It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head's up Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and points northeast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thanks for your reply.. Uhm what I meant by asking was about the jet stream was more in a direct manner, then a "could it be that...." I was hoping you said sure I connect these two maps with each other and now we see why the winds are here...

The jet stream well streams around the globe so obviously it is connected to Russia and Europe too.
I mentioned Russia mainly because of this : The Stratosphere And How It Affects The Weather but I can't seem to find the maps of higher altitudes only the 30hpa is available on that site (link)

Thanks for the link btw, i remember 2 years when it became really cold I wanted to check but I couldn’t find some good ones.. You got a link for the northern hemisphere too? I would like to see its totality

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

LOL, that's the kind of winds we get out here. Yesterday was nuts, I had to push extra hard just to open our front door (it faces south). I imagine if I had one of those flying suits (like a flying squirrel), I could stretch out and fly all the way into Oklahoma within an hour.

I grew up in southern California, and we used to get those Santa Ana winds that were horribly strong like this. I used to like them because it would blow the smog out to the ocean, but those were only in the fall, just a once or twice a year thing.

Out here, just about every day is a bad hair day. I had some friends come in from Northern Cali, and I warned the women to bring things to wrap their hair up, otherwise they'd go outside and feel like a blind sheepdog with all their hair blowing in their faces. They didn't listen.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSquare

Of course the jet stream circles the entire northern hemisphere, it is one of the factors in your weather, as in ours. I read somewhere that the Atlantic Ocean tends to affect it's flow and direction, but I did find this site, which shows jet stream activity around the globe: squall.sfsu.edu...

It's hard to find one that shows it as a ribbon-like flow, as they do on the Weather Channel here in the US. That makes it easier to understand. I'll keep looking, however!!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

thank you.. that is exactly what I ment. Kind of hard to read if you don’t know what you are looking at. But for me no problem.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I wish I knew a good way to record that feed. I know there must be a way but I haven't had a need to video record what is on my screen before. ( ?? ). During Sandy though, the wind pattern for the entire eastern 40% or so of the nation was swirling like a hurricane vortex going clear out as far as Chicago. The center when I'd seen it and the storm itself was hitting New York City was somewhere in East-Central Pennsylvania. It was just something to see the sheer power represented in so much air moving over half a continent in a recognizable pattern to that storm.

Keep that site in mind the next time we get a major storm over the U.S.. I hadn't thought to check it that way until Sandy, but sure enough...It is recording for those big ones the same as any average day.

edit on 15-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I noticed something the other day when I went outside, it smelled like spring. Not just rain, or the whiff of flowers, it was full on spring. I could smell rain, red dirt stirring in a light north wind, the life of a tree returning from winter, and i got the sensation of when it was a long cold winter and spring was returning. It was odd, and jolted my senses because I knew good and well we haven't had a real winter in almost 2 years. I've been going outside barefoot and even though it snowed last week for a moment, and it never felt like late fall/early winter. The snow of course never lasts, but where are our ice storms we usually get? Even my animals aren't acting like it's almost winter. I know it's still early and we could see snow as far as March, but it doesn't feel like Christmas time to me this year. It feels like we are about to start warmer weather again. We had a brief downpour of rain yesterday, and that's all..and it didn't feel normal for me. I've lived in Oklahoma on and off my whole life and between the severe heat/drought the last two years, over growth of bugs from no winter, and the fact that I haven't even had to put on a coat has me feeling strange.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I know exactly what you mean , no coat in December , I can see no snow yet but the temps are astonishing to me.
There are bugs and the squirrels are playing...just odd to me and I miss snow.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The weather is horrible in the southern states right now. I looked on a radar and panned down there.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yep, it definitely feels spring-like down here. I'm glad there was no dangerous weather, it's just a hair too cool for things like tornadoes, but it was darned close.

Our weather is changing, there is no doubt, but whether this is just a cyclical abberation which will correct itself, or whether this is the new norm, is still to be seen.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Thanx FissionSurplus, for the heads up. I know my state wasn't mentioned but I'm gonna kinda keep an eye out anyway, as the weather has been a little off here lately too....I'm in NW Louisiana...Shreveport. Tonite, we have creepy fog and warm temps. I don't like fog...it is unnerving to me.

Two nites ago, we had a brief but noisy thunderstorm. The cat jumped 3 feet in the air every time a bolt hit. I had to wrap her up in a towel and give her some sugar, (kisses), to calm her down. Gave hubby a few as well but it didn't calm him down from his ideas.

It was odd here this weekend, putting up wreaths and other decorations that symbolize winter and Holiday season and wearing spring casuals while doing all that. Anyway, I hope our weather here settles in for a normal dealy anyhow. Louisiana has been having some "off" times of it of late. Thanx again and Blessings to you.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Hi lonewolf, I just moved back to NW Louisiana, from Wyoming, past Cody, near the entrance to Yellowstone park. That wind!! Hated it. The altitude was another factor for breathing troubles but that wind was bad like you mentioned, nearly every day! (Hubby drove truck too).

NW Louisiana is having a warm foggy, drizzley kinda nite so far. Rarely get snow here for Holidays but Wyoming was extreme in every way! The weather here can be wicked, (tornadoes) and such. Originally from Philly but don't miss it. Have a cozy, safe nite.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Yes same here, surrounded by desert flat land. When the sun shines in my house the air is FULL of dust particles. It is impossible to keep up on the cleaning of dust out of this house . We are looking into buying an industrial strength dust removal machine they use in wood shops, it is so bad here. We are also rocking our yard next week. It has always been windy here, but this year has been the worst. Every morning there is a layer of dirt on my floor.
We cant figure out how it all gets it here!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

I'm not a fan of warm temperatures in the winter for one basic reason: Cold fronts will interact with the warm moisture and cause nasty storms. This is exactly why fall and spring are considered "tornado seasons". Winter cold fronts are stronger and colder, of course, so the danger increases.

The weather out here in west Texas is forecasted to be 70 degrees tomorrow, followed by a high of 48 the next day. No moisture. I haven't put up my summer clothes because I still need them.

It will be very windy all week, dry and dusty. Tiresome weather, everything is dusty, inside and out. I wake up with bright red eyes that itch. I've almost given up on dusting, what's the point?

My cats are running around like wild animals today. I know they don't like the high winds, so all their energy is expended inside, but it's like they're on crack today.

I asked them if the world was coming to an end. From what I can ascertain, they communicated to me that they don't care, as long as their food dish stays full and they can continue to sleep on the bed.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

The dust particles are so fine, they actually get through my older windows and coat the windowsill with a fine layer.

Unless your house is totally air-proof (no house is), the super-fine dust gets in.

I could dust every day and it would still be dusty. We don't wash the truck that often, it's just too frustrating. We have a dirt road we have to drive down just to get to the road, so one wash, then drive to the road, and its dirty again.

I feel your frustration!! Today is another windy, dusty day. Sometimes I walk around with my glasses off, so everything still appears clean.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrevegal

Hi lonewolf, I just moved back to NW Louisiana, from Wyoming, past Cody, near the entrance to Yellowstone park. That wind!! Hated it. The altitude was another factor for breathing troubles but that wind was bad like you mentioned, nearly every day! (Hubby drove truck too).

NW Louisiana is having a warm foggy, drizzley kinda nite so far. Rarely get snow here for Holidays but Wyoming was extreme in every way! The weather here can be wicked, (tornadoes) and such. Originally from Philly but don't miss it. Have a cozy, safe nite.

Well i grew up in Kentucky myself, seen more snow in the winter than i have here in Arkansas. I'd like a white Christmas every now and then but it ain't gonna happen here. My neighbors says 40-50 years ago we used to get snow more in the winter but, not anymore. Is global warming a myth? I dunno, talk to some of these old-timers, they know more than the talking heads do! Or at least they know the truth.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join