It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Governor Holding off on Signing Bill to Increase Where Firearms Can Be Carried.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Just when we finally got a win here in Michigan with the bill being passed, now the Governor is holding off on signing the bill into law. I'm sure it will only be until this most recent incident blows over. I hope this does not quash the entire bill because I believe it is a step in the right direction.

thinkprogress.org...

On Thursday, one day before the tragedy in Connecticut where at least 29 people were killed at an elementary school, the Republican-controlled Michigan legislature passed a bill that would allow people to bring guns into schools.

Amidst a lameduck session that has spawned a host of right-wing legislation, including a so-called “right-to-work” law and an extreme abortion ban, a “sweeping rewrite of Michigan’s concealed handgun law” was also approved yesterday. The legislation changes Michigan’s gun laws in a number of ways, including making it easier for people to receive a gun permit and opening up “gun free zones,” including schools and elsewhere, to people carrying concealed firearms.

And most importantly...

Most of the attention on the new bill has focused on provisions allowing hidden handguns in places where they are now forbidden, such as schools, university dorms and classrooms, and sporting stadiums.

I did not create this thread to argue gun control as that argument never get's anywhere. I am just pointing out one of the effects this incident is already having in our state government. When I was taking college classes I hated that the campus was a gun free zone. I do hope he waits a few weeks and then passes this legislation. I'm sure it will be a tough decision fo him especially with all of the protesters that came to the capitol today to protest this bill and gun control specifically. I know I will get a myriad of different opinions here but I will not allow myself to be baited into a repeating argument on gun control. All opinions are welcome here.
edit on 14/12/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

And why would being allowed to carry a weapon in a school be a bad thing?

Incase you missed it.. you can't bring guns into school now. And yet school shootings still happen. Something tells me that someone on their way to a massacre and suicide really don't give a damn about what laws they break.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Maybe you missed something because I am all for it. Nowhere did I say bringing a gun to school is a bad thing. I said I hated going to school in a gun free zone because I am a law abiding citizen who would leave my gun in my car rather than carry it to class and risk becoming a felon. I believe there should be no restrictions where legal law abiding citizens can carry guns. Honestly your response makes no sense to me unless you did not read the article or what I had to say. I think all of this has many people confused today. Let me be clear. I want this bill to pass so gun free zones and other restrictions go away.
edit on 14/12/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

join