It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy of Gun Control Advocates

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kingmonkey

Your average disgruntled joe can look it up nowadays on the googles in 30 seconds flat and build it in 20 minutes.
So....incorrect.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
What we are talking about is regulation. Per usual we have the two polar opposites being presented as the only options. Either no guns whatsoever or no regulation period. I for one am sick and tired of listening to NRA talking points being regurgitated endlessly.

I am fairly sure most sane individuals have certain limits to what would be an appropriate accessible level of firepower. For instance most people I believe would think it not appropriate that I be allowed to purchase a mini gun and mount it on my Prius for personal protection. Now a mini gun can fire around 4,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute. That would be up to 100 separate bullets per second being fired from this gun. Now I am sure that kind of firepower gives many gun nuts a stiffy but frankly does average individual need this kind of firepower? Ofcourse guns were much different in 1776. How about RPG's? The NRA is an industry mouthpiece meant to make sure their product will continue to produce huge profits for the manufacturers of these "tools".

Now I used to enjoy blowing things up with firecrackers when I was a kid. Should I be permitted to purchase hand grenades or shoulder launched missiles for my entertainment? The logic of the deregulation libertarians fails completely on this issue. There is a line and we need to discuss and decide where that line should be drawn.

Oh and by the way I don't think gun control alone will solve this problem. We need background checks and licensing for gun purchases. A minimal level of competency should be mandated for the ownership of firearms.

However the mental health system in the U.S. needs serious investment. Basic first aid is taught in schools from an early age. Basic mental health should be taught as well. This might help kids and adults recognize the signs of serious mental issues and get them help before they harm themselves or others.

Also the media and entertainment industry and the culture of violence needs a look as well. Too much to type on this topic. One thing that seems obvious is the "news" is giving these losers a place to make a name for themselves and that encourages others to get their fame or importance by committing these heinous crimes.

Just my 2 cents...fire away.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Good post and I agree with you.

Lot's of good comments from everyone.

I hope that both sides of this issue can begin to find some middle ground.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

I hear what your saying.. but

Why isn't it a violent society to blame? Why isn't it a war mongering government to blame? Why isn't it the fault of violent video games? Or violent music? Why not the bullies in school? Abusive parents, relatives or neighbours? Why just guns? Why aren't all the other factors being considered as the cause of these tragedies?

Because none of those things are in our control!

You cannot change or blame TV, because there are many aspects of tv genre's.
If you want to look at violent video games, then you'd best look at the internet too while you’re at it. And history books, IE WW2. Lets just ban everything.. wait a sec, the guns and psychopathic med'heads will still be the same people!

Automatic weapons in the hands of common folk is completely outrageous. Seriously, people harp on about their 2nd amendment rights. Do you honestly believe when that law was bought in, that they foresaw automatic weapons that can fire over 100rounds a second? Its an out dated law, the only people who argue tooth and nail for it are the psychopathic weirdo’s who enjoy stroking their guns. If you want protection, put a baseball bat under your bed.
Buy a pistol a simple old fashioned pistol.

You will never convince me that having automatic rifles in the home for protection is justified.

Unfortunately, the USA is so greedy and psychopathic you've allowed the KKK.. whoops I mean the NRA to buy politicians.

I say, find out where all the NRA lobby's kids go to school, do a mock massacre and watch how quickly they change 'their' tune!

The 2nd Amendment needs to catch up with modern times.
If women can be given permission to vote,
If slavery can be abolished,
If other laws can be modified and removed, then this is no different.

sadly, you’ve supplied so many guns and bullets to the psychopathic people, that even if you changed the laws.. you'll still have a decade of massacres before it started taking effect.

reap what you sew America!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner
Arent the people that own guns for protection the ones living in fear?

Any country in Europe or UK has lower gun crime than America. Lower deaths from guns. Way lower. People in Europe and the UK are not so very afraid of criminals I guess.

Do American's really think they can overthrow a government that has the largest military in the world? Thats stupid.

Isnt the American Government already tyrannical?

Here in Australia we had gun control forced upon us after the flase flag known as Port Arthur. Yet since then, we have had the media tell us we have a "knife epidemic", we have had a series of tit-for-tat shootings amongst bikie gangs which apparently were using stolen guns, and we have had a dramatic rise in the amount of viticms of 'glassing' attacks [smashing a beer glass in someones face], but apparently we are now a SAFER society due to the gun control.

But ever since the gun laws came into Australia, its been right after right slowly stirpped away at a slow enough speed that the average person cannot make the connection and see the pattern until its too late. And when the last right is finally taken from us, the ones that will be screaming for help the most, will be those that supported the gun control the most. But irony usually works in funny ways so i'm not in the least suprised.

Whether you agree with guns or not matters little, as someone that wants to harm another will ALWAYS find another means of doing so, knives [do we ban all knives including cutlery], glassing [do we ban all drinking glasses], baseball bat [do we ban all sporting items that may be used as a weapon]. What you have to accept is, guns are the peoples LAST form of defence, or protest against a corrupt government, which was one of the main reasons it was included into the US Constitution to begin with. It was a last resort for keeping the bastards honest. PLEASE never lose sight of this regardless of your stance on this gun control issue.

The powers that be know this, and thats why the "random" shootings will keep happening at a not so random rate until the laws are passed. The powers that be KNOW that without being armed, you are defenceless and at their FULL mercy. A knife, glass or baseball bat may be fine against another one or two enemies, but when its being used for defence against a Government the size of the US Government, then a gun is much more effective than a knife, glass or bat. And considering those that will be coming to round you up in the near future will have fully automatic guns trained on you, then another gun is the only real form of defence.

The gun control laws were attempted to be passed in Australia several years before the Port Arthur shootings, yet when it was over turned in Parliament, the then NSW Premier Barry Unsworth stood up and said ON RECORD, that "we will never have uniform gun laws in Australia until we have a massacre in Tasmania". Just a few years later we had the Port Arthur shootings [in TASMANIA], and in came the gun control laws that we have today based on that shooting. That would be the equivalent of the Governor of California saying 2 years before 9/11 that we will never have the Terrorist Act until planes fly into buildings in New York, then 2 years later planes hit the buildings in New York, Terrorist Act passed and mission accomplished. Thats either the biggest coincidence in history, OR...........its ALL pre-planned for a final outcome. But most people can't see the final outcome because they are to caught up arguing amongst themsleves about each individual incident, rather then seeing that the individual incidences are actually linked for a final outcome.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

guns yes,

Not automatic weapons that you can purchase on the street corner.

the law was written in a very different time. No amount of automatic weapons will stop the United States Govenrment turning curropt, because doing something 'hitler' style is old school. They simply rob your institutions, addict you all to debt, Tv and chemically enhanced food then sit back and watch you dumb yourselves to a level that you never quesiton the government.

Guns didnt save america when they did that (Bush)... so what makes you think they will help now ?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I place the blame on the crazy guy who did this.

Unless this was a conspiracy and there is more to this whole thing.

The blame is 99.9% the shooters fault.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Mentally disabled and crazy are different, also I cannot say that every massacre in the US has been done by a 'crazy' or mentally disabled person.

America is rotting from its youth down! Gun control is just one aspect of this mess. Imagine if this crazy persons family was only ever allowed to purchase handguns? If I saw someone shooting kids and this person had an automatic weapon i would hide. If I saw he had a pistol, id have a go at him, cause more often than not a single pistol round can be survivable!

America needs to address the following if it wants to stop these massacres

1. Chemically enhanced fast food and addiction
2. Saturation of Internet and TV on kids
3. Constant TV commercials for medication and 'syndromes'
4. Greed and War
5. Decay of Social Structure and unemployment

I hate to say this, because my heart bleeds for the families of the kids who aren’t coming home.
but America..

you reap what you sow!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

You know as well as I do that anyone can belong to a pistol club or rifle club after a crim check. We can purchase firearms for that purpose and those of us that live on farms can apply for and get a licence for firearms from protection against dingoes or pigs etc. False flag by Bryant blahhh Where's your proof? You seem to me to be a scare monger. How many more multiple deaths like port arthur have there been ???? None by my recollection (sp)

Regarding knives and glassing, do we have semi automatic knives or glasses? sounds stupid hey? Well knives and glasses won't give the multiple deaths like any sort of semi automatic weapon. Maybe you should bring up bombs. oops none of those either.

I do agree with you that if someone wants to do harm then they will find a way, but without guns and rifles, it seems to have collared any multiple deaths here.

What more rights do you want? We have an amazing country where we don't have to worry about cops storming our house over ATO (australian tax office - equivalent to irs for yanks reading this) problems like has happened over in the usa. We aren't losing our rights. If we are, prove me wrong. show me a list of the rights we have lost.

Regarding tptb, I know this is a conspiracy website, but give me a break. Ever heard of the boy who called wolf? If people put EVERYTHING on tptb, then when things are suspicious, no one will take any notice when something actually is. same as any UFO of other unexplained event. TOO MANY people are squealing over any event and linking it to a "cause" that they are promoting. Do you people realise that you are doing MORE HARM than good to any such cause?

Let's try to get a bit real. Maybe this should be the hypocracy of crying wolf.

Just my thoughts

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LPOPranger

I prefer KFC to subway.

I suppose Americans would have stood there and punched those bombs right back up at the Germans

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

but America.. you reap what you sow!

the country is the victim of a hostile takeover that has ruined our economy, brainwashed our children, got us into war after war and forced their wills on countries all over the planet, often against the wishes of the people. and then we try to vote them out and just get the same thing all over again. suggesting this is the fault of the entire country is like blaming black people for their skin color or peacocks for their feathers.
edit on 17-12-2012 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

Your logic is flawed. The figures you quoted are not actual figures, they are a percentage (ie per 100,000) and this is what allows a direct comparison to be made. If there were five times more people who had five times more guns and five times more people were killed overall the 'per 100,000' figure would still be 1.23 as you quoted. If actual UK figures were compared with actual US figures America would look even worse but that would be unfair because the population is so much higher.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
To all you talking about automatic weapons in America and that they should be illegal. I don't know what part of the US you think we can walk around with a mini gun but I live in the state of Kentucky and automatic weapons are illegal here. Get caught with something like that and it's 10 years in prison.

Our access to weapons is already regulated. It'd take a lawyer to decipher the fully written laws in states like California and DC. When I purchased my semi auto 3 years ago, I went through a background check and that weapon is registered to me. I now plan to trade it in for a revolver. Even though its kept under lock and key, it's just too much weapon for home defense.

A 410 shotgun with light loads is best. It won't penetrate walls as easily.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Space Monkey Mafia
To all you talking about automatic weapons in America and that they should be illegal. I don't know what part of the US you think we can walk around with a mini gun but I live in the state of Kentucky and automatic weapons are illegal here. Get caught with something like that and it's 10 years in prison.

Our access to weapons is already regulated. It'd take a lawyer to decipher the fully written laws in states like California and DC. When I purchased my semi auto 3 years ago, I went through a background check and that weapon is registered to me. I now plan to trade it in for a revolver. Even though its kept under lock and key, it's just too much weapon for home defense.

A 410 shotgun with light loads is best. It won't penetrate walls as easily.

I'm sure that makes it a lot better, that your laws in one state ban the semis. I'm sure nobody would go to another state and buy one. Like that could never happen. Hence the need for country wide laws.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Labrynth2012
Confiscation of Guns would make the founding fathers roll over in their graves. They gave us the 2nd Amendment so that :

0. We could hunt for food
1. We could defend ourselves
2. We could defend our families
3. We could defend our country
4. We could defend our property
5. We could take down TYRANTS and TYRANNY.

It looks like the "tyrants" did a number on you, because you obviously believe all that stuff, and some of this is really laughable. You've been brainwashed into the state of believing that dogma.

It's 21 century out there. Guns kept at home are quite irrelevant for defending the homeland. Seriously. Nukes and drones are relevant, but you won't find one in your garage. So chill.

And hunting for food... What fraction of the US population depends on hunting to put food on the table?

And that fetish with Founding Fathers needs to go. They deserve all the respect and all, but my guess is they would cringe if they read what you wrote. Also that part where "they gave us" the 2nd as if it were a tablet given to Moses by a burning bush. Just so stupid.

edit on 17-12-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by kingmonkey

Your average disgruntled joe can look it up nowadays on the googles in 30 seconds flat and build it in 20 minutes.
So....incorrect.

Examples please?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Its real simple people. I have a gun. My father, brother, grandfather, uncle, brother-in-law, cousins all have guns. Not one of them is dangerous to anyone.

Why do I have one? Well a few years back, before I did get one, we had someone snooping around our house, peeking in on my girlfriend when she was home alone. Not just once or twice. There was evidence and suspicion that the person kept returning to our home. We lived out in the country.

Early one morning this person came around and I ran outside to confront him. It was dark and I could only see the person's silhouette as he ran back and stood in the edge of the woods. Not knowing how dangerous he was or if he was armed I decided not to pursue and stayed back at the house. Well, he calmly pulled out a cigarette and proceeded to smoke it while watching me. I called the police.

While I waited for the police (twenty minutes - no lie!) this guy just walked slowly into the woods and disappeared.

By the time the sheriff's deputy came out the guy was long gone. The deputy asked if I had a gun and when I said no he said "Get one!"

I got to tell you its not a very secure feeling knowing your in the middle of nowhere with some creep watching you and your family and the nearest gun (police) is twenty minutes away. I can tell you my phone was hardly threatening to this guy.

My gun gives me at least the possibility of defense in such a situation that I would not otherwise have. I have a gun because we do not live in a perfect world where all people are good people.

P.S. After some talking with some people in the area we came to suspect that this person was actually a neighbor (someone who lived on the other side of the woods) and a relative of the friend of the family. Anyway I let everyone know that I got a gun and would be ready if the person should return. Word spread like I thought it would and the person never came back. See guns also act as a deterrent.

edit on 17-12-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don't know if anybody has posted this but it is interesting that Connecticut is call "The Constitution state" and sadly the recent tragedy in that state may very much change the state into the "anti Constitution state" as the anti gun monkeys in the white house seek to end the US rights to guns and they will love to step into the constitution and erase that amendment

Just something I find interesting people.
edit on 17-12-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Everytime I have to have a conversation with an anti-gun nut, I leave them with this:
There have been just as many people murdered with knives, so I guess the gubment better make owning knives illegal, and start a program where they give money to whomever brings their knives to uncle sham. All knives need to be accounted for.

That's how rediculous gun control is. Those bullets didn't jump into that gun themselves. And anyone with a family member with a mental illness should always have their guns locked in a gun case. How did these people leave a semi-auto weapon just laying around, along with the high-end handguns?????? If you own guns, keep them locked up in a gun cabinet or you are responsible for whatever crimes that are comitted with those guns. The parents---the owners of the guns, are responsible for this massacre /story.

Don't try and take my guns just because some yuppie broke the golden rule and left guns out for their mentally ill son to go kill a buncha people. Don't try and take my guns because some idiots in inner cities off each other everyday because of their culture. I'll be keeping my guns thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
as the anti gun monkeys

Well since you set THIS tone in the discussion, I believe I'm at liberty to blurt out something like "gun-loving trailer trash retards".

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join