It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

December 21st, 2012 11:11am GMT - Snapshot from Earth and Sun.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You know Phage, I've heard you talk on the ATS Live show before, and I've read a ton of your posts on here. I respect you a lot and totally understand your perspective on things. So, dont take this the wrong way - I just want to make you and others think about something for a minute..

Where were you 26,000 years ago?

I wasn't around. I have no idea what the planet looked like then, who the Mayans really were, or even if people rode around on dinosaurs like they were horses...

Do you have an open mind about anything at all or do you always stick to modern day science 100%? You yourself are quoting sources stating the Mayans probably thought the Earth was flat and had four corners, etc etc... despite having so much intelligence to watch the stars and use them as a navigational source - seems sort of ironic, doesn't it?

I have no clue at all what - if anything - will happen Friday; most likely it will be just like any other day.

But, I do know one thing. If people stop being open-minded about things and destroy their imaginations, then society will never get anywhere.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Time2Think because: typos

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

A lot of so-called "facts" aren't actually "facts", we're just supposed to believe them - for example, things like the planet is X billions of years old.

Of course, I'm not saying that I don't believe it is or is not. I'm saying that no one actually knows or can prove it.

Radiocarbon dating isn't very accurate up to billions of years, especially when it comes to things like inorganic materials, now is it? And that's a fact.

Radiocarbon dating (usually referred to as simply carbon dating) is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to estimate the age of carbon-bearing materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years. (source = Plastino, W.; Kaihola, L.; Bartolomei, P.; Bella, F. (2001). "Cosmic Background Reduction In The Radiocarbon Measurement By Scintillation Spectrometry At The Underground Laboratory Of Gran Sasso". Radiocarbon 43 (2A): 157–161.)

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 16-12-2012 by Time2Think because: added some music for your enjoyment

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22
My pic

Cool.

Glad they didn't create a black hole and destroy the earth.

Best Regards,

NAM

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
my god that was hard work but i did it. i read it all.
Why do such highly educated people hang around here? Surely there are forums where this protected species can mingle amongst peers with out the frustration of dealing with the rest of us ignorant folk.

Its becoming so that ones scared to say a word that cant be referenced in some creditable textbook somewhere.

Every one knows science causes cancer anyway.

i believe that dec 21st will herald a new age in which all baby boomers will ascend up their own posterior. The rest of us will then make a nice cup of tea and ponder how lovely it is to finally have the place to ourselves.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Time2Think

A lot of so-called "facts" aren't actually "facts", we're just supposed to believe them - for example, things like the planet is X billions of years old.

Of course, I'm not saying that I don't believe it is or is not. I'm saying that no one actually knows or can prove it.

Radiocarbon dating isn't very accurate up to billions of years, especially when it comes to things like inorganic materials, now is it? And that's a fact.

Radiocarbon dating (usually referred to as simply carbon dating) is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to estimate the age of carbon-bearing materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years. (source = Plastino, W.; Kaihola, L.; Bartolomei, P.; Bella, F. (2001). "Cosmic Background Reduction In The Radiocarbon Measurement By Scintillation Spectrometry At The Underground Laboratory Of Gran Sasso". Radiocarbon 43 (2A): 157–161.)

en.wikipedia.org...

Which is why Radiocarbon dating is only used with certain sedimentary rocks as that dating technique has a very short half life.

Where as with igneous rocks we use Radiometric Dating which uses much longer half life isotopes.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
On the 21st December 2012, the Mayan Apocalypse is going to happen at 23:45 Hrs.

It is...it's going to be broadcast on UK TV channel More 4.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

How did you get this view in Celestia? Can you tell me how to get similar view? I'd like to take a look for myself and "speed" up time, but I can never get the program to give me a solar system view with lines.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Radiometric dating (often called radioactive dating) is a technique used to date materials such as rocks, usually based on a comparison between the observed abundance of a naturally occurring radioactive isotope and its decay products, using known decay rates.[1] It is the principal source of information about the absolute age of rocks and other geological features, including the age of the Earth itself, and can be used to date a wide range of natural and man-made materials. Together with stratigraphic principles, radiometric dating methods are used in geochronology to establish the geological time scale.[2] Among the best-known techniques are radiocarbon dating, potassium-argon dating and uranium-lead dating.

en.wikipedia.org...

Am I reading this incorrectly or is this simply stating that radiocarbon dating, potassium-argon dating, and uranium-lead dating are different types of Radiometric dating?

Radiometric Dating and the Geological Time Scale Circular Reasoning or Reliable Tools?

I'm sure there are already plenty of threads debating the age of the planet around here, and I'm not trying to switch topics - just merely pointing out a few things.

Enjoy the holidays.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Time2Think because: fixed typos

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join