It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice on purhcasing a weapon for home defence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hello all, Im mainly posting here because I like the ATS community and think some of you gun owners can help me out. Ive been thinking about buying a handgun or rifle for about a year to keep in the house incase of burglery, though I have no reason to believe it may happen I want to have it as an option. The problem is I dont have much money to throw around here and Im looking at a $200 range, which makes buying harder to figure out when dealing with used things. Some of my friends, who arent THAT knowledgeable to be honest, suggested I look into some of the rifles carried at Walmart, though I do hate shopping there >_< They said a decent handgun will cost more than a decent rifle. I also know that .22 is the best option for amo money wise. Im not looking for something fun and flashy, just a reliable weapon to grab if I ever hear some suspicious noises, which Im sure ATS members will understand.

Should I go for a rifle over a handgun? I know handguns offer more protection outside of the home, which is something I may look into in the future, but honestly I just want something to store in my home just in case, not carry around. That being said, Im still open to handguns if they are still a good choice at the $200. Understand I dont have the money right now, Im in the process of saving up as I am a online college student with a minimum wage job so making these purchases takes a little time to scrounge up the money.

I know buying used can be beneficial as well, money wise, but I just dont know anyone who would come down to a shop with me and make sure I dont screw myself. Any comments are greatly appreciated, and yes I am educating myself on gun safety and hope to join some sort of range in the future, i think it could be fun to shoot targets as well, but my goal is security. Thanks.
edit on 14-12-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If you're only concerned about close-range defense inside your home, in situations where you may not have a whole lot of time to line up a good shot, a tactical shotgun may be the best choice.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tehdouglas

Absolutely do NOT use a rifle for home defense. With your budget I would suggest a used remington 870 which is a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Shotgun. You might be able to get a used one for $200 and have some $ left over for a pistol grip.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tehdouglas

My opinion: 12 Gage Shotgun and practice, practice, practice

Shotguns for Home Defense - Myths and Realities

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Wow fast replies, I will definitely do some research into shotguns now that it seems to be the most commented choice. I admit the thought of a shotgun does seem more intimidating to me, but then again I am ignorant in this area.

Im also still interested if handguns are an option at that price range or if its far more worth it to save up a few more hundred? Its not that I cant save more, but I do have other expenses as well so its hard to make plans at the moment. Thankyou for the comments so far.

edit: thanks Redmoon im watching it now

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If it is strictly home defense, I would go with a 12 gauge pump shotgun that has an 18" barrel. The sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round will deter most people. You may be able to get a used Winchester Defender around your budget. It is a great gun. A Remington 870 would be next on my list. Get some 00 buckshot and you'll be in business.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Great home defense here and it wont break the bank.

Link

edit on 14-12-2012 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I was going to suggest the same thing. Shotguns are inexpensive and VERY effective. Get yourself some "double-aught" buckshot and accuracy wont be an issue.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Shotgun is the best option for an inexperienced firearm owner.

There are many 12 gauge shotguns in your price range. You don't need something fancy and tactical looking you need something easy to shoot that when you are scared and half asleep you can just shoot.

Thing to be conscious of when thinking home defense is penetrating power. Less is more in a CQB situation.

As someone said a rifle is absolutely what you don't want - it has too much velocity on the round and will penetrate several walls and ceilings as well placing others at risk from poorly aimed shots.

You can even get bean bag rounds if you have issues with killing someone - personally I don't recommend it as dead men can tell no tales. I have been shot (on purpose) with a bean bag round for training purposes. It’s not a pleasant experience and not one you can just shrug off and keep working through either.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Im also still interested if handguns are an option at that price range or if its far more worth it to save up a few more hundred?

A handgun you can buy for under 200.00 is not worth having IMO; besides if you are not well practiced/drilled and shoot it regularly you won't be very effective.

The shotgun was invented to compensate for those very things. It is quite simply a point and fire type thing.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Wow fast replies, I will definitely do some research into shotguns now that it seems to be the most commented choice. I admit the thought of a shotgun does seem more intimidating to me, but then again I am ignorant in this area.

Im also still interested if handguns are an option at that price range or if its far more worth it to save up a few more hundred? Its not that I cant save more, but I do have other expenses as well so its hard to make plans at the moment. Thankyou for the comments so far.

edit: thanks Redmoon im watching it now

You do not want to fool around with low-priced handguns. Save your money and buy a good quality one from a reputable manufacturer, even if it's slightly used. My personal choice is a HK .45 compact. Just as reliable US choices as well - Springfield XD models are real nice.

Ha, Golf beat me to it. Cheap handguns are scary. Like driving a Lada on a snow-covered Siberian road.

edit on 14-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

link   
The simplest answer:

Most people don't want to shoot anyone if they don't have to. Unskilled, half asleep in the middle of the night, nothing speaks volumes like the rack of a 12 gauge slide.

Tchk Tchk!

If you do have to shoot you are best off with something that doesn't over penetrate (like bird shot), has positive action (like a 12 gauge pump) and hits like the hammer of Thor at close range.

Twelve gauge pump shotgun with magazine extender and short barrel (18") should do. They make cheap ones at 200 or so (on sale), but really you should choose something reliable and solid. Remington 870 is a good brand. It can sit in your closet for years and still work when you need it most. Its more expensive but what is your life really worth? A "budget" variant might be a Mossberg or other "knock off".

Keep it simple. You don't need fancy stuff like lazers and flashlights and Dragons Fire exploding shells. Just 2-3/4 inch #8 bird shot. A couple boxes of Peters. You can have fun shooting it at the range once in a while and if the SHTF (big time) then you can also maybe hunt with it.

link   
Is it seriously unanimous? The weapons section is such a loving, close-knit community, lol.
Shotgun for sure. IDK about the price range, but, you can get an extremely reliable firearm for not much more, brand new. So probably could find one used? Good luck and happy holidays.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Good to know about the handguns, and that video was very helpful Red. Youve all been very helpful, im pretty much sold on looking for a shotgun in the $200 range, I have to log for now but if anyone else wants to post with advice or good brands/models to buy in that range It will be much appreciated! Goodnight.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
The simplest answer:

Most people don't want to shoot anyone if they don't have to. Unskilled, half asleep in the middle of the night, nothing speaks volumes like the rack of a 12 gauge slide.

Tchk Tchk!

Unless of course your perp is high as a weather sat, then it has zero effect. Watch the video posted above.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

If you do have to shoot you are best off with something that doesn't over penetrate (like bird shot),

Just 2-3/4 inch #8 bird shot.

This advice will get people (the wrong ones) killed.

You need at a minimum #1 Buck, and 00 Buck is better.

Birdshot is for killing little birds with hollow bones.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

The simplest answer:

Tchk Tchk!

Unless of course your perp is high as a weather sat, then it has zero effect. Watch the video posted above.

Well then you shoot. Personally I won't pre announce my intentions. Hunting is waiting for your game to come to you. Especially in the dark of your home. I said it for those who want to intimidate. High as a kite or not, everyone knows that sound. Idiots better think twice.

Like, "Gee, maybe theres a softer target in town."

There are a lot of scenarios where that could improve ones chances. If you just yell out, Who's there? Betty, is that you?" Or, "I am armed". Just doesn't cut it.

Other advantages to announcing might save someone's life. If it is someone you know and you let them know you are armed in the dark before "shooting at shadows".

Your daughters boy friend raiding the fridge... whoops.

As far as impact, I don't know of anyone that took a mass of 12 gauge to the midsection and kept coming. Fears of dope crazed zombie armies are unfounded. And if true and you pour 7 or 8 rounds into the intruder and it "has no effect"?

If it's your time, then it's your time.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by blacko

Birdshot is for killing little birds with hollow bones.

The wad can kill you at close range. So can a butt stock. Everyone thinks in terms of heavy firepower. Is it really needed? Most people will only see one time (if that) in their entire life when they have to shoot an intruder in their sheetrock walled apartment or house. If they wake up in time. If they get to their gun, if they load it, if they get the drop on the intruder, if they hit their target in total darkness. If, if, if.

OO buck kicks like a mule just a little less than a slug. Don't kill the neighbors or your family cowering in the next bedroom. The guy is not trained and not a shooter. This is his best option.

This isn't combat in Iraq guys.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Lots of good advice here, bud. Great for home defense is a big hungry dog! Get a German Shepard. Not only will a dog add to your defense plan but dogs are great for early warning.

Additionally, as important as your weapon is your Plan. What is your plan to dealing with an intruder? Do not plan on searching your house room by room with a loaded weapon. My plan goes something like this....hopefully I am able to secure my family upstairs in my bedroom. I call the police and tell them I have an intruder in my house. I tell them I'm baracaded with my family in my room. I'm armed and if the perp insists on coming through my door I'm going to shoot. They better hurry.

Get your weapon and practice practice practice. Spend a lot of time putting rounds down range. It needs to be an extension of your arm should you ever need it in an emergency. Remember, most encounters are going to be in low-light situations and less than ten feet, or so the statistics report. Also, shoot to kill; eliminate the threat.

Good luck! Be safe!
edit on 14-12-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join