It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does America Want Guns? Following the latest shootings.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

One can deduce that changing the gun laws in the US will not change the statistics.

It's a cultural thing going way back to the Wild Wild West days.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LPOPranger

Guns don't kill people! People kill people! You Brits and the rest of the progressive Euro trash don't have a clue. You still pay taxes to a "Royal Family" who by it's existance "KILLED" many people to become the one and only "Royal" family. You really need to educate yourself on history; the Brit's oppressed more people on earth than anyone else in history. You allowed or gave your rights away long ago; you are SHEEPLE! Sick people will always kill people; it has happened since the begining of time.

Idiot!

That was then.... we are talking about NOW!!!!

If you want HISTORY then we frigging ruled guns!
edit on 14-12-2012 by manmental because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Math is your friend! look up populations per million; More people more killings; England is a spec of dirt in the North Atlantic.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Guns don't kill people! People kill people! You Brits and the rest of the progressive Euro trash don't have a clue. You still pay taxes to a "Royal Family" who by it's existance "KILLED" many people to become the one and only "Royal" family. You really need to educate yourself on history; the Brit's oppressed more people on earth than anyone else in history. You allowed or gave your rights away long ago; you are SHEEPLE! Sick people will always kill people; it has happened since the begining of time.

I'm sure you're trolling, but whatever.

Look at the stats above. People do kill people, they kill them with guns. America has less freedom than most other major countries, yet they never shut up about their rights and freedom... it's strange. You can go on about your rights all you like, but the fact is thousands and thousands of Americans die each year due to guns, and only a handful in civilised countries. Those numbers aren't made up for in other methods of homicide, guns enable people to kill.
edit on 14-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Me also, I would love to see that country one day. It's a nice country and i really look forward to meeting it's people and what it has to offer. But unfortunately, there are some people in this world that would rather watch it burn. Maybe we aren't in a position to give advice on their gun control laws, but i'm just making a point on their presence in the rest of the world.

I just like to think that having guns outlawed would still bring deaths and take the defence away from many, but would reduce the numbers dramatically. And who's to say that they can't defend themselves some other way? Guns make it all too easy.

But that's just my opinion. I'm not expecting them to change for us. But at the same time, we are all affected by this, so do we have a say? Seems like america's view of invading a country in "future national interest" and "national security" - we are getting in before it becomes a bigger problem
edit on 14-12-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Because after taking a historical poll...

- "You catch wild pigs by finding a suitable place in the woods and putting corn on the ground.
The pigs find it and begin to come everyday to eat the free corn.
When they are used to coming every day, you put a fence down one side of the place where they are used to coming.
When they get used to the fence, they begin to eat the corn again and you put up another side of the fence.
They get used to that and start to eat again.
You continue until you have all four sides of the fence up with a gate in the last side. -

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Math is your friend! look up populations per million; More people more killings; England is a spec of dirt in the North Atlantic.

Ok.

Murder rates

US murder rate is 4.2. The UK's is 1.2. What now?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma

It's a cultural thing going way back to the Wild Wild West days.

You do realize that the amount of murders in the "Wild West" days was astoundingly low, right? Don't get your history from TV shows.
The Not So Wild, Wild West
edit on 14-12-2012 by JakeLeMaster because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
Some sobering stats:

Last year, handguns killed:
Japan -- 48

United Kingdom -- 13

Switzerland --- 34

Canada -- 52

Israel --- 58

Sweden -- 21

Germany -- 42

USA --- 10,728

edit on 14-12-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

Way to cherry pick your data. How about comparing all countries instead of just the 7 that help you make your point?
edit on 14-12-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

link   

You never ruled the USA; we sent you back to England with your tail between your legs and that is a fact! If there is and idiot on this post it is you! It is the break down in morals and right and wrong that causes these issues. The more you Libtards talk the idoit debate becomes clear because you are the idoit! You are probably in your 20 somethings and never had to fight/serve for anything in your life. You have this twisted and demented belief that more laws will fix the moral breakdown. It is already againist the law to murder therefore the people who do this don't obey the law. When Cain slew Able did he do it with a gun?????

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by madenusa

Yep, one step at a time (sides to the pig pen)...just like "degrees" to the frog's pot.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Ok.

Murder rates

Do you have any scientific studies showing the existence of guns are the cause of this?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I am not trolling; more people die in car wrecks than guns should we ban cars????

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Tell that to all the countries you have invaded and bombed.

Hey, hey, come on now. We were just taking a page out of the book of our father country. Maybe not the bombing...but the invading part. Yeah. Except we're still not as bad as England was once upon a time.

As far as the whole gun thing, well, you have to put yourself in the shoes of an American instead of looking in from the outside in the shoes of a Brit. Guns have been a huge part of our culture. It's not just weapons to use to kill or protect, they're also tools to use for things like competitions. There's a HUGE community of competitive shooters. But that's not where it stops. It goes right down to even making them. I have friends who are gunsmiths and they have an extreme love for designing and putting together guns. They're a cultural staple for us.

It would be almost like saying football is now banned in England because people have died in riots. Er...wait, maybe that's not a good analogy...

Anyhow, the want of guns goes right past the need for protection. I have a few guns, but I prefer to use a blade for defense. My guns are mostly for leisure and competitive shooting. I enjoy practicing the skill of shooting. It's a rather complex practice. A lot goes in to it. And I enjoy it because it's soothing to me as it may be soothing to another man to play a round of golf.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Originally posted by SpearMint

Ok.

Murder rates

Do you have any scientific studies showing the existence of guns are the cause of this?

When you put the number of firearm related deaths next to non-firearm related deaths and compare them to other countries it speaks for itself. Non-firearm related deaths aren't that different, firearm related deaths are through the roof. America probably would have a higher non-firearm related homicide rate if guns are taken away, but it certainly wouldn't be nearly as high as the firearm murders now. Guns are the problem, there is no doubt. The thing is you can't snap your fingers and remove all guns, but the longer it's left, the longer it'll take.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

I live in the UK and I am horrified by mass gun killings and the USA breeds them.

well.. since you don't live here then you don't understand.. being in a monarchy .. so .. since you don't I'll explain..

to protect ourselves from Tyranny

And hows that going so far?

Its seems like the only time a significant amount of you say anything about rights being stripped is when it has to do with your guns

Send American jobs overseas "grumble grumble grumble"

Bail out the banks that have basically stolen Americans citizens homes "murmur murmur murmur"

Invade countries and waste the lives of our soldiers for big corporations " whine whine whine"

Poison your food supply and feed your children drug cocktails " whimper whimper whimper"

Threaten to take your guns away " OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!! COME TRY IT YOU B@STARDS"

People are people the world over (Americans included) But some cultures are just plain sick and American culture is right up there with the sickest and worst

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I am not trolling; more people die in car wrecks than guns should we ban cars????

Are cars made to kill people or do they serve a purpose?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am so sad today by this news. Lets be honest. The only winner in this, is the goverment. They will have most the public behind them on new gun control laws.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

You have 56.1 million people the US has 311.5 million; we have guns you don't. Have a sip of tea and send more money to the royal scum!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmental

Originally posted by CudiTheKid
For one thing, it's in our Bill of Rights in the Constitution, and that document is sacred to us. Secondly, we don't trust our government these days, and looking back through history, we have good reason to be worried. Thirdly, hunting is big over here.

Ask yourself why you need guns?????????????

The UK is a tiny island surrounded by enemies (on one side) but we don't have guns.

We are WAY more vulnerable than USA but we don't resort to #ty frigging GUNS.

GUNS are bad!

If one of those enemies who surrounds you(how can you be surrounded on one side?) was to attack you, then the most powerfull country on earth(same one with all those wackos with guns) would bomb them back into the stone age. You are not way more vulnerable.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join