It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury awards $24 million to boy paralyzed in LAPD shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You want to talk about gun control? Here is something to really talk about. The ones that abuse the right to carry and kill and then hide behind a well financed bureaucracy to protect them. Makes me want to puke.

A jury Friday handed down a $24-million verdict against the Los Angeles Police Department for the shooting of a teenage boy who was playing with a replica gun. His injury left him paralyzed.

The award is believed to be the largest sanction ever against the LAPD for a single event and perhaps the largest of any kind against the department. It comes as the LAPD is trying to stem the number of costly lawsuits brought against it.

The case centered on a December 2010 encounter, in which Officer Victor Abarca and his partner were on patrol in the city's Glassell Park neighborhood shortly before 8 p.m., according to police records.

The officers, who told investigators they were in search of graffiti and gang activity, came upon 13-year-old Rohayent Gomez and two of his friends on a street.

link

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Nice to see justice prevail every once in a while.

S&F

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is exactly why citizens need guns.

They need guns to protect them from the criminals and they need guns to protect themselves from the police. It is a sad sad world.

P

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yes it is sad when you can't trust the police. They are the ones that are supposed to "protect and serve" yet I see little of that. I suppose there are more good cops than bad but what I see on the internet sure makes me doubt that premise.

Who is supposed to protect us from the protectors?

link   

triple post sorry
edit on 15-12-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

link   

triple post. sorry
edit on 15-12-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

You Are! That's who!

If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly;
you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival.
There may even be a worse case.
You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

Sir Winston Churchill.

P

top topics

join