It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Swiss men have military firearms at home..........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
And yet their gun crime is much less than the US.

So obviously high rates of gun ownership do not necessarily lead to higher rates of gun crime.

It is a fact.

Snopes on Swiss gun ownership

The 2nd Ammendment is important, I would not relinquish it.

edit on 14-12-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

As much as I would like to agree there is one problem with that fact. Swiss men do a mandatory military service. So they are actually trained and required to stay proficient. So gun ownership is dependent on military service in Sweden, not that mandatory military service is a bad thing.
edit on 14-12-2012 by hangedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.

Lets face it. The problem is not "guns". To suggest that guns are the problem is incredibly misguided or simply put, stupid.

The US is number 1 in everything: highest prison population, highest debt, highest number of people on welfare, etc etc etc.

Our country is just screwed up.

edit on 14-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

As much as I would like to agree there is one problem with that fact. Swiss men do a mandatory military service. So they are actually trained and required to stay proficient. So gun ownership is dependent on military service in Sweden, not that mandatory military service is a bad thing.
edit on 14-12-2012 by hangedman13 because: (no reason given)

Sure. But training just cuts down on accidents with guns - but not really relates to increased incidents of psychopathic behavior involving guns.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.

Guns are rooted deep in US culture as well, aren't they?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

exactly, and, arguably, it makes you more proficient in killing

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The swiss also made a law that every home and business have a fallout shelter.

A gun is a tool like any other but some just can't wrap their heads around that..

Easier to blame a thing for an act that is already illegal.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
High time somebody pointed that out . The truth is that when a woman screams in the night in Switzerland there's a very good chance that whoever made her scream will likely have to answer to an armed man in pretty short order .

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree with the tool analogy and it's how I was raised as well. I can't help but wonder why some can't see it as simply as that? I will admit there were guys I grew up with that got an almost creepy inner glow about them...a near psychotic power trip vibe after they bought themselves a gun. I tell you I saw it but I can't say I ever understood it.

Even carrying one has never been at all "neat". It's a pain in the butt, truth be told. The movies don't mention things like body moisture causing rust which requires near nightly cleaning after carrying on concealed weapons. No one mentions the wear spots worn right into car seats if the small of the back is preferred,,,,,and we wont even get into the little question of using the bathroom stall in a busy public restroom, right? (I'll bet you know what I mean..others may take a moment for the problem to hit).

It's almost more trouble than it's worth.....except that 1 time statistics say I'm bound to meet violent crime as an intended victim will be the time I left it at home. Fate just works that way. lol...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
And yet their gun crime is much less than the US.

So obviously high rates of gun ownership do not necessarily lead to higher rates of gun crime.

It is a fact.

Snopes on Swiss gun ownership

The 2nd Ammendment is important, I would not relinquish it.

thank

you ...

STar and Flag .. !!!!! enough said ~!!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I dont want to sound racist (afterall the perpetrators of the recent shootings have been white) but aren't most swiss residents Caucasian (white)? No gangbangers or hip-hop lyrics to influence violence. No drug culture. And obviously a saner population.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

What I was getting at was that some who should not be allowed near any kind of fire arm would quickly get weeded out. Problem here in the states is that it's not ever anybodies fault, some reason or the other makes it happen, You know like the persons home life, upbringing etc. Not to mention when you actually have some one arrested after a event like this the defense always seems to default to the insanity plea. Do we lock up rabid dogs? No they get put down. The people who commit crimes like this should be having their lives ended not be locked away for years till they get old and it is decided they served their time and are released?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You all are missing the point, this is what it says:

This is in a very large part due to Switzerland's unique system of national defence, developed over the centuries.

Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives.
Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home.

Do you undergo military training in the States in order to acquire a gun ? # no, you just buy one. big difference
edit on 14-12-2012 by ArtooDetoo because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2012 by ArtooDetoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree with the tool analogy and it's how I was raised as well. I can't help but wonder why some can't see it as simply as that?

Because they don't want to they really don't.

In the average household there is a lot of "death" sitting around from chemicals in cleaners, to lawn mowers to chainsaws. and gas, and other things.

The vilification will never end because they just simply do not want to.
edit on 14-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

I dont want to sound racist (afterall the perpetrators of the recent shootings have been white) but aren't most swiss residents Caucasian (white)? No gangbangers or hip-hop lyrics to influence violence. No drug culture. And obviously a saner population.

In terms of regular gun violence, I understand where you are coming from, but in terms of mass murders with guns, what has been the predominant ethnicity of the shooters?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtooDetoo

To whom much is given (responsibility as a part of a real national militia) much is required (restraint).

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Of the mass shooters....I wonder how many are the subject of "mind control" programs? If you wanted to demonize white, middle class gun owners you wouldnt pick a different race to further that agenda anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

What I was getting at was that some who should not be allowed near any kind of fire arm would quickly get weeded out. Problem here in the states is that it's not ever anybodies fault, some reason or the other makes it happen, You know like the persons home life, upbringing etc. Not to mention when you actually have some one arrested after a event like this the defense always seems to default to the insanity plea. Do we lock up rabid dogs? No they get put down. The people who commit crimes like this should be having their lives ended not be locked away for years till they get old and it is decided they served their time and are released?

I have no problem with gun ownership rules being a little more stringent, as they are here, in Canada - but if you look at the motivation for the founding fathers and the 2nd Ammendment - it is basically the last protection against tyranny if all other safeguards have failed.

It is reasonable to guard against psychopaths and the like obtaining firearms - but it shouldn't be a slippery slope of increasing regulation.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Funny that, we can look at it a different way as well.

Japan
0.6 gun owners out of every 100 people whom possess a firearm,
11 homicides a year caused by fire arms.

The United States
88 out of every 100 persons with fire arms in their possession,
Over 9,000 gun related homicides per year:

www.guardian.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

It's not merely about the guns, it's about the culture of guns in this country, it's about how we manage and enforce our laws.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
They also never carry them anywhere and have them locked.I like the swiss system. You are trained in the military and keep the weapon you are trained with. The problem in the us isnt gunonership, its a lack of training and not locking your guns away in a time of peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join