It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans, Isn't It Time To Require More School--And Other Public--Workers Carry Guns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Along with many others on these boards, I am tired of people blaming the lunacy of the few on guns. Gus are material, non-conscious objects. They do not kill people; PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. If you take away the legal guns, these shootings will happen with illegal guns hidden from confiscation or trafficked through Mexico. If you get rid of the illegal guns, these killings will happen with arrows, knives, ice pics, or anything else one of these idiots get their hands on. A lot of research went into the conceal and carry laws in the United States. Guns placed in the hands of responsible citizens save lives. If the teachers and administrators of this Connecticut school were allowed, or even required, to carry a firearm --to prevent this very tragedy--fewer would have died. Think about it. How many of the culprits of these shooting rampages have you heard about, who have passed the screening process for conceal and carry?. Yes, some will fall through the cracks. That's why the person standing next to the psychotic shooter needs a gun too.

People who execute these horrendous acts are looking for the biggest impact. They are unhappy with their lives and have made want to go out with a bang--no pun intended. As time goes on these attacks are going to get even more gruesome--to try and out-do the last one. They are looking to shock and TERRORIZE, to get their names and cause remembered by the most people-for the longest amount of time. The solution is to have someone there trained to take them out, before they claim so many innocent lives.
edit on 14-12-2012 by supertrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
all about that gun control enough said same with clackamas shhooting i liekd 2 minutes from there funny it was buy a century theatre, guys they should play the illuminati centry card again

link   
reply to post by supertrot

If anything, gun control laws are to blame.

Schools are "gun free zones", which is why they are targeted.

Maniacs know they can go on a rampage without any resistance.

link   

If anything, gun control laws are to blame.

Schools are "gun free zones", which is why they are targeted.

Maniacs know they can go on a rampage without any resistance.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

What's up with all the "isnt it time" threads?

What about taking our government back and global power before we start thinking about anything else.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Gun Free Zone = Safe Working Environment for the Criminally Minded.

I simply can't see it any other way. I agree with the CCW carry restrictions in places like Courthouses, Amusement Parks, Police Stations, Controlled Access Hospitals and the like...Those make sense. They make sense because the location is full of people who are already armed, better trained at it than I am and getting PAID to get shot at if things get nasty. My gun only makes for confusion there. Fair enough. In schools? There should never have BEEN a restriction.

If someone is legal to own one and then they have passed the background checks with fingerprinting and class training to get the permit ....then they are now among the statistically LEAST likely people to ever been involved in a criminal action using a firearm. They're the most likely to responsibly carry and handle a firearm. While a criminal is coming to school with a gun regardless of laws or signs or rules against it.

I'd also remind folks that concealed means CONCEALED. Not covered and not a cutesy little attempt to meet the bare minimum of the law. If someone is a responsible owner and carrier, you'll never know they have a gun anyway. That's the whole point. Carrying it Miami Vice style isn't concealed, IMO. It's a menace to society.

Why should schools ban those most likely to be the most needed when things are at their worst? It makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

I was doing a play on the other "Isn't it time" gun-hater thread.

We are at a huge crossroads with world government systems. All of the older politicians are trying to hold on to the old hateful ways that have ruled this little chunk of rock for hundreds of years. As more younger generation politicians take offices, we will either take back our freedoms and run the governments with more transparency and order; or, we will revolt and take it from the power-mongers by force.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It is time to stop most of those who have the right to own a gun from doing so.

Not because they are irresponsible with them, but because the guns become available to those who are irresponsible.

Until then, people will be shot en-masse on a regular basis.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
As a teacher, I think it's about time all schools are set-up with surveillance security cameras inside and out. They should be manned during school hours by armed security guards.

I would worry about teachers being armed, considering teaching teenagers can be quite stressful at times. Some students can really become down right nasty and confrontational, especially if they're connected to a street gang. I can see a scenario where a teacher could crack, pull his gun and in the heat of a student confrontation kill a student. We all know some people have a smaller threshold before their anger gets the best of them.

I would rather leave the guns in the hands of school police. They just need to be walking around the hallways and the school's perimeter instead of sitting in an office waiting until a teacher calls for assistance. It's just sad that schools even need security guards and metal detectors.
edit on 14-12-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

It is time to stop most of those who have the right to own a gun from doing so.

Not because they are irresponsible with them, but because the guns become available to those who are irresponsible.

Until then, people will be shot en-masse on a regular basis.

Do you really think this is a solution? This is just a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible situation. If you take the guns away from "most of those who have a right to own a gun", these disturbed individuals will still shoot people "en-mass on a regular basis", with less concern for their own safety or immediate consequences. Why do you think they chose a place where guns are prohibited? Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer would be proud!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If I was a governor of a state, this is what I would do.

Inside each school, there would be two gun lockers/safes.
One inside the principle’s office.
One inside the maintenance/janitorial room.
They would be quick access four digit safes.
They would be made of two inch think A500 steel.
The only people that would know the combination is the principle and the head janitor.
If one, or both, of those two was not competent to control access, then the next step down the authority ladder would assume that authority.

They would be like a fire extinguisher. Only opened in case of an active shooter/knife attacker incident.

Inside each safe would be a rack of AR10s with high capacity magazines of AP ammo already inserted.
In the top shelf will be bandoleers filled with prefilled mags ready to be grabbed and thrown over the shoulder. One bandoleer and one rifle, and go.

All you have to do is rack the bolt, turn the safety off, and fire.

308 AP would be effective against people with standard grade body armor, and they are accurate enough to engage a threat at a workable distance.

If an active shooter/knife attack event ever happened. Open the safe, and hand out the contents to anyone ready and willing to combat the threat. Experienced gun owners should have priority in the distribution of supplies.

Given drastic enough circumstances, students that have experience hunting should be among those that can be supplied if there is not enough (or enough willing) adults to fulfill the requirement.

That decision would be solely up to the person responsible for controlling access to the gun safes at the time of the incident.

And in all circumstances, necessity of the moment shall trump all laws.

And in addition to all of that, like my post in the other thread stated. Staff that have been cleared, should be allowed to carry their own weapons during the school day.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Only idiots think that the answer to a gun tragedy ...give more people guns..

There should be more gun control as in having to go through a mental exam in order to get a gun. More restrictions means less people get guns.

Where are these criminals getting these guns...they are buying from people who steal guns from legal gun owners.

Firearms Stolen during Household Burglaries and Other Property Crimes, 2005-2010

About 1.4 million guns, or an annual average of 232,400, were stolen during burglaries and other property crimes in the six-year period from 2005 through 2010.

On average, firearms were stolen in an annual average of about 4% of the 2.4 million burglaries occurring each year, in 2% of the 529,200 robberies, and in less than 1% of the 13.6 million other crimes involving theft from 2005 through 2010.

From 2005 through 2010, 86% of burglaries and 75% of other property crimes involving a stolen firearm were reported to police.

Also stop spreading lies...the only people who have guns are criminals ones....because Canada and other countries are not controlled by criminals like they are in the states.

Why else would you feel the need for protection if your lives were not constantly worried about criminals.
edit on 14-12-2012 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Where are these criminals getting these guns...they are buying from people who steal guns from legal gun owners.

If there was a way to bring the number of stolen arms down to zero, then the criminals would just buy more guns from mexico.

Stolen guns are readily available, and they still smuggle AK47s and MP5’s from Mexico.

Those drug dealers running around with full auto AK47s did not get them from people that stole them from people that got them from the local gun shop.

They come straight from Mexico, which got them straight from china.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have been thanked by numerous professors for breaking the rules and a long-time tenured geology professor told me in private (and behind several locked doors, might I add) that he feels much safer when he sees my name on his class register at the beginning of the semester. That is all I am willing to say on a public internet forum.

We don't need more gun control. We need more guns in the hands of trained individuals. Rather than locking harmless people up for possession of natural substances we should be spending that money to get principals, janitors, and teachers properly trained and equipped. One janitor with a $300 mossberg riotgun could have stopped this with a much much lower death toll. One teacher that had the gumption to say "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and made the decision to pack heat and the results would have still been tragic, but not as badly as this day's horrendous events.

More guns in the hands of the public = less violent crime. This simple statement has been proven time and time again. It's always the same. A state passes more liberal concealed carry laws and there is much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands saying "It's going to be like the wild west all over again!" Meanwhile, a year later violent crime makes double digit percentage drops and it NEVER EVER makes the New$.

That's not to say I am totally against all forms of gun control. If you use a gun aggressively or recklessly, I am in full support of stricter penalties. Armed robbery? Under the jail. Lose your frickin marbles temporarily and pull a piece on an unarmed person i.e. road rage? Choice. Jail or severe financial penalties paid TO THE VICTIM.

Penalizing otherwise law abiding citizens for attempting to protect themselves in a crazy world is not the answer.

I am 30 years old and have developed psoriatic arthritis in the past 6 months. I can barely make a fist anymore, much less throw a punch. I have serious doubts that I protect myself if i am unarmed, despite being over 6 feet tall, 200 lbs, and having had fifteen years of martial arts training in three different disciplines. However, what I can still do is draw a piece and say "Back off or die. Your choice." God made man, Sam Colt made him equal. That's not just a cutesy little saying on the front of an NRA hat. There's mounds of truth in that statement.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowreborn89
all about that gun control enough said same with clackamas shhooting i liekd 2 minutes from there funny it was buy a century theatre, guys they should play the illuminati centry card again

What?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
YES! Carry = safety.

I carried about half the time. And rarley to work. That changed today to carrying 100% of the time unless not allowed by law. And in Texas that means schools and hospitals for the most part. You can even carry in Church now (unless a legal 30.06 sign is posted). We all remember the Wedgewood Baptist Church massacre in Fort Worth. That was just a few miles from my home, and I actually attended there for a while.

Watch this. It took Kileen to wake up Texas and allow concelaed carry. May something like this never happen in Texas again. And since so many carry here, it probably won't. Except maybein a "gun free" (criminal safe) zone.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Idiot? Do some research. More responsible people carrying guns saves lives and reduces crime. In prisons, they make shanks--capable of killing--out of rolled up newspaper. Are we to ban all paper products too. You are evidently one who raises their hand and begs for a babysitter society.

We, the people of this world, must be the ones to stand up and put an end to this kind of violence. Relying on government and laws is an idiotic solution.
edit on 14-12-2012 by supertrot because: (no reason given)

top topics

join