it is about living in the United States that makes such a disproportionate amount of people go insane and start spraying a crowd with assault weapons.

My hypothesis is that it it's centered around a culture where approximately 50% of the population considers "Utopia" to be a culture which accepts that it's perfectly fine with letting children starve to death in the streets because their parents don't have as much money as some third generation silver-spooner who inherited their station in life from their daddy.

It never ceases to amaze me how a society that cares SO LITTLE for their fellow citizens is surprised when one of them finally goes nuts and starts shooting the place up. Sure...it happened in Norway not to long ago and they have EXCELLENT social programs...but at least it was an abnormal event. Since the "disgruntled postal workers" in the '90's starting flipping out I don't think we have gone more than two years at a time without some sort of killing spree like this. It's just part of daily life in the good ol' US of A.

Only when a bunch of rich white kids are killed and it's plastered all over the media.

That's when all these squawkers start popping out of the wood works shouting bloody murder.

NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!

When innocent BLACK civilians get gunned down in drive-by shootings it's "their fault"...when it happens to rich white people in Norman Rockwellsville...it's a "tragedy".

Ironically a whole lot (but certainly not all) of the NRA fans ALSO refuse to acknowledge the reality of just how endemic this sort of racism STILL IS in our society.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM

Originally posted by Spacespider

Does that include police killings?

EXACTLY!!

...and that NEEDS TO BE a BIG part of the discussion surrounding gun control. If the people are going to be required to do some measure of disarming...then THE POLICE MUST ALSO DO SO!!

Realistically...I would start with taking away their chemical weapons, electroshock torture devices, and riot gear BEFORE taking away their service pistols. Yes they are "less lethal" measures...but that ALSO means they are more frequently deployed.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
A friend of mine wrote and posted this on facebook...

"To all the people that stress "time out" and "spanking is no good", I hold you personally responsible for the murder of those innocent children today. Sleep well, knowing all the lives that were lost today, is your fault."

I tend to agree with him. I know, not think, I know we have had a breakdown in morals and society, letting our children pretty much raise themselves, doing drugs in front of them, using all the stuff the OP said (videos music and video games) as babysitters. It's not the guns, it's the individuals that have flipped out, by Drugs (Legal Drugs) and learned behavior (which is no behavior at all) mostly, and the crap that comes out of the TV screen. You want to blame........ look in the mirror. See what your turning your back and abandoning God has wrought.
There will be more. There will be a time when the unbalanced almost equal the balanced and act out their behaviors with abandon. This is just the beginnings of pain, as more minds are destroyed with fluoride, vaccinations, Ritalin and mind altering drugs, the more zombies that big pharma creates. Believe me, this is whats in store in the years ahead. And it's not pretty, and I think it's proceeding to the point of no return....... and it didn't have to be this way.That's the biggest Loss.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
reply to post by Spacespider

Interesting picture ya got there. What is the relationship to each countries population? There are 330 million here...how many In Finland? Germany?

Your attempt to paint a picture is fail. Fatal crime in the ratio of population is the indicator...not just raw numbers...nice try.

Well...assuming that there are still more than 591,523 people in the nation of Finland...the results are still wildly disproportionate.

(HINT: The population of Finland is 5,262,930. That means that there is STILL 8.9 TIMES MORE GUN DEATHS PER CAPITA).

...nice try, as you put it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
A friend of mine wrote and posted this on facebook...

"To all the people that stress "time out" and "spanking is no good", I hold you personally responsible for the murder of those innocent children today. Sleep well, knowing all the lives that were lost today, is your fault."

That's a bold statement considering we don't know anything at all about how this kid was raised. What if Mom used to spank her kid all the time? Maybe THAT'S why he went nuts?

It seems to me your buddy is just looking for an excuse to hit his kids some more.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner
Arent the people that own guns for protection the ones living in fear?

Any country in Europe or UK has lower gun crime than America. Lower deaths from guns. Way lower. People in Europe and the UK are not so very afraid of criminals I guess.

Do American's really think they can overthrow a government that has the largest military in the world? Thats stupid.

Isnt the American Government already tyrannical?

The weaker the mind, the larger the gun !

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
Only Americans feel the need to own lots of guns. It's because your society is broken. Whether it's society or guns, YOU have a big problem. These mass shootings happen in other countries once decade (if that). In American it's every 3-4 months.

But sure, keep advocating for gun freedoms, keep living in a violent, broken society where you are free.....to die at the hands of a gunman.

I'd rather be shot to death rather than stabbed to death or some other twisted way they would kill me because they don't have a firearm. Stabbing's hurt alot worse than gunshots.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

A psycho with a knife and a psycho with multiple hand guns, rifles maybe a shotgun as seems to be the case. Which one is going to be making double figure kills?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I wish I could give you more than one star!!

My stepson had mental issues. We kept guns in the house. We made DAMN sure he had ZERO access to them! Instead he was found keeping a knife and a flashlight under his pillow. We pulled the knife and locked up all the knives in the house, including steak and butter! Next he started hoarding screwdrivers. We put all the tools in the shop and put a padlock on the door. For those who are wondering, yes, he was being treated by the best psychiatrist in the state, who also told us that had it been 30 years earlier he'd have suggested a trip to the wood shed! Yes, he really said that!

Parents are so afraid of harming their child's psyche that they actually wind up destroying them. This is the "no spank" generation that is going ballistic and committing insane acts. Actions have consequences and sometimes those consequences hurt. I'd rather it was their bottom, early in life, than another person later in life!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
They really seem like a bunch of hypocrites. Blinded by their emotions and looking for a scapegoat to vent their frustrations, which are based on fear, and the false perception that more gun control would solve the problem of angry or psychotic people from carrying out their acts of violence against innocent civilians.

You know what I find more hypocritical?

You say that those wanting gun control are driven by fear and are hypocrites, but the pro-gun lobby uses fear to push their agenda. You support the holding of guns because you are terrified that someone will break in and kill you, or you're delusional enough to think that you'll be able to overpower the US military in a revolution - guns against hundreds of thousands of armed and trained marines, fighter jets, drones and intel...

Do you know the meaning of the word "scapegoat"?

A scapegoat is someone falsely accused of a crime, in these instance we KNOW who committed the crime, a crazy person or people with massively powerful weapons able to be legally purchased. This is not a scapegoat, this is fact.

The pro-gun lobby is at a watershed moment.

In my mind it comes down to two types of people.

There are those who will resolutely defend their right to own a gun that they will never have a genuine use for, and no number of dead children will persuade them that they are being sickeningly selfish.
And then there are those who know that if the guns are not in the hands of killers, they cannot be used to kill.

It's a simple as that. Americans need to make up their minds and decide which side they are on. I find it completely disgusting that any Human can justify owning a weapon after this. If someone can see this happen to little children, and STILL be preaching BS about an outdated piece of paper and their "rights" to be able to own a piece of metal, there is something psychologically wrong with them.

I'm gonna tell it like it is, and I don't care if this upsets any gun-totin' Republicans on here... if I was an American with kids right now, I would be seriously thinking about the people in my life. This is such an emotive event, that if anyone I knew was pro gun, I would be keeping my family away from them. Not because I would be scared for the safety of my children, but because I would not feel confident that they are mentally stable.

I do not understand how a Human can see this happen, and still stamp their feet and cry like little biaches about their precious right to own a scrap of metal. The priorities of that kind of Human would have me questioning their morality, their Humanity and the safety of those around them.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
reply to post by Spacespider

Interesting picture ya got there. What is the relationship to each countries population? There are 330 million here...how many In Finland? Germany?

Your attempt to paint a picture is fail. Fatal crime in the ratio of population is the indicator...not just raw numbers...nice try.
55 million in england/wales, 39 kills. USA has about 6 times more people so if they were killing the same number per capita it would be approx 240, but its 9,484. The numbers clearly speak for themselves. It would seem that humans want to kill way more than their available weaponry allows. Give them more and better weapons and they kill a lot more people. The average family doesn't need the means to kill multiple people easily at the flick of a switch. The idea is alien, am I really on the same planet where this is considered a sensible requirement for daily living? Maybe it would be prudent to reconsider this "right" as a necessity or a wise thing.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Jargonaut because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2012 by Jargonaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The individuals who commit crimes such as the shootings at the malls and schools are ones that are a very sinister nature.

They show that there is a problem in society. Banning guns does not change that behavior. The problem will still exist.

The true problem lies in what we show children and what kind of environment they grow up in.

Banning guns will not solve that problem, looking at society and changing our ways will.

Our country is violent. Look at our entertainment. It is all very violent. Adults who know better are able to handle it but very young children are not and when they grow up they grow up with very violent images in their head. Look at video games and movies. Many glorify sociopath behavior. Children watch this, and think it is cool.

yes many will not want to accept this... as this is said to be freedom of speech and expression but it does affect young children and all the garbage they see and read as they grow up warp them into the killers you see shooting up your schools today

of course many of you will dismiss this and say it is nonsense yet companies pay obscene amounts of money on advertisement to have you buy products and services. Movies manipulate trends in clothing and language yet anything negative and violent in these mediums are said not to affect peoples behaviors.

IT does but you are all in denial. It is just an inconvenience to see what the true problem is because we would have to change so much in our society.

so we ban guns and not address the actual problem.

we are like fat people who would rather ban certain kinds of foods instead of just changing your eating habits and showing some self control.

edit on 15-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Banning guns does not change that behavior. The problem will still exist.
Banning guns will not solve that problem, looking at society and changing our ways will.
all the garbage they see and read as they grow up warp them into the killers you see shooting up your schools today
so we ban guns and not address the actual problem.

we are like fat people who would rather ban certain kinds of foods instead of just changing your eating habits and showing some self control.

edit on 15-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

I cut out the relevant points. You are wrong. Nobody is suggesting that banning guns will make people non violent. What we're saying is that if this person was armed with a knife instead of a gun, they might not even have completed their first murder, nevermind 20+ more.

Reducing access to extremely powerful long range weaponry designed soley for killing is a prudent and effective move.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
They show that there is a problem in society. Banning guns does not change that behavior. The problem will still exist.

Nonsense.

Nuclear weapons are not in the hands of citizens, correct? We have not seen a Nuclear terrorist attack. If Nuclear weapons could be bought at the local Wal Mart, you know for a fact that we would have seen Armageddon by now.

The number of guns available in the USA has a direct bearing on the number of atrocities carried out with those guns. To suggest that having fewer guns would not decrease the instances of these atrocities is ignorance at its finest.

Fewer guns in the population means that fewer guns exist and fewer guns can be fired. It is a mathematical certainty that this will result in fewer gun related atrocities.

This is a mathematical fact.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I was hoping that your OP might have shown a substantial argument. I feel I was let down. Maybe this whole problem is bigger than just gun control. Maybe, there are MANY contributing factors one of which is gun control. Possibly, the only way to stop these types of events is to not just look at ONE point ie gun control. But to look at and ACT on many fronts.

Yeas ago, a bloke called Martin Bryant killed a bunch of people in Tasmania. since then, Australia has tightened up on its gun laws. At first I was dead against it. But I have come to the conclusion that I think they were right in doing so. The arguments like "guns don't kill people, people kill people" and "if someone really wants a gun they will find one no matter what" and "more people are killed by drunk drivers than by guns" are, imo, all distractions. The average joe blow looking for a gun, or lots of guns and ammo would stand out like a sore big toe in a pair of thongs (flip flops) if nobdy could simply walk in and by guns and ammo.

Possibly, the ego of the people wanting to keep their 2nd (?) ammendment should be looked at.

Even at risk of being called a hypocrite for changing my stance on this from years ago, I feel that there is a very strong case for gun control. And please, don't bring up the NWO and tptb coming to get us. It's a nice fantacy but possibly the reality is we are all here on earth and some people are successful (known now as tptb) and some aren't. It's always the unsuccessful that are going on about tptb. How many successful, rich or even moderately well off people are carrying on with these ideas, not many if any I'd hazzard a guess. By the way, no, I'm not rich, well off or even able to finish our house. Heck, we even have to walk 50m to go to the dunny and our house has no internals, including walls, insulation, bathroom, inside dunny, plumbing, or even electricity.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

In addition there have been reports of rabid gun control advocates not only owning guns but carrying concealed. Quite out of character and hypocrital for them to carry guns for self defense but to oppose it for everyone else.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

What is the break down by race?
Just wondering.......

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by milominderbinder

What is the break down by race?
Just wondering.......

Why exactly would it matter? Pretty suspicious question you're posing there.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join