It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suddenly many close calls on Space Weather

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
A week ago the only one in the red was 2012 DA14, now there are many more.

Space Weather: Many new close calls link

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Maybe I'm just not very concerned, but only 4 of them were within 1 Lunar Distance.
All the others don't seem to be very close. The closest was .6, that's still almost 200,00km. I wouldn't be worried about it.

ETA - 230,604.6 km to be exact.
edit on 14-12-2012 by watchitburn because: exact distance of closest.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

If only actual stories and news such as this was main stream....one of them are almost half the distance from here to the moon!

You think that would be news!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
You miss a few from Nov
But here my take on it and it going to get worst.
C 2012 XE54 at 141,000 miles or .589LD about 91 ft Tomorrow,www.abovetopsecret.com...

also here
C2012 VJ38 .6 Lunar Distance
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and here

Two New NEO 2012 VE26 & 2012 VQ6,
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-12-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Maybe I'm just not very concerned, but only 4 of them were within 1 Lunar Distance.
All the others don't seem to be very close. The closest was .6, that's still almost 200,00km. I wouldn't be worried about it.

ETA - 230,604.6 km to be exact.
edit on 14-12-2012 by watchitburn because: exact distance of closest.

I'm not concerned, I just think it is interesting how a week ago there was just one in the pink or red, now there are a bunch, but the ones coming close are not very big.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwaitingTruth

If only actual stories and news such as this was main stream....one of them are almost half the distance from here to the moon!

You think that would be news!

Yes Grasshopper, we are living in the matrix.

Here is a good place to start to unlearn your life, and I'm sure many others have other good suggestions:

Humans are Free link

Peace.....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
They need to put just a little of those 10's of billions for new systems in defense to something useful for a change. Each of those objects is a 100% free spacecraft to be a sensor platform if we just make the tech to use it. Especially the ones passing inside the distance of the moon. If we could just find a way to anchor a sensor package without destroying it in the process......Heck, within a few years, we'd have active sensors running all over the solar system. All for nothing but shooting at what is passing right by all the time.

........and yeah, I did notice that nothing was even close to 1 Lunar Distance that I recall a week ago. Now a bunch are showing close enough to at least take notice of. Hmm..

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I also find it a littl strange as I pay attention to that sight quite a bit. Maybe a big asteroid in the belt between Mars and Jupiter got hit just right and knocked a group of them out and in our direction. I like what the other poster said about using them as sensor vehicles. That is something that I have thought about alot in the past. Maybe someday we will see it come true. At least none of the close ones are too close. 200,000 km is still a ways away. It will be interesting to see if even more pop up over the coming weeks and months. It would also be interesting to determine if they all do have the same or similar origin within the asteroid belt.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I think the size of these "potentially hazardous asteroids" should also be taken into account. Most are between 10 and 30 meters. Not exactly planet killers....

Hardly a surprise that they would not detect them untill the last moment. (and hardly anything to worry about IMHO)

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Another thing to take into acount is the growing number of amatuer astronomers are out there searching for these things everynight world wide. It used to be you needed a large observatory to find them. With todays technology a high schooler can find them in while observing in his/her backyard.

Those smaller ones are the ones the meteorite hunters secretly wish would come down in non populated areas like large desserts so they can go look for their very valuable treasures.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Here you go. They talk about this asteroid they had no idea about, coming very close to hitting! It could have wiped a city the size of London out, if it had landed in the wrong place.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
What about 15 feb?? Only 0.09 LD with a diameter of 57 meter.. it is still pretty far away in human related distance but ok astronomical it is close

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSquare
What about 15 feb?? Only 0.09 LD with a diameter of 57 meter.. it is still pretty far away in human related distance but ok astronomical it is close

It is close, but at 57 meters it would only wipe out a city, but given that most of the planet is covered with water, if the trajectory was off slightly it would probably hit an ocean. I wonder what size tidal wave that would make?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

0.09 lunar distances

2012 DA14

2012 DA14 was discovered by the La Sagra Sky Survey in Spain on February 23, 2012. This object will make an extremely close approach to within 0.00024 AU of Earth on February 15, 2013. That is only about 0.09 lunar distances or about 4.5 Earth radii above Earth's surface. The uncertainties in plane-of-sky position, Doppler frequency, and time delay will grow dramatically during the approach, but even so, this object will not impact Earth. Not much is known about this object except its absolute magnitude of 24.4, which suggests a diameter within a factor of two of 50 m. Due to the extremely close approach, this object will be a very strong radar target at Goldstone and we hope to image it with the highest resolution available (3.75 meters) from the chirp system. 2012 DA14 will approach from the south and will enter Goldstone's declination range on February 16, 2013, shortly after the closest approach. Afterward it will be a circumpolar object as it recedes from Earth. Radar observations at Goldstone are scheduled on 2013 Feb. 16 and 17 and additional tracks may be added. We need additional astrometry to improve the orbit. As a result, below we list circumstances for optical observations starting many months before the encounter in order to help facilitate observations by optical observers. The apparent magnitudes will be fainter than 22nd until until the beginning of February, but the solar elongation will be only about 60 degrees, so obtaining optical astrometry will be challenging. In addition, the asteroid will be at far southern declinations until Feb. 15 when it rapidly moves from about -75 deg to +75 deg in only a few hours.

4.5 earth radii. Not close enough.
edit on 15-12-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
I wonder what size tidal wave that would make?

From the impact calculator (cool tool
)

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 200.00 km ( = 124.00 miles )
Projectile diameter: 50.00 meters ( = 164.00 feet )
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 20.00 km per second ( = 12.40 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 1000 kg/m3
Target Type: Liquid water of depth 200.0 meters ( = 656.0 feet ), over crystalline rock.

Gives us:

The impact-generated tsunami wave arrives approximately 1.3 hours after impact.

Tsunami wave amplitude is less than 42.2 cm ( = 16.6 inches).

Nothing big, I guess....

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Hey, thanks, that's cool! Not much of a worry for an ocean based impact for that one then..........

Just one question though, is that amplitude height for the open ocean or the shore on land impact.
edit on 15-12-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: addition

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Whoops...misunderstood the question. I don't know really,.....

I guess it is going with the 200mtr. dept all the way...

Peace
edit on 15-12-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I may be ignorant here........not the first time............you know how tsunami waves are tiny in the open ocean and the same ones hitting shore can be massive.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Could be unrelated, but might the fact that we are passing through the section of space that produces the Geminids as well as the trailing debris of a second comet called Wirtanen have something to do with it uptick? Just a guess, but I'd be curious to know if this might have something to do with it...

Wired - Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Virgil Cain
Could be unrelated, but might the fact that we are passing through the section of space that produces the Geminids as well as the trailing debris of a second comet called Wirtanen have something to do with it uptick? Just a guess, but I'd be curious to know if this might have something to do with it...

Wired - Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight

Meteor showers generally originate from a comet's (or asteroid's) trailing debris - those reported on that list are actual asteroids with an orbit. I too noticed the list yesterday and did think it strange, although, as it notes, they are always finding new ones. Here's the actual list from the IAU:

www.minorplanetcenter.org...

Note that they usually discover, on average, 6 or so a month, but have found 27 in the last 3 months, so a bit higher than average.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join